Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • The Trek 69er
  • SaxonRider

Does anyone remember this? Did anyone have one?

The first time I saw one, I had to hold in my lunch. Just now, I had a sudden flashback, and actually wondered if they performed any particular function, or if they were just a passing experiment.

Anyway, if you are suffering indigestion, and want to cleanse, here you go:

ajantom

I’ve recently been running my Dialled Love Hate as a 69er with rigid forks. Works really well.

qwerty
    Free Member

A great concept, particularly for the vertically challenged.

DezB
    Free Member

It was for people who weren’t ready to go the full big wheeler experience. Those people now have 27.5″ wheels.

Couple of fellas won some big races on those Treks didn’t they?

joshvegas
    Free Member

There were two at ssuk.

I think there were two… Maybe my vision was blurring.

qwerty
    Free Member

Matt Carr, Shaggy & Travis Brown competed on them iirc. Small wheel to accelerate up to speed & turn quickly with a large front to roll over things nicely.

rOcKeTdOg

Had one, got nicked 😐

simondbarnes

I preferred the 2nd version without the Mav forks. ‘Raced’ one at the Singlespeed Worlds in Napa.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5gNRW7]SSWC 2008[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

CheesybeanZ

I know where theres a frame sat in a garage unloved and un ridden .

qwerty
    Free Member

15.5″ ❓

postierich
    Free Member

There were two at SSUK17 they were fighting over the number 69 🙂

mick_r

Mrs rode a Carver 96er for a couple of years – sold frame to someone on here.

My radbike was also a 96er at this year’s ssuk, mainly because I couldn’t be bothered making a full custom rear triangle (had a 26 donor frame).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Didn’t a on one 456 with a bodged 69er get rave reviews?

geoffj

I loved the look.
    Matt, the staffer off here, rode one at the SSWC in Aviemore.

YoGrant
    Free Member

We all had one at Aviemore! It was year of the brown trek!

Got a great pic of me on mine by Russ Burton somewhere. Great bikes. Jenn managed the tour divide on one too. Only trek I’ve ever bought.

td75
    Free Member

Always loved the look of these. Thank goodness they rarely come up for sale.

core

Singular hummingbird was also designed to run 29/26 with the rigid fork wasn’t it?

amedias
    Free Member

There’s a 19in one of the original Rootbeer ones for sale round the corner from me (not mine), full bike but not original spec, has an Alfine on the back and not got the Maverick any more…

garage-dweller

Didn’t a on one 456 with a bodged 69er get rave reviews?

It bloody should have done.

It works really well with a 26r rigid fork + 29r front wheel.

A 456 is way too steep and twitchy with a 26r rigid fork and 26″ wheel in it (+ short stem / wideish bars).

The 29r front puts the bars and angles about where a 140mm fork would sit sagged.

timbur
    Free Member

Great bikes.
    Better with a rigid fork up front imho.

thepodge
    Free Member

If the rear could take 650 I’d have one now. I’m told putting a 650 rear in my current 29er makes it lots of fun but no one is willing to lend me a wheel to try.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Always thought they were great looking bikes, haven’t seen one in years – they must be 10 years old now no?

LMT
    Free Member

On my bike want list, just very rare even on eBay they just dont show up anymore.

chronos
    Free Member

I’ve run 69ers for years. mostly with different guises of Ragley Mmmbop 26in frames, and for various uses. Have a Genesis Grapil which runs a treat as 69er for xc, and 27.5 Maxxis Shorty front 26 rear for muddy conditions. Bloody brilliant.

amedias
    Free Member

somafunk

Finally….a thread i can actually add some value to,

Matt alongside St Mary’s Loch on his (and shaggys) way to win TransScotland 2007

Matt leading the charge on the final day

I thought they were brilliant to ride, ended up turning my Soulcraft ss into a 69’r and finally got under 2 hrs for a lap of Kirroughtree and made long days out in the hills less exhausting so i thought it was a great idea at the time

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Still got my 19″ Carver 96er for sale………

shermer75
    Free Member

Always liked the look of them myself! I ran my Inbred as a 69er for a while, it worked really well! 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I had one for a while. Got it to try singlespeeding at the 8hr Oktoberfst thing at Ashton Park

Really light bikes. I’m not strong enough for singlespeeding. The Maverick fork had way too much travel for that bike, but being able to lock it out/change the geometry was cool.
    I loved the look of them. Trek made some cool bikes around that time. I’m after a Sawyer currently

BigDummy
    Free Member

These were so rad. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Cove did a 69er aswell. There’s one on ebay at the mo but set up as a 66er.

DezB
    Free Member

What the hell’s a 66er? 😆

tazzymtb

loved my Trek 69er, but I got through rear wheels like they were going out of fashion. Yob front end and dainty rear needing some riding finesse did not really get along with my smash and grab style.

wwaswas

Jenn did the Great Divide on one;

qwerty
    Free Member

one really nice speed

#Jenn

wwaswas

one really nice speed

Made me quite melancholic, the image search results that got me that pic.

Andy-R

core – Member
    Singular hummingbird was also designed to run 29/26 with the rigid fork wasn’t it?

They were indeed, and they’re excellent. Probably the best handling bikes that I’ve owned.

jobro
    Free Member

I’ve had an ss version with Duc forks for about 5 years.
    The fast moving rear, tank rolling front is total Bol lacks, but I love it to bits.
    Despite all the clever stuff I now own it’s still my favourite bike to ride. Sometimes things work and you just don’t know why. This does

Andy-R

Despite all the clever stuff I now own it’s still my favourite bike to ride. Sometimes things work and you just don’t know why. This does

This is how I feel about my Hummingbirds.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got a maverick fork waiting for a large frame if anyone has one for next to no money going spare that needs a new home

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘The Trek 69er’ is closed to new replies.