Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • The things people say to you when you're on a mountain bike
  • Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I ride a singlespeed so get abuse from everyone even other bikers.

😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

But i was told that when i was little in my three wheeler

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Loading the car this morning…

"this early…!"

ken_shields
    Free Member

"Been for a ride today? Is it muddy?"

Said to me as I loaded 2 bikes plastered with mud onto my car…..ffs what did they think we'd been doing?

andywarner
    Free Member

"are you lost?"

Karinofnine

"How many gears has it got?

"Oh, it must be fast"

Haze

Why's it only got one gear…is it for going downhill only?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Q: "How far"
    A: "No idea, maybe 3hrs"
    Q: "How far though"
    A: "No idea, but 3hrs so far"
    "Oh"

dans160
    Free Member

F****** slow down!

I've stopped, it would be difficult for me to go any slower.

You like you are going to have fun on that!

I am!

Most people are pleasant enough but there really are some right knobs out there.

Karinofnine

Looking in the back of my car and seeing my Airnimal Chameleon (which has thin Schwalbe Stelvios on) … "That's a nice mountainbike, I've got one like that"

bigsi
    Free Member

Usually when climbing i get told by walkers coming the other way "nearly there" or "not much further" to which i like to reply "i doubt it, we've got at least another few hours to go yet"

They always look puzzled 🙄

amodicumofgnar

"You should have a bell" normally just after I've said hello / hi / morning / excuse me. Admitedly aggresive bell ringing is more fun as it does make them jump, but I've grown out of it.

"You should have lights I cant see you" from a woman who pulled along side in her car to give abuse, this was 5mins after sunset last week. No one ever harangs walkers on roads.

Karinofnine

"You should have lights I cant see you" from a woman who pulled along side in her car to give abuse, this was 5mins after sunset last week. No one ever harangs walkers on roads.

Someone said that to me once, similar situation, I said:

"Why are you talking to me?"

puzzled look

"You said you can't see me, so why are you talking to me?"

she drove off

But as said above, most people are nice, friendly and curious.

EuroClive
    Free Member

"Here comes another one with an engine".
    "it's easy ay, just push one down the other comes up".
    Both heard while hauling ar%e around Welsh trails…

shepleg
    Free Member

A friend was riding through quite a rough estate on the commute home,
    a group of youth shout ' Oi mate your wheels are going round' ( 😕 ) to which he replies 'yeah and so's yer mum' pedalling off quite quickly.
    (also is south wales)

myheadsashed

'Its only another 5 minutes to the top'
    Lying %^&*^% 😈
    'It was 5 %^&*&^ minutes an hour and a half ago' 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

After a particularly muddy descent at the long mynd, I said hello to a walker to which she replied "eurgh!".. bit rude I thought, til I got back to the car and noticed my face was entirely covered in mud 😆

warpcow
    Free Member

"Here comes a spectacular crash": old man to his wife as I'm barreling through a rockgarden towards a plank bridging a 2ft deep puddle. I said, "Maybe," and slammed on the brakes and bimbled across the plank looking like one of those tightrope cycling clowns (that you just don't see enough of nowadays).

His wife was kinder, she told him to shut up cos it might put me off.

I had a farmer come racing across a field in his Landrover once to tell me he'd found a plastic bag on the trail I'd just ridden and therefore it must be mine. I pointed out that my Camelbak was slightly more practical than a Tesco bag.

Talkemada
    Free Member

bit rude I thought, til I got back to the car and noticed my face was entirely covered in mud

I don't think it was the mud, Ton… 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& from a little old lady in Reeth today, 'I wish I'd had a bike like that'
    Mint.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Today from a little old lady walking her dog :-

"It's so nice to see so many young men out on bicycles" 8)

Bunnyhop

Everyone who passes me when I'm pushing up a steep hill, always says : shouldn't you be riding that?
    Once I got so fed up with the same question, I handed the bike towards a chap and told him to have a go.

fingerbike
    Free Member

"You should have a bell" normally just after I've said hello / hi / morning / excuse me. Admitedly aggresive bell ringing is more fun as it does make them jump, but I've grown out of it.

Get this regularly on the ride to work, I go down a river towpath, A bell even with a single 'ting' regularly made people pretty much jump in the river and have been told the bell was rude, so went to saying 'excuse me', exactly the same effect, and get told to get a bell.. Can't win… Maybe I should get a WW2 air raid siren wired up to a dynamo….

nbt

as I was towing my nehpew on a tagalong across a busy main road, trying to turn off it

You should have rung your bell

said the old lady

I've been ringing like a fire alarm

said I, then muttered "maybe you should switch your hearing aid on", as you should always respect your elders

LeeW

Passed a group of elderly oriental walkers out today on the arse end of the Stour valley, they all stood back and said hello to us as we passed, one shouted excitedly "have a good time" then the last gent came out with the classic "Farrrkin Hell".

scraprider
    Free Member

carefull its a bit rough down there .

coffeeking
    Free Member

You should hear some of the things people ask you when you're kitesurfing…

Is it fun? <no, punishment>
    If you jump up, how do you get down?
    Can you control that?
    Is it dangerous?
    Would you like me to throw it up for you <no thanks, I'd rather not die>

yunki
    Free Member

"don't worry… It's all downhill once you get to the top…"

3 different ramblers on 3 different days this week on the same bit of very steep cheeky singletrack.. wierd

samuri
    Free Member

I've been ringing like a fire alarm

He he. this is a great one. The amount of times I've been berated for 'not ringing your bell' when I've been screaming at people at the top of my lungs as I approach them.

Even by people on bikes.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

you should be able to jump that gate,ive seen em do it on you tube ya know.

thanks danny

Woody
    Free Member

Follow me it's easy…………..

…..said to me by a 12'ish year old on shonky old rust heap of a bike with one brake before taking me down a steep, wet, rooty trail which ended with a completely 'hidden' ramp launching you across a 6' wide gully. 😯

He then gave my bike a pitying look, followed by " I'm getting a new bike with gears for my birthday!

grahamh
    Free Member

"You should have a bell"

Has said to me as well.
    With handle bars fitted with cycle computer, gps and hrm.
    My reply has been:- "And where do I fit this bell?"
    for which there has been no answer.

clareymorris

As a girl who bikes with a male friend, I usually just get the pitying looks…………

coolhandluke
    Free Member

After a brill ride at Innerleithen followed by a few chill out beers at a local hotel by Glentress – where we were staying…

"You're too fat to ride a mountain bike down Innerleithen, What sort is it?" said the slightly drunken owner of the hotel.

"An Inbred" I replied, not really taking offense from his previous comment.

"A hardtail! down Innerleithen, you're mad as well as fat then" he replied before staggering away.

clareymorris

………….or the really surprised ones!

Tonylem
    Free Member

In the Alps a couple of years ago from a bemused German walker, "surely you won't be able to ride down there, the trails only a foot wide"

chubby_monk
    Free Member

"You're riding this the wrong way"

Bunnyhop

Its funny how (as a female rider of a group) they always say to me " ooh becareful, it's really dangerous/rocky/steep/slippery up/down there", this is never mentioned to the male members. Yes I know! that's why its called mtbing.

crazy-legs

I got told I was "amazing" yesterday by a walker who couldn't believe that anyone would even think about riding a bike on Jacobs Ladder! 😯
    Was about half way up the final section on the cobbled bit, still riding (granny ring, winching it along painfully!) and he stood back and muttered "that's amazing, I'd never a thought a bike could go along this!"
    Anyway, about 5m past and I finally stalled and put a foot down and he asked me "how do you do that?"
    I said "what, the falling off bit? that's easy!"

Bunnyhop

Crazy-legs – You are amazing. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘The things people say to you when you're on a mountain bike’ is closed to new replies.