Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The terrible journalist’s guide to writing an article about bicycles
  • righog
    Free Member

😀

D0NK

well stabiliser posted that in september (tho edited since, eg wiggins crash mentioned) when was the express twaddle posted? thought it was pretty recent.

Express article dated 11th November.

eskimonumber1

The comment at the bottom of the Express article is genius:

“Mrs Tominey and I had a torrid affair back when Camilla was a little girl. She was pure filth, I did things to her you wouldn’t do to a farmyard animal.

What’s that Camilla? I shouldn’t attack dead people who have done nothing wrong and can’t answer back?”

DezB
    Free Member

Tominey on Savile. She’s one bright lady…

Knowing he was an oddball but ignorant of his child molestation, I wrote a glowing obituary for Savile in this newspaper a year ago.

If I knew then what I know now it would obviously have read rather differently.

NO?!?!

Northwind

The Express certainly seem more liberal in their article moderation than the Mail are :mrgreen: I salute them.

ashfanman
    Free Member

More hackneyed anti-cyclist drivel from Telegraph’s Jan Etherington: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9562836/Wed-just-grown-to-love-cyclists-and-then-Andrew-Mitchell-had-to-come-along.html

Some impressive sweeping generalisations: “Nobody loses their temper more often than a bike rider…Cyclists believe they are a superior race.”

Essentially, her argument rests upon the fact that former Tory whip Andrew Mitchell was on a bike when he shouted abuse at that policemen, so therefore All Cyclists Are Bad. I wonder how she feels about vegetarians, given that Hitler apparently didn’t eat meat?

Scapegoat

What you’ve all missed, is that Tominey has written that article based on the formula presented to her in the original “guide.” The subsequent reaction of the indignant cyclists has materialised exactly as predicted, albeit tongue in cheek. So, a conundrum: can you express outrage at an article, that was clearly written tongue in cheek, based on an article that sought to expose a reversed stereotype and play on the irony? If you do, I’m afraid Tominey wins. 😀

ashfanman
    Free Member

What you’ve all missed, is that Tominey has written that article based on the formula presented to her in the original “guide.”

Even if what you say is true, and I find that highly unlikely, her readers won’t know that. So while the article may have been written with tongue pressed firmly in cheek, it may still exacerbate the wider public’s already negative opinion of cyclists.

That’s almost worse – better for a journalist to be one-sided and ill-informed than reckless.

Scapegoat

How can you find it unlikely when she’s trotted out all the cliches in more or less the order written, even down to the bit about her mother having an affair with a cyclist.

How come the writer of the guide has the moral highground? She’s only played him at his own game!

maccruiskeen

The Express certainly seem more liberal in their article moderation than the Mail are I salute them

Neither the Express or the Daily Star moderate their comments sections. You could ignore the stories and just run your own forum on there if you liked.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I thought that the Hitler being a veggie thing was an urban myth?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘The terrible journalist’s guide to writing an article about bicycles’ is closed to new replies.