Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The theft of road signs…good or bad thing?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/8182203.stm

Good thing IMO.

In the spirit of the old meme that to improve the quality of people's driving cars should be fitted with spike in the steering wheel rather than airbags, how about taking all the signs down so that people drive in constant terror and therefore more slowly 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If the signs say something like 'Beware of the leopard', then it's probably not a good thing.

stumpyjon

Depends on the sign, there are lots that are hazards IMHO. The ones that actually impart usefull information like sharp bend etc. are a little more important. The ones the council put up on their boundaries are a complete waste of resources and add to road clutter, think Lancs council have put up some really trite ones saying something like 'Lancashire – a place where everybody matters'. No they don't, and the council certainly doesn't behave like that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there really are far too many signs. i can think of several places where you have to slow down to read them to process that much info only to realise they are all stupid things like 'new traffic island'

if your stupid enough to drive into a traffic island because it wasn't there last week then more fool you!

nickc

In July, when at least 204 signs had been stolen, officers warned stealing them was irresponsible and could put road users in danger.

Interesting use of words from the Cops there, not will or would, but could, are they slyly suggesting that perhaps some signs are a bit pointless?

zokes
    Free Member

and therefore more slowly

It was going great up until that point. If you can't read the road without a great whopping sign visually polluting the landscape, then you shouldn't be driving at all.

Perhaps that's why so many cyclists get knocked off – there aren't enough signs telling drivers to look out for us 😯

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yup too many pointless signs, like this one for instance, pure genius:

Stoner
    Free Member

I think you rather missed my point zokes.

nickc

That sign's brilliant.

chvck
    Free Member

Is that sign real?!

Smee
    Free Member

We should take all signs away. There is always a big clue that there is a bend coming up – the road starts to go that way.

zokes
    Free Member

I think you rather missed my point zokes.

That's certainly probable, just like I missed a turn yesterday as there wasn't a big sign there telling me the road bent to the right, so I thought I'd drive into a tree as I didn't know any better 😀

cbike
    Free Member

I love self cancelling signs!

There are some little builders labels on the walls saying "Temporary – Do not remove" So they seem to be pretty permanent to me!!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Aye, round here a while ago they were into knicking storm drain grates and metal kissing gates.

Pook

Pigface
    Free Member

Riding a bike through Greece at night you could tell if a bend in front was bad buy the ammount of candles on the road side shrines. If it was lit up like Blackpool then it was at least 120 degrees and with a precipice on the outside.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the spirit of the old meme that to improve the quality of people's driving cars should be fitted with spike in the steering wheel rather than airbags

It's not a "meme". What about steering wheel bongos though? And the bit where I'm stuck in traffic, my team concedes in the dying seconds and I let my head drop to the steering wheel.

I'm all for more signs. Not enough thought policing for my liking. Perhaps just general information about how to live your life, maybe watching out for brown people with headgear, illegal immigrants working the fields, that sort of thing…

mrmo
    Free Member

I think less signs is good, but we are so used to having signs that we couldn't cope without them.

And worse still is where signs have been stolen, you know a sharp corner is always signed, so if someone nicks the sign, a driver might assume it is not a sharp corner. There is no thought in this, just a set of assumptions.

mtbfix

Fewer signs would be no bad thing but these signs are being stolen and then the council replaces them. The taxpayer is carrying the burden here and as such it is a BAD THING.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not a good thing at all. 2 reasons – with the speed cameras around, It's nice to know what limit you're in as very often the limits are significantly lower than you might consider safe to drive in. (and legally they have to have them there). Secondly things like give way signs are actually very helpful in heavy fog and rain.

MrAgreeable

It would be better if they were stealing stuff like advertising billboards rather than signs that could actually be useful.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Lancashire – a place where everybody matters

to which I always mentally add "but nobody cares" …

And what about the signs which have been added to the M6 every km or so telling you how far from the start of the motorway and which carriageway ?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

road designers seem to take alternate views on providing information. Some junctions are over-signed beyond the point of saturation, and yet on many new roundabouts they deliberately use chevron signs or planted foliage to block your view of the roundabout right up until the give way line, robbing you of information that would allow you to judge your approach in a way that would allow you to merge without stopping (the whole point of a roundabout).

Quality sign

coffeeking
    Free Member

sfb – they're on most motorways now, they're there to help direct people and emergency services in times of crashes/accidents/spillage etc. They're every half km I think.

SST
    Free Member

In west sussex, certainly where I live, we numbered every lampost. Every single lampost.

Not every second lampost – thinking that a workperson could say ok that's No 3, and that's No 5, so what's the one in the middle . . . oh yeah, 4.

it's beyond stupid, and I can't help thinking the people that make these decisions would think differently if it was their own money they were spending and NOT MINE!!!!!

SST
    Free Member

In west sussex, certainly where I live, we numbered every lampost. Every single lampost.

Not every second lampost – thinking that a workperson could say ok that's No 3, and that's No 5, so what's the one in the middle . . . oh yeah, 4.

it's beyond stupid, and I can't help thinking the people that make these decisions would think differently if it was their own money they were spending and NOT MINE!!!!!

grievoustim
    Free Member

on a piece of dual carriageway near chichester there is a sign that says

"No racing by horse drawn vehicles"

I've never seen a horse and cart on this busy stretch of road – I' d love to know why it is such an issue here – and does this mean its OK to have a ben hurr style chariot race on any other dual carriageway?

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

The worst signs are the newest most reflective ones. There have been several times recently when driving at night that i've been nearly blinded , or at least dazzled and confused, by the sheer number of signs. All of which are probably pointless. Keeps/creates jobs though…

And the signs you do want to see are usually covered by trees!

thomthumb
    Free Member

"No racing by horse drawn vehicles"

my favourite road sign 🙂

I' d love to know why it is such an issue here

look south through the trees – thats the local travellers site.

zokes
    Free Member

thats the local travellers site.

But most certainly never refer to them as a type of RockShox suspension fork….

Flaperon

skidartist
    Free Member

An interesting sequence of events:

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My favourite from a while back…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The theft of road signs…good or bad thing?’ is closed to new replies.