Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The thrill is gone…
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

No, not the thrill of cycling, still loving that, even if I don't get enough opportunities to do it. I'm talking about the thrill of shiny new kit. After literally weeks of debate, research and penny counting, the other day I finally took delivery of a shiny new hard tail frame. It gets great reviews, other owners seem to love theirs, it suits my type of local riding, but….. I just can't get excited about it. It's sitting here in the office, still in it's packaging and has been for days because I can't be bothered to cart it home and build it up.

Weird, in days gone buy I couldn't wait to get stuck in, staying up all night to build new bikes, swearing 'cos I had to wait a few hours to get hold of the last bit to finish a build, now, nothing. It's not even 'cos I bought the wrong frame, there isn't really anything else I'd rather have (apart possibly from a tracer VP and they are so ludicrously expensive at the moment that it's not an option).

Maybe this is a good thing, I can sell of my stockpile of unused bits and just ride the bikes I've got, mind you dunno what to do with this new frame now… ho hum, it's a hard life 🙄

BigDummy
    Free Member

Take it to a shop and get them to build it if you don't feel the urge. Then just ride the damn thing. I bought a new bike recently. I wasn't excited by owning it, but riding it has been a great pleasure. 😀

SiB
    Free Member

Get it out under your desk at work and have a play, you'll enjoy it! And see if the office temp will join in too, the more the merrier

ChrisS
    Free Member

I'm not paying good money to a bike shop to build it when I could do a better job myself <shudders at the thought>

BigDummy
    Free Member

Could, but aren't. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Comes to us all – shows you know what you want and what it will do.

There are very few bikes/frames that will really change your riding, unless you get your first full suss or try a bike for riding that is new to you.

DWH
    Free Member

Maybe this is a good thing

Yes it is.

It's just a bike frame isn't it? Not all that different from all your other bike frames. It was never going to change your life and guess what – it hasn't.

Free yourself from the self-imposed tyranny of possessions and sell it (or give it away) still in it's wrapping. You didn't need it, you don't need it and you won't need it.

Less is more.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Indeed, this is what I'm starting to think, after all our possessions end up owning us 😉

Although the next logical step would seem to be one bike for all types of riding (or possibly a unicycle?), but that rarely seems to work out in practice.

DWH
    Free Member

I don't think you need to take such a radical step as replacing all your bikes with a unicycle. Maybe every time you get a new one you could get rid of an existing one? Think 'replace' rather than 'add'.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Hmmm, a strict one-in, one-out policy.

It's a radical idea, but you never know, it might just work!

Although I'd need to decide on an initial baseline number of bikes, could be tricky.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The thrill is gone…’ is closed to new replies.