• This topic has 32 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The "Thank a lorry driver" thread
  • TiRed

Riding in this morning, a DHL lorry sits patiently behind me in a new 20mph zone, waits to overtake whilst not cutting me up near central islands, and passes with the Highway Code endorsed spacing.

I catch him at a garage, cycle up and say thank you, and I wished all drivers could drive as professionally as he did. His reply? His first thought was that I was going to have a go at him. And he replied that he rides this road to the depot each morning and know what it’s like.

So that’s the answer – the Met’s Switching places that gets cyclists into lorry cabs, needs the opposite – lorry drivers (and of course car drivers) on bikes to see what it’s like being brushed by wing mirrors.

How do you thank good drivers?

noteeth
    Free Member

How do you thank good drivers?

Exactly as you did.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

One of my commuting routes had me mixing with vans from the local council (absolute see you next Tuesdays) and regulars from a local contracting company, whom always gave me plenty of room, waited at pinch points etc etc…
    So instead of focusing on the negative I rang the nice van company and spoke to their transport manager to congratulate him on having a great bunch of drivers.
    It made his day.

binners

I’ve always found lorry drivers to be the most considerate road users. I was thinking it was because if you’re in charge of such a large vehicle then you’d be aware how easily you could squish someone. But if that was the case then how do you explain bus drivers?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eye contact, a smile, a nod, a cheerful wave. All of these positive gestures have way more power than being Mr Shouty Ranty Pants at negative issues.

Great to see others out there embracing the positive side of things! Saying thank you to good people is far more fun, more rewarding and nicer all round than the alternative!

meehaja
    Free Member

7.5ton lorries = bad news generally as people over 40 can drive them on a car license. Anything bigger is generally ok as the drivers are quite aware. Except buses, they are all out to get me.

(IME)

stumpy01

I always give drivers a cheery wave, if I can tell they have sat behind me and waited for an appropriate spot to overtake.

On occasion, when I have noted the name of the company, I have thought about ringing them and asking them to thank the driver – part of me thinks that they should drive like that anyway, so what is there to thank? But the other half of me thinks that it might be nice for them to know that their actions are appreicated and make them more likely to do it in future.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I thanked a Black Cab driver once after he gave me loads of room whilst crossing the crossroads at Bank and we stopped up near St Pauls at the lights, he told me to **** off!
    Oh how I laughed. 🙄

binners

It doesn’t take any effort to give someone a quick thumbs up if they’ve been considerate, does it?

downgrade
    Free Member

DHL do, or at least have done, corporate schemes for cycle safety. Driver awareness I think and also taking a truck into school playgrounds and demonstrating blind spots etc.

martinhutch

Putting your thumb up Krankie-style is probably going too far, really, if what I read in the papers is correct.

cookeaa

I get passed by plenty of Kuehne Nagel lorries on my commute along the A4, they are mostly patient, often hanging back from those 50/50 passes they could make, waiting for a good view ahead…

On the flip side the Bin lorries traveling to/from the Recycling Centre at Padworth seem to be some of the worst driven HGVs on the road…

composite
    Free Member

I’ve generally found bus drivers to be really good in Birmingham and not take the piss out of you. Van and lorry drivers about the same.

My experience is that if someone is going to be a moron, then they will be driving a car.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I used to commute from Chesterfield to Buxton and the quarry trucks were without doubt the most patient and considerate drivers on route – I used to get a wave ect from the regulars!

However, the less said about Parcel Force (and all other foot to floor delivery services), farmers (pulling very long and low trailers), range rover and not forgetting the audi Avant and tradesmen crews.

Think I’m done?

theflatboy
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

I always give drivers a cheery wave, if I can tell they have sat behind me and waited for an appropriate spot to overtake.

Me too.

downgrade – Member

taking a truck into school playgrounds and demonstrating blind spots etc.

By seeing how many school children they run over without realising?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

7.5ton lorries = bad news generally as people over 40 can drive them on a car license.

And under. I’m not 40 (yet). 🙂

I normally give a thanks if someone has waited. No idea if it’s ever seen, as it’s usually just a ‘driver thanks’ – ie lifting my fingers off the brake hood to form a mini wave as the car passes. Normally do a ‘proper’ wave on the MTB where I’m more upright and usually slower.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m going to bump this to thank a bus driver. The 344, heading Sarf of the river in that London. Really good and considerate driving.

devash
    Free Member

What a positive thread. Makes me feel good inside. 😀

plop_pants
    Free Member

A car driver cut me up today when I was on a roundabout, I went past him and he wound his window down. “Very sorry about that!” says he. Nearly fell off my bike did I! So I thanked him in return and calm was restored. That was a first for me in 25 years of riding.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

And another
    Patient driving from two guys in a van from Kent Lincs, stuck behind me and the toddler trailer. Held back, nice friendly toot and wave when I pulled over to let them through. (And yes a genuine toot and wave! )

Found their details from Google and emailed them to say thanks. Took about 5 minutes and got a very appreciative response.
    Tm

TrekEX8
    Free Member

Aldi drivers to/from Wirral depot are great, waiting patiently until a suitably large gap exists.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was out earlier today on the road bike, coming from Swinley direction towards Camberley there’s a lot of small roundabouts. I was aware of a big engine behind me, but he waited until we’d cleared the roundabout and made possibly the best pass I’ve ever seen from a truck, only pulling in when I waved thanks to him. He was well wide of me, and driving a big artic low loader with construction equipment on. Top driving!

The 3 cars behind him weren’t as good, sadly….

crazy-legs

I keep thinking I should write a letter to the drivers of the H Crabtree company – I see them regularly on the A6 into Manc and they are without fail patient and courteous.

The regular drivers on the quarry run are good too. I used to see one driver (obviously on a regular run) who’d almost climb the opposite kerb when he overtook. He actually blockaded a junction for me once, preventing a car from pulling out into my path.

Also, the drivers of the 192 bus along the A6 at Stockport are ace.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Completely agree. The positive encounters need at least as much response as the negative ones. Carrot / stick? I try to ensure a wave of thanks doesn’t look like a dodgy gesture, but will do this to trucks and cars that give me decent room. We can but hope it becomes standard one day…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glad I bumped this now!

Keep them coming!

Some truck drivers are cyclists as well, you know. 😉

Sandwich

Truck drivers operating out of a depot are usually careful because you don’t pooh on your own doorstep. O licences can be very easy to lose if you upset the local residents.
    The tipper drivers of JT Few are great round our way. The Argos drawbar lads are rubbish, many overtakes on a Zebra crossing just out side their depot or crossing the double white lines on the railway crossing.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I generally find artic drivers absolutely fine, patient and safe. Van drivers, especially local paper delivery drivers, however……. 😈

But yes, always, always acknowledge and reciprocate good road manners.

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Crazy legs

I keep thinking I should write a letter to the drivers of the H Crabtree company – I see them regularly on the A6 into Manc and they are without fail patient and courteous.

Do it. put some positive stuff out there. Doesn’t have to be a long letter
    TM

hels
    Free Member

What Binners said. Professional drivers way more courteous, always get a cheery wave, as do car drivers who get it right. Although I have never stopped in a layby to thank them personally, well not for that anyway.

It’s the Mini Bus drivers I hate. No extra training, just a much bigger vehicle then they can manage and a bad attitude.

Clover

I’ve thanked a truck driver before for an immaculate pass (he was pulled into the next lay-by for a butty – don’t often get the chance). He was a cyclist too.

Agree on H Crabtree but I wouldn’t say that all the quarry truck drivers on the Hayfield to Buxton stretch are as good and if they’re not the nice ones they’re super scary.

Maybe we should start an award for considerate lorry drivers. The Singletrack Forum Award for Genteel Truckers. 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Thumbs up, wave of recognition, nod of the head… whatever as long as they know that you appreciate it.

The guy who drives the white minibus for Magnum Taxis in Whitefield is an utter **** though. He tried to kill me a bit back, I can only assume that he didn’t see me. In fairness I was pretty hard to spot in a S-Max with head lights on!

kcal

I guess round here traffic is lighter. Doesn’t mean folk don’t drive as tw*ts but it does mean you often see the same folk – good and bad.

We too have a quarry near by, if on a narrow stretch I’ll let oncoming tipper lorries have right of way, usually get a big cheery wave and sometimes big blast as well.. if I hear a vehicle behind, waiting, I’ll indicate I know they’re there and when I’m happy with a pass, usually get a toot or a wave as they pass, just makes things less stressful.

Often out on a narrow country road as well, sometimes with Anne-Marie – same time, so same lady in big discovery or range rover, it’s often her that will pull in and let us continue the spin, which is appreciated as well.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The "Thank a lorry driver" thread’ is closed to new replies.