Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • the sword… finally an update
  • daftvader
    Free Member

afternoon…
    after having to actually do some work i have come to the last week before deadline for minivaders roman project, so i really have cracked on with it. the handle is mahogany and the pommel and guard are steel and bulletwood. i have left it a bit rough and ready as i felt it portrayed a more workman like sword than an officers…
    work on the sheath starts tomorrow….

[/url]DSC_1043 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

bearnecessities

“By the power of Greyskull!”

slackalice
    Free Member

Looks really good DV. Is minivader taking that into school?!

daftvader
    Free Member

yes in a round about way slackalice… i will be taking it in for the kids to look at in the afternoon. im not sure minivader should be wandering the streets with a gladius strapped to his side!!! 😆

mrsfry
    Free Member

Are you ‘He-Man’!

daftvader
    Free Member

after the last year, mrsfry, i’m more he-was!!

daftvader
    Free Member

And a further update. It’s all done. Yes I should have used brown for the cover of the scabbard but they didn’t have any….
    [/url]DSC_1051 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]DSC_1052 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

I’m happy with the outcome tho.

porter_jamie

very nice

some inspiration

nickc

amazing, well done! is minivader pleased?

daftvader
    Free Member

Yes he is, and he can’t see why he can’t carry it to school!!!

chewkw
    Free Member

Nice. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nice fence.

😉

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks cfh. It’s the only bit other garden currently un-destroyed by the boy or the dog

mrsfry
    Free Member

daftvader – Member

Yes he is, and he can’t see why he can’t carry it to school!!!

I think he should. What with dragons and portals popping up all over the place, kid needs to look afer himself

daftvader
    Free Member

You’ve been to North hants too then mrsfry??! 😆

bearnecessities

Nice fence.

No capping, not tanalised, very knotty, wonky top, no wind resistance and I can spot a PLASTIC storage unit.

The picture’s only saved from a STW lynching by a hand-made weapon on the foreground 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Stumbled upon a ZM post apocalypse movie with that woman Milla Jovovich, I think it’s her but just a guess, using Thai e-nep to lop off ZM heads …

I mean I though she was using Kukri but on closer inspection she was using Thai e-nep. The shape of Thai e-nep is very similar to Kukri but much more practical I guess. 😛

I have a smaller version of e-nep …

tthew

Love when a kid’s school project get’s taken over by an over enhusiasic parent. Me and Miss Tthew I made a 5 foot tall cardboard Harp once. Full octave of knicker elastic strings. Didn’t get displayed with all the crap shoe box guitars and rice shakers. 🙁

(that’s way better than my Harp though)

daftvader
    Free Member

i didnt take over… minivader asked if we could make a real sword for the roman project, he picked the design (bloody hardest one to make!!) helped grind the shape, burn the handle in, polish the blade etc etc
    linky to photos…
    the only bit he didnt help with was the scabbard as i had to get that done while he was at school.
    we all chipped in a little for his shield too with minivader doing the designing painting and print work…
    [/url]DSC_1053 by daftvader77, on Flickr[/img]

CountZero

I mean I though she was using Kukri but on closer inspection she was using Thai e-nep. The shape of Thai e-nep is very similar to Kukri but much more practical I guess.

I’m pretty sure a Gurkha would disagree with that; I don’t recall too many Thai killing Japanese soldiers in Malasia and elsewhere during WW2.
    I have a kukri, given to my father after he was released from POW camp in Singapore after WW2 by a Gurkha who he served with, I’d say it’s a very practical tool for all sorts of things.

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    I’m pretty sure a Gurkha would disagree with that; I don’t recall too many Thai killing Japanese soldiers in Malasia and elsewhere during WW2.

Thai did not join the war.

The Japs were fighting in Malaya to get the Brits out etc and in Burma they also fought alongside Aung San Suu Kyi’s father to get rid of the colonial power.

I have a kukri, given to my father after he was released from POW camp in Singapore after WW2 by a Gurkha who he served with, I’d say it’s a very practical tool for all sorts of things.

Ya, only if you know how to use it and yes, probably easier to lop head off due to the shape. It’s more for hacking meat/food into smaller chunks rather than delicate sushi slices put it this way.

chewkw
    Free Member

Opps my mistake she was using Kukri … just noticed the notches on the blade. Oh look ZM head on the ground. 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Is it sharp?

Very impressive.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Could it be used as a real sword? Ie if it was sharp could i have a fight with it against a germanic savage, or would it fall apart?

matt_outandabout

Best. Ever. Parent does kids school project homework…

Makes mine and mini_oabs pike with axe look like the stripped willow pole with bit of roofing slate attached that it was… 😆

But at least mini_oab could walk to school with his pike in full Jacobite regalia. 8)

MoreCashThanDash

Edit ,why can’t I embed a bloody video on this tablet?

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife resented paying for a crappy nylon Welsh lady costume for St David’s day, so she did some historical research and made something more accurate out of stock fabric (yes, we have stock fabric). It’s escalated a bit though, so now we have a wardrobe of hand-made national costumes from around the world.. each costume day requires a good week of prep.

chewkw
    Free Member

😆 @ all the parents … 😛

daftvader
    Free Member

MCH and tp no its not sharp but it could be… I haven’t bothered hardening the blade as I figured it wouldn’t need to be… But it could be hardened very easily and then sharpened to fight off the germanic hoard or for chewy the zombies.
    MOAB I didn’t take over, I just provided guidance and tools and lots and lots of supervision (and plasters!!)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘the sword… finally an update’ is closed to new replies.