Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)
  • The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Noticed they edited out the points in the Johnson fight were Khabib got shook. I think if T-Ferg is going to win, it’s going to be via punches to the face.

Looking forward to the embedded shows this week.

jimjam
    Free Member

Looking forward to the embedded shows this week.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aocerFfbWJg[/video]

ctk
    Free Member

I want Khabib to win but if Khabib is favourite I’ll place a bet for Tony. 6″ reach advantage, great takedown defence, and good on the ground even if Khabib gets hold of him. Going to be a great fight.

I see Woodley winning the other with an improvement on the previous performance.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bisping vs GSP?

Guess rankings really do mean nothing.

jimjam
    Free Member

Conor was busy.

Jamie
    Free Member

Guess CM Punk was washing his hair.

jimjam
    Free Member

HASHTAG Will watch though.

arrpee
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

Bad weight cut it seems.

Looks like he ain’t going to make weigh-in. Heh…T-Ferg called it at the face-offs.

Well **** 🙁

100% cancelled.

jimjam
    Free Member

Weekend ruined.

arrpee
    Free Member

Time for some more weight classes? Early weigh-ins seem to be backfiring somewhat.

Jamie
    Free Member

Going to be recording, rather than staying up now.

Solid card with Vanata and T-Wood and Wonderboy, but lost some of its gloss.

ctk
    Free Member

FFS. As far as I’m concerned that should count as a loss for Khabib and a win for Tony. (I was hoping Khabib would win BTW) & Tony should get paid.

jimjam
    Free Member

Still a good card but Tony v Khabib was something special.

arrpee

Time for some more weight classes? Early weigh-ins seem to be backfiring somewhat.

I think that’s two separate issues. More weight classes would be good, and might help the situation but nothing to say you wouldn’t get say…Tyron Woodley cutting even further to compete at 165 or even 160.

The early weigh ins are good but apparently fighters are having issues with the time of day. What they really need to do is adopt One FC’s weight protocals with regular weigh ins through the year and hydration tests come fight weigh in.

ctk
    Free Member

Hunt vs Overeem worth watching. Walk away K.O and two fingers to the UFC from Hunt would be good!

warton
    Free Member

they have to change the system.

agree a level of hydration with the authorities that is deemed safe. and weigh at that hydration level. thats what you fight at.

Khabib should be a 170 fighter, he probably walks around at 185. to cut 30 lbs or so is insane.

look at Woodley last night, he is huge. he must walk round at 200lb or so.

I’m 5’11 and my race weight is bang on 70kg, and I am stick thin when I am down there, yet its what Conor thought at against Alvarez, and he was big. he’s walking round at 175ish, so why fight at 155, or even 145?

somethings got to change, or the next time we’l be talking about a death.

jimjam
    Free Member

warton

I’m 5’11 and my race weight is bang on 70kg, and I am stick thin when I am down there, yet its what Conor thought at against Alvarez, and he was big. he’s walking round at 175ish, so why fight at 155, or even 145?

Because in grappling weight makes a huge difference. If I’m sparring with someone at BJJ who is my weight it’s easy (for want of a better word). With a 5kg weight advantage I can beat someone who has 3-4 years more training than I have. 10kg advantage and it feels like fighting a child.

Khabib should be a 170 fighter, he probably walks around at 185. to cut 30 lbs or so is insane.

He’s not that big, Tony Ferguson walks around at 170/175 and lots of people have commented at how he’s relatively small. But I agree with all of your comments re weight cutting – hydration tests should be the norm.

warton
    Free Member

All good points JimJam.

Thinking of giving BJJ a go. As a 42 year old with no grappling or martial arts experience I imagine I’ll spend a couple of years being manipulated like a child.

jimjam
    Free Member

warton

Thinking of giving BJJ a go.

Do it. It’s one of the most difficult but rewarding things you’ll ever do. Who knows where you’ll be, or what you’ll be doing in ten years….but you might as well be a black belt while you’re doing it 🙂

There are a lot of pitfalls that beginners can fall into and they are relatively fresh in my mind so I’ll be happy to point them out to you.

As a 42 year old with no grappling or martial arts experience I imagine I’ll spend a couple of years being manipulated like a child.

For your first few classes yes, but it’s amazing and humbling to be utterly helpless against another person. After about 6 weeks you’ll be able to handle new comers your own size or slightly bigger. After 6 months you’ll be able to catch higher belts your own size or slightly smaller whilst utterly destroying untrained people regardless of size – but at the same time, you’ll still be a grappling dummy for people a few grades higher, which keeps it compelling.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well that was a fun card. (Hunt/Reem-Vanata/Teymur-Elkins comeback etc)

Not the main event of course. That was tepid.

*hops off Bearjew hype train*

greentricky
    Free Member

Hunt and the reem are two of my favourite fighters and that finish made me feel from down, was not happy to see Alastair do that.walk off ko for hunt would of been magical.

arrpee
    Free Member

Wow.

A tonne of amazing fights announced in the last few days.
    Personal highlights will be:

Edgar vs. Rodriguez – Big test for Rodriguez. On paper, Edgar’s got everything you’d need to nullify his flamboyance – crisp footwork, strong wrestling, endurance and a good chin.

Maia vs. Masvidal – Attractive if slightly baffling. Masvidal seems to have really capitalised on the win over Cerrone to jump this far up the rankings. Maia not getting a title shot makes me wonder if Woodley’s finally getting his money fight?

Holloway vs. Aldo – Can’t wait for this one. With all the recent chicanery, it’s going to be so refreshing to see the right fight happen, i.e. a worthy champion defending the belt against the top contender.

Honourable mention for Silva vs. Gastelum. Very savvy move from Gastelum to call him out, securing a lucrative and very winnable fight with a guy who still attracts a lot of attention. I can’t see him giving Silva the kind of respect he seemed to generate in Brunson.

jimjam
    Free Member

UFC London pre-lims are on live right now till 9;30 on Fightpass. Free previews…use your wife’s email acc if you’ve already registered and don’t want to pay 😉

Some decent fights on it. No big names as such but a few upandcomers. You can watch them later if you’re kids are about etc. Gonna get the beers in and cheer on Joe Duffy.

rs
    Free Member

re. the weight cut thing, anybody see the bit on BBC iplayer, forget what its called now but was on the first page yesterday, I never realized the extents they go to to get down to the category weight. Its pretty messed up!

rs
    Free Member

thats the one

Jamie
    Free Member

Better late than never.

Jamie
    Free Member

Diakiese vs Groovy Lando, pls.

jimjam
    Free Member

Jamie – Member

Diakiese vs Groovy Lando, pls.

Not a bad shout. Lando’s last fight with Teymur was a war, great fighter to watch. He might be a bit small for lightweight though.

arrpee
    Free Member

Cormier vs Rumble this eve. Reckon DC will do it again, but wouldn’t bet my pension on it.

ctk
    Free Member

What about DC’s weigh in? Hands resting on the towel!

arrpee
    Free Member

At least his tits are real.

BoardinBob

Reckon DC will do it again, but wouldn’t bet my pension on i

DC looked like an AIDS ravaged crack addict at the weigh in/ towelgate

jimjam
    Free Member

DC looked, rough shuffling towards the scale.

jimjam
    Free Member

Bellator 179 on Channel 5 tonight. Prelims on Spike apparently.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s on. August 26th. Las Vegas.

Mr McGregor is about to become a veeeeeery rich man.

jimjam
    Free Member

McGregor 7/1.

Jamie
    Free Member

McGregor 7/1.

Hmm. Worth a punt.

nwill1
    Free Member

Connor has nothing to lose and everything to gain…if he gets humiliated he’ll walk away laughing with $millions in the bank!!

If he wins…wow.

I’m not writing him off he is a special athlete and ‘Money’ is not in his prime…Connor is!

ctk
    Free Member

2 horse race. I’d have a punt at 7/1.

Thank god they’ve finally set a date!

Difficult to see Mcgregor going back to UFC for such comparatively small money.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘The UFC/BELLATOR/MMA Thread.’ is closed to new replies.