Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The sweatiest a bike has made me in a long time…..
  • DrP

…was last night trying to fit new tyres to my DT Swiss 5.1 rims :-/ arg!

Trying to fit conti UST tyres to them was hard, but you try jamming some Maxxis High Roller DH tyres onto them!!!
    Snapped 2 tyre levers, bent a third…..
    Gave up and went to bed in the end!

And for the smart ar$e that posts a picture of 2 thumbs – I'll come on over and bite them off!!!

SO – what's the secret of getting tyres onto these rims? THis is the reason I went tubeless on them – I couldn't bear trying to swap out a tube on the trail, ever!

DrP

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

Topeak shuttle lever, maybe the best small tire lever ever made.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Shuttle_Levers_12/5360022923/

schmiken

Washing up liquid.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've experienced trying to change a trye on a 5.1 on a mates bike in the wilds of the Chilterns. Not good.

Although it has to be said mine were not as bad, when I had them on my Yeti

Thing is, i'd say remove the thick rimstrips and use electrical tape, which gives the tyre more room to drop into the channel, but that won't work with ghetto tubeless…….

Some form of lubrication should help with your sweatyness, I think 😯

superdan

I used to have 5.1s on both ends of a DH bike. Lots of rain over several weekends meant I got it down to 20 minutes an end with Maxxis 2.5 ST Highrollers to Swampies.

I now own the foot long metal Pedros tyre levers, but found that these were rather good on the trail Chunky Pedros Tyre Levers. Between them and the trick with pulling the bead into the channel in the middle it gets a little easier, but its really frustrating to nip a tube and pump the fecker up just to have it go flat straight away 🙁

duntstick
    Free Member

I sweated like crazy putting UST fat Alberts on my 5.1D's until I gave up on the crappy plastic levers.

I picked up some metal cheapos from the LBS and they went on easy.

(And no damage to rim)

RealMan
    Free Member

Frankers
    Free Member

I tried getting off some Conti Mk tyres off 5.1 rims with the DT conversion kit and it was impossible, ended up cutting the tyres off and changing the rims to ZTR Flows.

DezB
    Free Member

I use these for the tight ones. They love it.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/p_details.aspx?id=1505

santeria
    Free Member

I use these for the tight ones. They love it.

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/p_details.aspx?id=1505
    I snapped three of those trying to get some High Rollers onto Shimano XT rims. They're not metal to the end. One snapped as I finally got the last bit on so then there was a stray rattely bit in my tire. Went to bed, got up and sorted it out. Not a pleasant experience.

igm

Second the Topeak Shuttle. Just did a Minion onto a DT5.1 – the Shuttle saved me. Still took half an hour though – hope I don't flat.

gbayf2308
    Free Member

DrP – You might still have to fit a tube even if you're tubeless.
    Four of us had three cut tyres between us on a ride in the Chilterns. So we had to fit tubes because the seleant couldn't fill the hole.

I use a Toppeak Einstein pump. It has a device on the end that connects to the rim and then you just pull it round the rim to seat the tyre. It can take a lot of force to get the tyre on but it's never been beaten so far.
    It's also a really good pump.

null

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

lezyne levers are ace, the ones bought individualy are even better than the ones that come in the backpacks. Gets conti protection tyres on and off dt 4.2's with ease!

DrP

Update….

I win I win!

After a week of holiday, I came back refreshed and ready to tackle the rims! AS i'd bent all my park tyre levers, and I couldn't get to the PO to pick up my new ones from wiggle, I searched around the garage and found these

I tell thee – the best damn tyre levers I've used! No damage to the rim, and the tyres went on with actual ease (with plenty of foamy water too)!

SO my tip – Ikea door hooks rule!

DrP

Dirtynap
    Free Member

+1 for the workshop pedros levers or park ones. I also use a pair of dinning forks. I only ever problems on DT swiss rims and to be honest its only ever one rim.

DrP

Ikea tyre levers…. £4 a pair…

😉

DrP

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

It's innovative thinking like this that puts the NHS at the forefront of modern medicine, well done sir!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘The sweatiest a bike has made me in a long time…..’ is closed to new replies.