Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The torch, Queenie on tour, olympics,anyone else taken in by the media HYPE
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if all our problems have gone for the next few months, a major chain of shops gone bust, unemployment going up, massive cuts in various state functions, eg the NHS, and transport, a games we cant afford to have, wars for pointless reasons,and defending a small island near Argentina.

But a few people runing with a torch and a woman without a proper job trolling round the country before a huge party are seen as good news,and currently monopolising the media.

Anyone else not taken in by the hype.

kayak23

Cheer up…
    Stop being so British 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

You grumpy old beggar.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

You’re right. We should cancel the Olympics, allow foreign countries to takeover our overseas territories against the wishes of their inhabitants, replant the magic money tree and declare ourselves a republic immediately.

atlaz
    Free Member

Do we really need “In more news, the country is still knackered” though? 😀

project
    Free Member

replant the magic money tree

Think youll find the bankers killed it.

unklehomered
    Free Member

someone recently said the word “Jubalympics” to me… I died a little bit inside, but outwardly no reaction. He has dropped in my estimations as a result.

Weasel
    Free Member

No interest in any of the above, so there! 🙄

I wonder how many of the people getting excited about the Olympics have ever even been to their local athletics track.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the people getting excited about the Olympics have ever even been to their local athletics track

I wonder how many people might be inspired to go to their local athletics track/pool/sports hall etc as a result of getting excited about the Olympics ??

Hmmm, I suppose that’s a possibility, it just seems to me that it’s reinforcing the idea that sport is something that happens on television as entertainment.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the people getting excited about the Olympics have ever even been to their local athletics track.

I have never been to my local athletics track. Does this mean I shouldn’t watch. I have, however, been to my local McDonalds, so I think I’ll be OK.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I wonder how many people might be inspired to go to their local athletics track/pool/sports hall etc as a result of getting excited about the Olympics ??

Probably slightly fewer than are inspired to go down the gym in January to live the dream of that new year resolution 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..and a woman without a proper job trolling round the country

Oi steady on……….whilst I might agree with much of the sentiments behind your post, there’s no need to refer to Her Majesty in that tone 😐

randomjeremy
    Free Member

The great ernie_lynch happy to be a subject. Who knew?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My deep respect for Her Majesty randomjeremy, is only surpassed by the reverence which I felt for her mum……she always that ‘special smile’ for us common people during the Blitz – a right proper lady, gawd bless’er.

CountZero

I can get quite excited at watching the TdF or Fort Bill on tv, without for one second feeling the need to emulate either.
    And as a reasonably intelligent person, I’m perfectly capable of filtering out news media that I’m interested, so I suggest the OP develope the same facilities. 🙄

TooTall
    Free Member

Anyone else not taken in by the hype.

Please – offer us simple proles an alternative! We bow down to your concise analysis and direct ways. Oh what else can we do?!?

So – given the jubilee and the Olympics have been on the cards for some time, why do you think they are being reported on as part of some plot?

richmars

So if I’m looking forward to the games, that makes me stupid for believing what you think is hype?
    Thanks.

yunki
    Free Member

It is unlikely that I will notice the passing of the Jubalympiad.. I’m just keeping me fingers crossed that I don’t miss the xc on the telly..

shifter
    Free Member

Hype implies something being over-exagerated whereas the Olympics is a big thing where-ever it is and huge if it’s here. Queenie has been on the go for sixty years, the media will mention that too. If you’re upset by the coverage now – wait a month.

project
    Free Member

the Olympics is a big thing where-ever it is and huge if it’s here.

not north of Birmingham , we oop north dont care, as we want see any investment due to it.

shifter
    Free Member

You don’t speak for the North!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Another one who saw this coming and winced when it was announced we’d been lumbered with the jubilympics. Yes, it’ll be used as a a bit of temporary Cillit Bang to clean the nation’s tarnished image, and many who can’t or don’t discriminate in their sources of information will be affected by the whitewash, but the dirt keeps coming, and when the final smoke from the jubilympic flame disperses we’re all going to be reminded what a state we’re in, and this time ther’ll be no pointless exercise in national masturbation to look forward to…

druidh
    Free Member

Think of it as a last “hoorah” for Great Britain.

Blacklug
    Free Member

Just another avenue used to distract the populance.
    A couple of weeks to watch juiced up athletes after a horde of numpties prance about with a torch.

But a pretty good firework display though.

Gunz
    Free Member

The Para/Olympics are an absolute celebration of physical achievement, exhibiting athletes who have devoted their life to achieving feats we can only dream of. I for one almost destroyed my front room shouting on Kelly Holmes as she made her last minute surge.
    The torch parade is passing through Okehampton today and my little ones couldn’t be more excited.
    Whilst there are a plethora of reasons we could sit and snipe, why not just embrace it at its simplest level or ignore it and do your blood pressure a favour.

The Jubilee I can take or leave.

kimbers

Im pretty sure jubolympics was made up by jessica hynes PR woman character in the brilliant 2012

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUPTemqxY28[/video]

the show has been so scarily acurate- see the 2012 conutdown clock not working!! that i wouldnt be surprised if they coined this phrase

binners

Well…. this just raised a giggle in the office

bowglie

Yes, it’ll be used as a a bit of temporary Cillit Bang to clean the nation’s tarnished image, and many who can’t or don’t discriminate in their sources of information will be affected by the whitewash, but the dirt keeps coming, and when the final smoke from the jubilympic flame disperses we’re all going to be reminded what a state we’re in, and this time ther’ll be no pointless exercise in national masturbation to look forward to…

But if we all feel patriotic and wave our union flags won’t it make all the problems go away? 😉

binners

Everything’s relative really. By the time the olympics starts, we could be one of only a handful of countries in Europe that having dissolved into medieval anarchy.

wombat

A load of folks in tracksuits running about the countryside with flaming torches, sounds like a slightly more organised version of last year’s riots to me

nedrapier

My excitement for the Jubilee increased by an infinite percentage (ie from nothing to something) at the weekend when I found out my 5 year old niece will be performing as part of the Tigers children’s motorcycle display team. That’s pretty cool. No idea how many events there are as part of the celebration, or whether I’ll be able to get tickets, though.

Olympics: I’ve tried, not very hard, to get tickets for a few things, and not succeeded. I’ll want to watch some of it on the telly, same as I would do at any other city.

Bit of a pain in the arse as our house is being sold in September, so we’ll have to look for houses in London during August. And we haven’t got any weekends free.

So:

Taken in by the hype? – Not really.

Distracted from other news due to the coverage? – Probably a bit.

druidh
    Free Member

How are the Northern Irish contingent feeling about Team GB?

donsimon
    Free Member

How are the Northern Irish contingent feeling about Team GB?

I imagine some will be happy and others less so, much like the rest of Great Britain/United Kingdom.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member

considering that grass roots funding has been significantly cut to pay for the olympics all over the UK then its going to be hard for folk to do so

nedrapier

And all the kids in East London will be eating MacDonanlds at Westfields.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

project – Member

not north of Birmingham , we oop north dont care, as we want see any investment due to it.

I beg to differ

I’m north of Birmingham ( in the mIdlands isn’t it ? ) and am looking forward to both the games and jubilee with great anticipation

As for investment … you’re avin a larf … games have created loads of work up in Yorky land,

Steel for the stadium, wood for velodrome, training camp for 300 Chinese atheletes + numerous hangers on ….

Get real and enjoy life … it’s too short to be miserable all the time

Oh and if anything I reckon most of the media has had a right downer on the games ever since they realised they’d miss out on a paid jaunt to paris to cover them 😈

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘The torch, Queenie on tour, olympics,anyone else taken in by the media HYPE’ is closed to new replies.