• This topic has 69 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • The Turner 5-Spot is official dead :(
  • jimmy

If anyone has a small ’13 5 spot for sale I suppose I could buy it but being so undesirable I wouldn’t pay much, you understand…

renton
    Free Member

How is everyone finding the push bushings then? Worth the money or not?

scandalous
    Free Member

campfreddie – that looks truly lush!

Vortexracing

How is everyone finding the push bushings then? Worth the money or not?

they are worth the dosh IMHO

mudmonster
    Free Member

Tell me about push bushings?

mudmonster
    Free Member

Found the info

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 2005 spot was the bike I owned for the longest period. It was just over 7 when it died. For me, it was the perfect trail hackers bike and went through multiple iterations in its life, from heavy duty trail bike, lightweight XC trail bike, single ring trail hacker and balloon tyred rock crawler.

It required a new chain stay a year before and went out in a blaze of glory after an enormous crash resulted in the need for a new back end that Turner no longer held parts for, and for which I received a minor brain injury, a black eye, six stitches and embedded gravel.

I think as I shared its end so intimately I mourn its loss more.

The passing of time and the arrival of its successor, the slightly better DW 2011 spot helped greatly and the subsequent arrival of its true spiritual successor, the truly much better 2011DW sultan (in 2012) have helped me get over it.

RIP the 5 spot.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Oh go on then………

Fort william up lift for DH track

rickon
    Free Member

They’re lovely spots 🙂

The short link DW invented is reused by so many companies now, Giant’s Maestro, Trek’s ABP…

I had quite a few similar implementations, and Turner’s has been the most plush and grippy I’ve had.

I’ve got a 2011 Sultan too, and for me its a different bike, it does a different set of stuff well. I prefer the Spot at the moment, but its a real nice cruiser for just plowing through stuff confidently.

coogan
    Free Member

Just took my DW link 5 Spot apart. Breaking up for sale. Quite sad, but time to move on!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I think the HL’s look so much nicer than the newer ones, a lot of people seen to think they ride better as well, why they moved away from the HL for the sake of paying a few quid per frame to Specialized is beyond me, even if the political reasons are there to see.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And a lot of people think the dw-link ones ride better…

rickon
    Free Member

2fit, have you ridden a DW link bike? Or a bike with a short link? They’re superb, HL is very much old tech in comparison. Regardless of having to pay royalties, the DW link is far superior.

khani
    Free Member

They didn’t ditch the Horst link because of Specialized, they ditched it due to the Ellsworth ICT patent..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I stand corrected, & no I haven’t ridden a Turner DW, but I have tried a lot of bikes with linkages other than HL, not found one to beat it though.

Cheers.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I went from Specialized Enduro to Horst link spot to Ellsworth epiphany (horst link) to a DW link spot. Changed bearings on the ellsworth numerous times was a total pita!
    The DW link is leagues ahead in climbing and decending (imo) 😀

mudmonster
    Free Member

Had bearings seize in a single pivot Marin. Lower bearings and pivot shaft totally worn out on an early blur. Just the occasional squirt of grease and I don’t have to worry about anything seizing with ‘journal bearings’.

augustuswindsock

Does this mean hl5’s stock has just gone up? Mines still going strong after 7 years, they’ve got to be one of the better Buys for longevity I would’ve thought.

5spot
    Free Member

RIP 5spot,replaced with a Burner 650!

5spot
    Free Member

The new 5spot(Burner) 😀

coogan
    Free Member

Personal preference and all that. Loved the look and the ride of the HL, my fav bike so far. The DW one rode like a dream up and down, didn’t look as nice (but that’s irrelevant really). But I personally think the DW is the better suspension design. Back end felt much stiffer due to the short linkages.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hey 5 spot how do the 2 compare? I’m tempted!

mucker

Ok Coogan (and anyone else who’s selling) I’ll bite. I’m looking for a decent condition no cracks or dents/dings DW linked 5spot frame. E-mail in profile.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

I have a vgc yellow dw in xl going for sale as full bike or frame. email in profile

coogan
    Free Member

Mucker you got mail.

mucker

Further to above, would need to be medium.

5spot
    Free Member

If you like the 5spot you will love the Burner,not a huge jump but small improvements as most 650 bikes.Only thing it gives away to the spot is a few pedal strikes due to lower bb but then it corners great ,climbs as good if not better than the spot & well planted on the downs,one fun bike!

rickon
    Free Member

New Pikes and Monarch Plus RC3 installed, 26 lives! 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

shelves could do with a bit of organization 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘The Turner 5-Spot is official dead :(’ is closed to new replies.