Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • The thing with Jimmy Savile is….
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

….is anyone actually surprised by the allegations that have emerged?

I clearly remember him presenting TOTP in the 70s and early 80s always with a young attractive girl on each arm that he would usually end up drooling or fawning over.

It was pretty obvious where is predilections lay.

binners

I clearly remember him presenting TOTP in the 70s and early 80s always with a young attractive girl on each arm that he would usually end up drooling or fawning over.

Haven’t you just described every TV presenter and DJ from the 70’s though?

Harry_the_Spider

There was always something a bit creepy about Jimmy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigrich

Cougar

It was pretty obvious where is predilections lay.

Women?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yes maybe, but then maybe we’re describing a much broader issue that was endemic to the age and not just Jimmy Savile.

That said, from memory, while other DJs on TOPT had girls on each arm, Jimmy was noted for his drooling and fawning.

druidh
    Free Member

….. we’ve had several threads on this already?

….. you’ve been in a cave for the past two weeks?

jekkyl

I knew it, a road rider, defo a perv.

rewski
    Free Member

Except Larry Grayson

pudd
    Free Member

Binners is spot on again.

Lets take a look at [redacted] for example, it won’t be long before he’ll be outed next.

Fact is before child protection laws became part of everyone’s forethought it was frighteningly common to see peodos around children. Its wasn’t considered unacceptable to see dirty old men around teen age girls.
    I remember teachers, cubs leaders, sports instructors etc all harboring special relationships with certain kids. Thankfully nowadays this type of behaviour raises eye brows but not when i was a kid.

Stupid seventies

geetee1972
    Free Member

….. you’ve been in a cave for the past two weeks?

We had a baby….so yes, i’ve been in a cave!

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

janet street porter was involved in a debate about the role of the bbc on radio 4 yesterday. She has been involved in TV and print media since young and said words to the effect of…

It wasn’t just Jimmy Savile, there are a number of currently popular celebrities who were know for groping staff/guests and continued to do so until very recently.

geetee1972
    Free Member

If it was just groping he was guilty of then while not condonable and still reprehensible, it’s hardly a moral outrage.

Is that what people are concluding, that he ‘groped’ young girls or is it something more than that?

I ask because the media hasn’t exactly been consistent or candid in its reporting.

scaled
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kfNKMUUOmY[/video]

JSP on news night speaking on the subject.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Haven’t you just described every TV presenter and DJ from the 70’s though wealthy/famous red blooded heterosexual male?

FTFY

binners

Congrats on the new arrival geetee!! 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Fact is before child protection laws became part of everyone’s forethought it was frighteningly common to see peodos around children. Its wasn’t considered unacceptable to see dirty old men around teen age girls.

I wish people would use the word paedophile in a more responsible and accurate (i.e. non tabloid/council estate) way:

Media definition: Someone ‘adult’ who finds ‘children’ (i.e. humans under the arbitrary legal age of consent in any country – so anything from under 12 to under 21) sexually attractive. Under this definition I’m fairly sure the vast majority of people (asexuals excluded) have at some time or another been a paedophile.

Correct definition: Someone ‘adult’ who finds ‘children’ (i.e. pre-pubescent humans…because to have sexual feelings for someone incapable of breeding would be unnatural?) sexually attractive. Under this definition I’m fairly sure the vast majority of people (asexuals excluded) HAVE NOT at some time or another been a paedophile.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And rock stars? There’ll be a few sleepless nights no doubt in just about every rock band from the last 50 years!

We had a baby….so yes, i’ve been in a cave!

Congrats!

pudd
    Free Member

It is a moral outrage geetee. Its utterly disgusting. Whilst i congratulate you on your arrival would you not be upset if your child was molested by an individual they idolised and trusted?
    If not; at what point does it become an issue for you? do you think its an issue for those victims who’ve waited till savilles death to feel safe enough to come forward without the fear of not being believed?

no offence meant BTW. it just bothered me to see it being down played.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

How do you deal with things that were considered “right” in the past, but considered “wrong” now? do we judge them by past laws and sentencing guidelines, or todays?

Could be of course that Jimmy Saville should have been punished even by the lax standards of the 70’s but didn’t because everyone turned a blind eye, despite there being clear laws in place.

Cougar

I wish people would use the word paedophile in a more responsible and accurate (i.e. non tabloid/council estate) way:

Aye. There’s a world of difference between liking girls and liking young women. You can marry someone who’s 16 but if she’s 15 years and 11 months then you’re a nonce? No. Paedophillia specifically relates to pre-pubescents.

Far as I can tell from the media circus, Savile was predatorial towards younger women and exploited his position of power for personal gain. Which makes him a sleaze and many other things, but not a paedophile. Unfortunately, “Jimmy Savile was an ephebophile” sells fewer newspapers.

Cougar

would you not be upset if your child was molested by an individual they idolised and trusted?

Of course he would, but child molestation has no bearing on the Savile case (so far anyway). For what relevance it has I’m sure he’d be equally upset if his child was stabbed in the face.

By all means be outraged, but let’s do it for the right reasons hey?

pudd
    Free Member

Tucker whilst intellectually i understand where you’re coming from you really are close to the mark. I worked with kids in care for years, both genders and mostly 15 to 18 age group. And have to say whilst some girls maybe striking in their appearance they’re not remotely attractive, Infact they’re idiots for the most part and extremely unattractive.
    So yes a true pedophile is an individual who finds and justify sexual attraction to asexualised children but equally so are they to vulnerable impressionable pubescant teenagers.

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont know if there is such a thing as a ‘true paedophile’ as the ones i have and do work with dont try and justify it.

Cougar

have to say whilst some girls maybe striking in their appearance they’re not remotely attractive

I imagine many 15- to 18-year old boys would disagree, and plenty wouldn’t find being “idiots” a turn-off.

Back in my student days, it wasn’t unheard of for someone aged 18 to hook up with a girl in a nightclub and find out later she was only 15. Dressed up and made up beyond their years it can be very difficult to tell (otherwise doormen wouldn’t have to ask for ID).

I’m not saying that makes Savile’s (alleged) actions right, of course. As I said above, it’s sounding like he was a manipulative scumball. I just think that going ZOMG PEDOBEAR is disingenuous.

bencooper
    Free Member

The technical term really is a pederast, but that’s not really the point – we’re talking about someone who enjoys using their power over impressionable young people to do things to them that they don’t want. The exact age of the victims is irrelevant to the discussion.

Cougar

The technical term really is a pederast

No it’s not.

The exact age of the victims is irrelevant to the discussion.

No it’s not.

joao3v16
    Free Member

there are a number of currently popular celebrities who were know for groping staff/guests and continued to do so until very recently

Currently popular eh … Bruce Forsyth?

How do you deal with things that were considered “right” in the past, but considered “wrong” now?

I don’t think the stuff Jimmy ‘Paedo’ Saville was doing were ever considered ‘right’ …

geetee1972
    Free Member

How do you deal with things that were considered “right” in the past, but considered “wrong” now? do we judge them by past laws and sentencing guidelines, or todays?

That’s quite easily dealt with. If they broke the law of the time it’s a crime. If they didn’t break any law then it’s not a crime. Whether we deem it right or wrong now, morally speaking, or even at the time, if the law was not broken then the person would be found not guilty I presume, assuming it came to trial.

. Whilst i congratulate you on your arrival would you not be upset if your child was molested by an individual they idolised and trusted?

Well my child will always be my child even when they are an adult, so I guess the question needs to delineate in the way Tucker UK did so well above.

Say I had a daughter who was 14or 15 and she said some man groped her then I would be angry and would want that man dealt with in some appropriate way. But if she was say 10 and the same thing happened, then I would be as angry but would want the culprit dealt with in a very different way, more severely.

So I think it’s the degree of morale outrage that is at question here and it’s the degree of moral and legal contravention that Jimmy Savile was guilty of that has not been very well explained.

Did he grope 15 year old girls or was it far more serious than that? I don’t know, which is why I’m asking. The media hasn’t been very clear about it.

the-muffin-man

I’ve always had my suspicions about that Benny Hill fellow – he seemed a bit touchy-feely!

pudd
    Free Member

Could thrash this one out all day huh!?!

Cougar; an 18year old dating a 15 year old isn’t an issue other than the usual stuff but an established adult male with a significant age and more importantly maturity gap is a very big deal.
    Once your child has turned an age that’s considered mature in their given society then its upto them. But for example an immature boy or girl being groomed/convince/seduced of any age by a predatory older person motivated/turned on by said age gap is a questionable issue. And morally wrong.
    Thankfully we have laws to protect the youngest most vulnerable members of our society.

Cougar

Cougar; an 18year old dating a 15 year old isn’t an issue other than the usual stuff but an established adult male with a significant age and more importantly maturity gap is a very big deal.

And an established (huh?) adult male molesting a four year old is a bigger deal still, wouldn’t you say?

An 18 year old dating a 15 year old is an issue, if they’re sleeping together. S/he is illegally having sex with a minor. And yet you think that this is fine?

How would you feel about Savile hypothetically sleeping with a 17-year old fan? As of 2003, that would be illegal too.

…is a questionable issue. And morally wrong.

Sure, no-one’s saying otherwise. If Savile had punched someone in the face then it’d probably be questionable and immoral too, but if you then came on here claiming he was a murderer I’d pull you up on it.

Words have meanings, and playing fast and loose with them is the sort of behaviour that keeps the red-tops in material. By all means be outraged, but please do it accurately. (-:

totalshell

the mrs is a pharmacist in the community , working very close to two large secondary schools EVERY day she deals with girls as young as 12 requesting EHO.. morning after pill to you and me..
    she works to very clear specific guidelines..12 thats okay as long as they dont complain of an adult abusing them no parental/ social service contact required and in fact positively forbidden

given that stance on ‘under age sex’ isnt it ironic that mr savile on the front page of the sun today is accused of ‘abusing’ a 16yr old who is snapped smiling as she lays in his arms..

that savile was clearly a letcherous dirty old man and used his position to ingratiate himself with teenage girls is undeniable but the amount of ambulance chasing now that compensation has been touted is sickening..

pudd
    Free Member

Is it fair to say we’re all coming from the same place just in different ways.

No one here fancies kids and we all agree jimmy savilles a sick individual.

And once again congratulations to the fella who’s had a baby recently.

geetee1972
    Free Member

An 18 year old dating a 15 year old is an issue, if they’re sleeping together. S/he is illegally having sex with a minor. And yet you think that this is fine?

He’s breaking the law but then so is driving at 100mph on the motor way or stealing sweets from the shop round the corner.

The law should be upheld but the degree of moral outrage associated with it is different.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’ve always had my suspicions about that Benny Hill fellow – he seemed a bit touchy-feely!

I have seen actual video evidence of him pursuing large numbers of young females who appeared not to have consented and to be doing their very best to escape from him through fields, towns, shops etc

pudd
    Free Member

Ooh i needed a little comic relief papa lazarou.

nicko74

OT, but that video of JSP reminded me of a joke.

Janet Street Porter walks into a bar. “Can I have a large aperitif?” she asks.
    Says the barman “I doubt it love”

Cougar

No one here fancies kids and we all agree jimmy savilles a sick individual.

… who didn’t fancy kids either.

The law should be upheld but the degree of moral outrage associated with it is different.

Precisely my point.

thejesmonddingo

Think about it another way,is the teacher who took off to France with a 15 year old a paedophile? No,she’s physically mature.Is he an idiot,pervert,and abuser of his position of trust? Of course,and will be punished for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘The thing with Jimmy Savile is….’ is closed to new replies.