Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • The Ubiquity of Drugs
  • SaxonRider

A friend of mine returned from Glastonbury, and was telling me about some of the antics her and her friends got up to, including the amount they drank. I smiled, and asked about how much weed they smoked, and she explained that she doesn’t do drugs, but that no one really smokes weed anymore. She went on to say that some of her friends were using cocaine, while most of the people at the festival were popping ecstasy or crystal meth.

WTF?!?

When did drugs like that become so ‘normal’? Or have they always been?

When I was young and we were told about different drugs, I was always under the impression that if you took something like cocaine even once, you could get hooked and your life ruined. Was that all just a lie?

Does what my friend reported to me mean that all sorts of people I know but never imagined doing drugs are actually snorting/popping/ingesting shit all the time?!?

IHN

I have never used recreational drugs and am no expert, but I’m not surprised at recreational use of (normal) cocaine and ecstasy at a festival.

Crystal Meth however, that’s just proper nasty shizzle, on a par with crack cocaine, innit? I’d be surprised if it was the kind of thing that someone would have an occasional dabble at.

jam-bo

Was that all just a lie?

yes

tjagain

Yes it was a lie. Cocaine is not addictive in the real sense of the word and to have any sort of dependency on it take a lot of money and dedication. MDMA is non addictive – tolerance builds so quickly that you simply can’t stay high any length of time

Cocaine does turn people into really unpleasant arses tho and can be very destructive

Meth is pretty unpleasant and not that common anymore in rave culture I believe but times change and so do fashions in drugs. I am hardly down with the kids any more

the music scene has been awash and strongly linked with drugs since the 50s.

Ska and skinheads – amphetamines.

Psychedelia – cannabis and lsd

Rave / dance music – mdma and amphetamines

Reggae – cannabis

Raga – cocaine

Large sections of society take drugs regularly with little ill effect.

loddrik
    Free Member

Getting hooked on powdered cocaine is pretty hard to do. As someone who has been around it for most of my adult life, as were most of my associates (though I’m long since away from both), no one I know ever for addicted, despite copius amounts consumed over the years.

Crack on the other hand is a different matter. Never encountered meth in the UK though.

scotroutes

Glastonbury = middle class = cocaine

mikey3
    Free Member

Do any of you actually know what you are talking about? I mean like actual experience not just reading a pamphlet.

SaxonRider

Do any of you actually know what you are talking about? I mean like actual experience not just reading a pamphlet.

I don’t, which is why I’m asking.

finbar
    Free Member

I’d argue drugs are way less ubiquitous at Glastonbury than they were before the superfence went up / it turned quite so middle class.

First time I went was 2000 (and I’m sure that’s far from the peak of the crazy years in the early-mid 90s), and I remember dealers openly walking around the campsites shouting out “HASH, TRIPS, Es, WHIZZ; GET YOUR HASH, TRIPS, Es, WHIZZ”. It was a simpler time 😀

From that year I also remember two policeman walking through our campsite (probably the only police I saw all week), politely enquiring “have you seen a couple of Welsh guys with axes come through here?”.

That said, I was working on the emergency exits/paramedic access gates for the main arena at Leeds festival last year, and in 16 years of going to and working at festivals, I’ve never seen so many drugs casualties. Mostly “legal” highs. A lot of kids were appallingly messed up.

loddrik
    Free Member

Oh yes, very much so.

kimbers

first time I went to Glastonbury, (before the wall went up), it was all weed & ectsacy, mushrooms, still plenty of acid, travellers being on the edge and general hippies feeling the love.

Last time I went I had a moment of clarity at 3am in a glade, everyone was checking their phone for updates on where the next ‘secret’ set by fat boy slim was gonna be and every other person seemed to have a little coke sniffer, designer wellies and shades, que for showers, on the first day …..

It is a lot safer these days tho.

Anyway drugs fashion come and go

Maybe one day soon we’ll all be drinking the shaman’s post magic mushroom piss again 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think anyone who’s been to a pub in the centre of any provincial town has had to wait for a toilet cubicle while the occupants hoover up a line from the cistern. The other conspicuous issue with coke is that those who’ve recently tooted a line are generally unbearable company for a while.

If folk want to indulge on a night out or at a festival, then it’s their lookout. The vast majority of recreational drug users are fully functioning, contributing members of society. Personally, I find tax avoidance more morally offensive than drug taking.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if it was the kind of thing that someone would have an occasional dabble at.

I understand from watching Breaking Bad that Crystal Meth is rather moreish.

SaxonRider

Personally, I find tax avoidance more morally offensive than drug taking.

To be clear: I said and wish to imply, nothing about the morality of it. I am not clear on that aspect myself.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The OP, yesterday 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvzlf-4PJQ[/video]

lazybike
    Free Member

I just had to look up the meaning of ubiquity…It’s good to learn a new word!

jambourgie
    Free Member

most of the people at the festival were popping ecstasy or crystal meth.

I doubt it, that’s still quite rare over here. I suspect you meant meth as in Methedrone (not to be confused with Methadone – a heroin substitute)

loddrik
    Free Member

Anybody looking at ‘faces of meth’ would probably have second thoughts before getting stuck in. I gather meth is potentially addictive from the first go. Though I’m site that also depends on the person.

Crack I find to make me too paranoid to really enjoy it. I’ve needed temazepam or similar straight after to deal with the come down paranoia.

Cocaine with a few drinks is enjoyable as long as it doesn’t develop into a 4 days bender with it often did in my younger years. I learned much more moderation as I got older. I don’t drink now and haven’t for a few years which means I’ve not really had anything else too.

The wife and I will probably go to Glastonbury next year so I’ll probably get on it properly then though.

Best experience overall is some decent ecstasy in a really good club (drum and bass for me) with NO cocaine (ruins the effect) and drink water.

tjagain

I don’t think this guy is just high on life

SaxonRider

I suspect you meant meth as in Methedrone

I’ll go with that!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whilst Cocaine may not be addictive chemically, Socially and habitually it definitely is.

I had a couple of mates who, in the end up, couldn’t go a night out without it, one ended up 12k in debt purely down to his habit.

Added to the fact most of the time you haven’t a clue what’s in it as well, sod that.

loddrik
    Free Member

I agree with the above, it is absolutely socially addictive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I understand from watching Breaking Bad that Crystal Meth is rather moreish.

crystal meth = meth-amphetamine =/= amphetamine = speed/wizz

So I’d go with a mix of lying and not knowing the difference on that one.

The one that pisses me off more is nitrous, most other drug users seem to stick to some unwritten rule and dispose of the paraphernalia discreetly, not just discard the canisters everywhere.

lazybike
    Free Member

One of my favourites from back in the day was amphetamine sulphate..not tried any “modern” drugs so no idea how it compares..ketomin and pills seem popular round my way..

emsz
    Free Member

Hello lovlies, just back from Glas.

Drugs….hmmmm I reckon that in all the years going there’s probs less drugs these days that ever, Searches are pretty hard when you que to get in, and there are sniffer dogs and amnesty bins all over the place. (although the cops did arreset some dude down by the Park stage on Sat night)

I’ve bought MDMA and herb there before, wouldn’t bother now, and I reckon coke and harder stuff wouldn’t be to hard to get hold of TBH, never seen stuff like mushrooms, but some of the old hippies would probs kno where to get it I suppose. Legal stuff all over the place tho.

Mind you, I was knackered by Sunday, and wanted to go home haha can’t keep up anymore

tjagain

You can mess yourself up properly on pretty much any drug – and cocaine being very moorish and expensive plus making you into an arse means if you do get into difficulty with it then its pretty spectacular.

Bunch of my pals went from occasional to regular/ frequent users of cocaine, realised it was becoming an issue in affecting the rest of their lives and then they all stopped just like that. I doubt any of them have had any now for years. No withdrawal

SaxonRider

Hi emsz! Good to see you.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    middle class = cocaine

Coke is rampant in all classes these days. I don’t really understand why, it’s a terrible drug, particularly for the price. Weed does seem to be disappearing among the younger generation, probly an affect of the smoking ban/campaigns, and smoking becoming more and more socially unacceptable imo. Eccies are back to being mental, have been for some years. Meth I’ve never really heard of tbh.

to the OP, yes the whole addictive patter is largely nonsense, to a point, addiction is more to do with the person and their individual susceptibility to addiction. The vast majority can take drugs in a take it or leave it weekend recreational fashion.

Keva
    Free Member

Added to the fact most of the time you haven’t a clue what’s in it as well, sod that.

very little cocaine most of the time, probably about 20-30% these days. The rest of it is probably ephedrine, caffeine, nicotine and other such stimulants with a bit of baby teething powder thrown in to make you think it’s the coke that’s causing the numbness.

ferrals
    Free Member

The one that pisses me off more is nitrous, most other drug users seem to stick to some unwritten rule and dispose of the paraphernalia discreetly, not just discard the canisters everywhere.

I never even realised that was a drug until hearing our local community centre car park is littered with the canisters. I thought I was what people put in cars!

nedrapier

The wife and I will probably go to Glastonbury next year so I’ll probably get on it properly then though.

No festival next year, so you’ll have to make do with a 3 day cream tea and scrumpy bender.

alpin
    Free Member

Do any of you actually know what you are talking about?

Mibbe.

As mentioned above, there are am awful lot of fully functioning (well, maybe not 100% fully functioning on the following Monday) drug users.

I dread to think how many little white pills or brown or white powders I ingested during my teens-early 20’s.

Had many a great night out. Admittedly some of them have been forgotten (and some of those on the train home).

But, in all my time doing “drugs” not once have I seen someone get shirty with a bouncer, smash a bottle over someone’s head, intimidate some girl, etc.

Obviously we had the drug talks at school. It really just informed us what was OK and what you probably shouldn’t touch. It helped educate and made us more curious/inquisitive. It certainly didn’t stop us taking drugs.

emsz
    Free Member

Weed does seem to be disappearing among the younger generation

are you joking?! 😆

binners

Hi emsz

*waves*

Drug use in the young is actually dropping.

When I was a young reprobate in the late 80’s,early 90’s at the height of the whole Acid House/Madchester thang, me, my mates, everyone I knew, and what seemed like the whole of the north west of England spent 48 hours every weekend absolutely ripped off their tits on industrial quantities of weapons grade MDMA

What is worth remembering is the ‘culture’ in the town centres before this revolution. It consisted of people called Bazza and Tommo going out in their shit Top Man suits, drinking 20 pints of Fosters in some stand up shithole called Rumours, or something equaelly crap, while listening to booming Stock, Aitkin and Waterman pop pap, then having a fight outside a kebab house, and shagging some pissed blonde bird called Sharone (not Sharon.. Sharone….) over a big red Biffa wheely bin in a back alley. And yes… it was as awful as it sounds

Drug use has had a massively positive effect on our culture. Though of course this truism is one that dare not be pointed out, for fear of being burnt at the stake. Deal with it!! This country really does need to address its pathetic, juevenile, in-denial, totally ineffectual just-say-no attitude to drug use

Drac

But, in all my time doing “drugs” not once have I seen someone get shirty with a bouncer, smash a bottle over someone’s head, intimidate some girl, etc.

I’ve picked up many a victim of those attacked by people taking drugs and have been abused and assaulted myself.

Addiction is not about the withdrawal symptoms it’s about feeling the need to take it.

lazybike
    Free Member

I would say I’ve lost more friends to alcohol than to drugs. Weed is so prevalent round my way it doesn’t get a mention..

seosamh77
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    Weed does seem to be disappearing among the younger generation

are you joking?!

Just from what I see around me, very few of the younger crowd I know touch it.

I’m aware my experience may not be completely representative. But as a dedicated toker, I think it’s noticeable! 😆

kerley
    Free Member

Coke is rampant in all classes these days. I don’t really understand why, it’s a terrible drug, particularly for the price.

I quite like it but it is definitely over priced. We need some price controls on these drugs.

seosamh77
    Free Member

kerley – Member

I quite like it but it is definitely over priced. We need some price controls on these drugs.

Aye, coke dealers most definitely need reported to the monopolies commission! 😆

tjagain

Drac – actually thats the definition of addiction – withdrawal symptoms

Drugs are different in their effects. Coke plus booze = aggressive fighting loon. Amphetamine plus booze the same. MDMA = want to hug everyone. Smack – sit on a sofa doing nowt Mushrooms – giggle a lot.

You in your profession will always and probably only come accross th e stroppy ones / problem users. Same as the police. The vast majority that cause no problems simply remain invisible

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘The Ubiquity of Drugs’ is closed to new replies.