Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • The Tube is planning for driverless trains
  • simon_g

As the article says, Central, Victoria and Jubilee line trains already run ATO so drivers on those lines are paid £40k+ just to sit there and open and close the doors. DLR is fully automated and works fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Pulls up a comfy wingback.*

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s the way forward.

I wonder what the ratio “human” accident occurance to “automated driver” accident occurance is.

I thought the Jubilee Lines doors opened automatically rather than “driver initiated”

Of course my thoughts are all subjective and not based on any facts whatsoeverlike.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

DLR is fully automated and works fine.

It’s not ‘fully automated’. Requires a Passenger Service Agent to ensure safety an ting. And when the wonderful automatic system has a hiccup, which happens very frequently, the PSA’s have to then manually operate the train.

drivers on those lines are paid £40k+ just to sit there and open and close the doors

Oh, you’ve done the job and you know this then, do you?

No, thought not.

*Pulls up a comfy wingback.*

Got to go out soon Flashy; be a good chap and keep the pot warm for us won’t you? ta.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are these the guys who were able to secure a 5% salary increase recently, pushing their earings up in the region of 50k pa?

bonj
    Free Member

Extrapolating, I don’t see why ALL trains can’t be driverless. Why only tubes? All they can do is accelerate and brake.

It will be a lot more difficult, but I believe one of the great technological advances of the 21st century will be driverless cars. Imagine just being able to drive to the top of a hill, then send your car back down to meet you at the bottom.

xiphon
    Free Member

Maybe we should encourage more women to be train drivers… it’s not like they need to park the trains…

donsimon
    Free Member

Surely we should be able to include pilots in this too, after all pilots don’t do anything either, except when there is an emergency… 😕

stevomcd
    Free Member

The existing automated lines do not run like this all the time – the drivers regularly have to take control.

The automated system runs during “normal” conditions, but when there is any change from these, control is returned to the drivers. The most common reason for this is low-adhesion conditions on the rails for the overground sections (rain, leaves on the line, etc.). I used to be involved in developing some of the hardware/software which was part of the decision-making process in handing back manual control.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Are these the guys who were able to secure a 5% salary increase recently, pushing their earings up in the region of 50k pa?

I thought it was £60k? No, £70k? £80k? £Some other vastly inflated made-up figure that the right-wing media claim?

No?

No.

donsimon
    Free Member

No what?
    No 50k or no 5% salary increase?

tails
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just, no, Don.

” The new generation of trains will “prepare themselves for service – even to the extent of arriving from depots unaided, perhaps eventually operating in certain areas without staff on board”

But:

driverless trains and station staff cuts “would leave passengers stranded in tunnels with no means of evacuation” and would turn the platforms and stations into a “paradise” for muggers and vandals.

Hmmm…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh the “leaves on the line” thread apears..

Today we stopped at a red light, only for the driver to pass through it on red.. Is this part of the manual handing back scenario?

If you ask me, oh you didn’t oh well, all trains should be automated, maight make the fekin things run on time.

Ok, now I’ve said it.

“sits back with coffee and krispykreamedoughnut in hand”

donsimon
    Free Member

Just, no, Don.

You leave me without the means to reply on that one. 😛

Sancho
    Free Member

All trains should have a driver, and they should be paid what they can agree with their employers.
    But I think the systems managing the trains should be improved to ensure running on time 100%.

float
    Free Member

they cant come soon enough…

mrlebowski
    Free Member

£52k ACTUALLY ELFIN! Ridonkulous!!

Thats a LOT of wedge for driving a train..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Please let’s not remind the right w(h)ingers that some scummy working class prole train drivers earn quite a bit more than they do. It got them into rather an excited froth the last time. 🙂

v8ninety

So when everyone’s job is automated, and the remaining three or four jobs that can’t be are so oversubscribed that they only have to pay peanuts due to supply and demand (capitalism, innit) what are we all going to do then? Those of us that aren’t sure rich, that is… Will it be a utopia? Or the end?

Sancho
    Free Member

v8ninety – lol
    its obvious, they will offshore the work.
    when I say they I mean the Chinese 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

At some point surely everything will be automated.

At the moment its difficult to automate jobs that require thinking but it cant be too far away.

What happens then we the world be perfect and we’ll all have infinite leisure time or will we all be on the dole.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Which means we could ride our bikes longer.. or play with our willies (more).

philconsequence
    Free Member

has nobody seen Wall-E? drinking my dinner out of a cup whilst floating around on hover chairs… bring it on!

donsimon
    Free Member

I was replaced by a machine some 25 years ago, cheese has never been the same since.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh yeah, he of the space ship controlling everything cos’ humans get in the way??

Brill that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

my posts are

Elfins seems to be on a rather early Sinclair with Tourettes and a few glitches

I wish I had used one that had a full keboard

mcboo
    Free Member

If/when it happens I wonder if the drivers will ask themeselves why so many people cheer at the thought of them losing their jobs?

philconsequence
    Free Member

can’t the automate footballers? they earn too much.

automate anyone who earns more than me and anyone i dont like.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the Bus Drivers, they should be on the same money. More actually because they have to steer and spot idiot cyclists.

mudshark
    Free Member

Bob Crow would look a bit silly if he priced them out of their jobs.

mcboo
    Free Member

automate anyone who earns more than me and anyone i dont like is overpaid and goes on strike at the drop of a hat.

Fixed

Why is it we don’t have any sympathy for them?

<whispers…..I earn more than a Tube driver>

D0NK

More actually because they have to steer and spot idiot cyclists.

you are right, it does take a lot of training to pass a cyclist and keep the entire length of the bus within half an inch of their right elbow but crucially not hit them so they have nothing to complain about. Worth a lot more pay that skill I reckono.

Lifer
    Free Member

£52k ACTUALLY ELFIN! Ridonkulous!!

Did you read the article? Lots of ‘worst’ case scenario calculations hence language like:

Tube drivers are set to earn £52,000-a-year in basic pay under an inflation-busting deal – double the annual average wage.

Unions have secured a four-year deal which could see train drivers take home a total of £52,300 a year by 2015, an increase of £10,000.

For the following three years annual increases will be based on the Retail Price Index (RPI) – currently running at five per cent – plus 0.5 per cent.

It means that if inflation stays high Tube pay will increase by 20 per cent over the four years.

Then, buried (as always) in the last paragraph:

[Union leaders have always been against a multi-year deal but took the decision to lock into the RPI-linked deal now because ministers want future pay increases to be linked instead with the lower Consumer Price Index (CPI).

So bottom line, blame the tories. Whoop!

samuri
    Free Member

I think they should carry on employing the tube drivers but allocate them none driving duties.

I’d recommend that three tube drivers are posted on each tube platform to remind cockneys of their obligations.

“Do NOT make eye contact”
    “Keep your iMusic players on”
    “Look miserable”
    etc.

Many would argue that these suggestions are superfluous but every little helps I always find.

Further down the line (sic) we could employ tube drivers to keep an eye on everyone by watching them through carefully modified TV screens.

LHS
    Free Member

There is no choice but to automate.

Levels of service and quality will be vastly improved and the grossly inflated wages for doing unskilled work can be put towards better trains, advanced infrastructure and facilities.

Lifer
    Free Member

scu98rkr – Member

At the moment its difficult to automate jobs that require thinking but it cant be too far away.

What happens then we the world be perfect and we’ll all have infinite leisure time or will we all be on the dole.

That’s what “they” said in the fifties, what happened?

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s what “they” said in the fifties, what happened?

I lost my job to a machine! That’s what happened!! 🙁

grahamt1980

Elfin. The comment about stations becoming lawless was by bob crow. That well known impartial observer of the railways.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘The Tube is planning for driverless trains’ is closed to new replies.