Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The trails and tribulations (and madness) of seating tyres…..
  • bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

Riddle me this Batman!

Just how do I get my tyres to seat properly? Running Bontrager Jones (summinks) on Bontrager Rytham comp/race wheels and CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get them right……. Feels like I am riding one of those clown bikes with the off centre hubs!

Please help I am going crazy…..

Thanks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

1. Thick soap suds, or even washing-up liquid on the rims – helps the beads slip into place.

2. Over inflate somewhat so the tube pushes the bead into place (pop)

3. It’s common to get a bulge at the valve (ooo err!) because the value flange is preventing the bead from sitting into the rim right. With the tube deflated, loosen the valve nut (assuming you have Presta) so that you can push the valve halfway back into the rim hole. Then seat the tyre and inflate before re-tightening the valve nut.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

sooper Thanks…

Was toying with the idea of some type of lube on the rim.

Cheers brother.

auldy
    Free Member

Agree with soap suds / washing up liquid to help the rim pop into place. Don’t use too much like me tho as I had a puncture in the wet not long after fitting the front tyre and I had an Ibiza Foam Party amount of soapy bubbles leaking from around the valve !

Yetiman
    Free Member

I always find that lube on the rim helps things slip into place without too much pain 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘The trails and tribulations (and madness) of seating tyres…..’ is closed to new replies.