Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • The Tories have done a jobby on me.
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Junkyard, she may love this country, but he makes it quite clear that he doesn’t so why not find somewhere that they can both be happy?!

TooTall
    Free Member

Suck it up cupcake – this is nothing new at all. Americans are high on the ‘least-wanted immigrant’ list and have been for a long time – mostly because we have to accept EU migration. I had to do this all legally so my now wife could come over here and we could get married. I lived immigration regulations. There are long-standing rules and regulations that have to be followed. I’m not saying I agree with them at all, but having a hissy fit, blaming the current government (and ignoring the hospital pass they were presented with by the last government) and shouting ‘IhateyouIhateyouIhateyou’ doesn’t change the price of fish. Go ride your bike, then MTFU and do something about it rather than wailing and grinding your teeth.
    Just you try moving to the USA – just as bad.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Go and see an immigration solicitor and stop moaning.

Yeah, I agree. Start seeing someone else

she may love this country, but he makes it quite clear that he doesn’t so why not find somewhere that they can both be happy?!

Srsly? Love it or leave it???

Maybe he wants to stay and change it through democratic means?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh other thing to realise is that this is a marginal change – I saw number that last year it was 21 000 skilled non EU immigrants, this year its 16 000. Hardly a huge change.

JEngledow
    Free Member

By whining on the STW forum?!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Teh other thing to realise is that this is a marginal change – I saw number that last year it was 21 000 skilled non EU immigrants, this year its 16 000. Hardly a huge change.

Really? if it went from 21,000 to 28,000 would you also maintain that this was not a ‘Huge change’?

RepacK
    Free Member

OP how many people come here on student visas who then decide they want to stay?

What if I went to America on a Student visa and decided I wanted to stay there? Would I find it difficult? Yes I would. Is it the US government’s fault? Are they evil?

Why are you blaming ‘the Tories’?

Its not the governments fault.

Go and see an immigration solicitor and stop moaning. My Brother in law has spent the last two years doing this.

And this:

Suck it up cupcake – this is nothing new at all. Americans are high on the ‘least-wanted immigrant’ list and have been for a long time – mostly because we have to accept EU migration. I had to do this all legally so my now wife could come over here and we could get married. I lived immigration regulations. There are long-standing rules and regulations that have to be followed. I’m not saying I agree with them at all, but having a hissy fit, blaming the current government (and ignoring the hospital pass they were presented with by the last government) and shouting ‘IhateyouIhateyouIhateyou’ doesn’t change the price of fish. Go ride your bike, then MTFU and do something about it rather than wailing and grinding your teeth.
    Just you try moving to the USA – just as bad.

+1

For my 2c, sorry mate but thats life & sometimes life pisses on your chips. Sh1t or get off the pot – do you love the woman? Then marry her. If not, stop wasting her’s (& yours) time.

I have a degree of sympathy for you having been in a similar situation when I was going West & its a frigging nightmare. Best of luck & all that jazz but mate, fate really is in your own hands on this one..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

fate really is in your own hands on this one

Might not just be fate in his hands if things don’t look up

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    I am not TJ.

No, you’re a very naught boy!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Grump over. It’ll work out, it always does. We’ve had visa concerns before (I think 2 years ago they were looking at not renewing her visa under anti terror laws…) and it ended up fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Suck it up cupcake

would you actually say this face to face to someone whose partner may have to leave the country due to recent immigration law changes.
    I just wish STW could be nicer sometimes 😳

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Having met Tootall, I think he probably would 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Somewhere in a poxy East London bedsit, Elfin’s bat phone is going off, he’ll be along shortly to accuse you of wanting to send ‘them’ back to where they came from.

In this case America, but y’know…tomorrow you might be referring to a Bangladeshi or something.

Fantastic.

Can’t answer the question in an intelligent manner, so resort to personal attack. Very clever.

hels
    Free Member

Just have a passport wedding, don’t even tell anybody, just go and do it, no fuss, no posh outfits. I know tons of people that have done it. It’s just the legal government documentation side, and gives you time to get to know each other enough to want to get married properly.

When you do decide it’s the right time and have saved the £5 squillion required you can have all the ceremony, party, photos etc done.

I was at a party recently with quite a few kiwis and one couple were asked “are you married ?” to which they replied “yes, but to other people” which a lot of folk in the expat community understood !

fatboyslo
    Free Member

From the Govt website ….

If you are studying at degree level or above, you can stay for the full duration of your course, up to four years.

If your course is longer than four years, you can apply for a UK Visa Extension to finish your course.

If you are studying below degree, your Student Visa will allow you to stay for up to three years.

One route for staying in the UK beyond a course of study, is through switching to a Tier 2 Work Permit. You will require a specific offer of employment from a British company.

It may well be worth her while getting round to applying for a position well before the course finishes,
    and the rule isn’t new about student visas, afaik they have always finished as the course finishes and the rule will certainly have been in place when she started her course … of course not every student visa may be issued to students who are actually studying and thts one of the reasons for enforcing rules more strongly even though though it hurts those who play by them more than those who ignore them

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Frankly, it all started to go wrong in this country when we let the serfs leave their own parish.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think 2 years ago they were looking at not renewing her visa under anti terror laws…

😯
    Is this your GF?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

By whining on the STW forum?!

Erm… no. Why would you think that was they way? They are not mutually exclusive are they? Whining on a forum might just be an example of him exercising his democratic right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

😆 @ spokes re tootall

TooTall
    Free Member

would you actually say this face to face to someone whose partner may have to leave the country due to recent immigration law changes.

As the OP said – yes I would – we’ve met. Read the rest of my post – I have been through the USA / UK immigration process. I have lived what it takes to get a loved one the right to remain in the UK. I have processed the visa applications, helped revise for the citizenship test, paid the multiple fees and sweated on the outcome of a faceless office making life-changing decisions and wondered whether what we wrote / sent is a strong enough case. I have supported someone who wasn’t allowed to work because of her visa restrictions, couldn’t claim, couldn’t use the NHS – less rights than any scrounger on the take. I earned the t-shirt on this subject and can pointedly advise what will and will not help in this predicament. Hugging him would be useless.

Just to add – these are not recent changes.

damo2576
    Free Member

Can’t you get a new girlfriend with a British passport this time?

Xylene
    Free Member

OP,

Collect evidence of your relationship, then apply for a fiance visa when she is back in the states.

It’s easy to do, don’t get hung up on the immigration limits etc, it doesn’t count in this case.

I’ve been through it and still going through it now. ILR application is due in April and even though there is no reason to worry about it, I do. Especially with a sprog on the way.

Don’t stress about it, don’t get sucked into the xenophobic crap, it’s an easy process to try.

You could try for a settlement visa based on her being a partner, but it’s a nightmare to prove, so go fiance first.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Collect evidence of your relationship

Old Valentines card, used condoms and shared utility bills are usually good evidence

Xylene
    Free Member

Old Valentines card, used condoms and shared utility bills are usually good evidence

And photos together, which is always hard when you only ever take photos of each other when out and about.

Houns

I thought you two had split up?

grantway
    Free Member

If you love her that much go to America with her
    But I doubt they are acting in a BNP manner

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘The Tories have done a jobby on me.’ is closed to new replies.