• This topic has 51 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The Sun thread and foetal alcohol syndrome
  • sofatester
    Free Member

Hence all the inbreds on STW?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My wife thought she’d spontaneously aborted and took a drink in consolation only to find she was still with child, so we were a little anxious, but said nipper turned out too clever by half (just like me 🙂

Longarmedmonkey

I’m assuming that he doesn’t have access to their personal medical records.

The school and hence the teacher will know if a child has been formally diagnosed with FAS.

You can educate people all you want but that needs people to make good choices and take responsibility.

You can take a horse to water…. but it may still choose alchopops.

hora
    Free Member

SFB, confused here from Manchester. What are you saying there ‘partdner?

acjim
    Free Member

hmmm, the advice re: a small amount of alcohol during pregnancy was, up until recently, it’s ok. Only since 2007 did the guidelines change to abstenance, and without any evidence that low levels of alcohol caused issues. Lowest common denominator policy IMO. Interesting article here

hora
    Free Member

acjim, as long as I can drink. I DONT CARE 😉 😆 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What are you saying there ‘partdner?

which part did you not understand ?

hora
    Free Member

Are you saying she thought she had miscarried not aborted. Wrong wording?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Are you saying she thought she had miscarried not aborted

spontaneous abortion = miscarriage

grizzlygus
    Free Member

I’m assuming that he doesn’t have access to their personal medical records.

“The school and hence the teacher will know if a child has been formally diagnosed with FAS.”

Which still doesn’t help to explain how this teacher was able to claim that the majority of mothers kept drinking throughout their pregnancies – I’m assuming Longarmedmonkey, that you’re not suggesting that the majority, ie 50+%, of this guy’s pupils have been ‘formally diagnosed with FAS’ !

There is some interesting information here about the alcohol intake of scottish women in the the ‘lowest’ social class. Whilst the survey is 14 years old I doubt very much whether a more recent one would be vastly different. Plus of course it tallies very nicely with the drinking habits of scottish women at the time of a 14 year old’s birth.

http://www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/scottish/shealth/tab5-8.htm

Thus, 19% of women in Social Class I (based on chief income earner) consumed more than 14 units a week compared with only 9% in Social Class V (and an average of 13% for all women).

So the evidence suggests that scottish women from the ‘underclass’ as menothim likes to refer to them as, don’t actually exceed the recommended level of alcohol intake any more than women from other social classes.

Indeed 91% of scottish women in social class V don’t exceed the recommended alcohol intake which is better than any other social class. And furthermore, more than TWICE as many women from the highly educated social class I, fail to follow the recommended limits.

Now this of course doesn’t tell us about drinking habits during pregnancy. But I refuse to believe that a social group in which 91% of women keep their drinking habits within healthy limits, produce more than 50% of children with ‘formally diagnosed FAS’.

And since the central crux of the OP was, as are many other threads, to denounce, ridicule, and show contempt for a particular social class, may I just take the opportunity to express my own personal contempt for Britain’s ‘educated middle-classes’ who in my experience unlike the ‘lower-classes’, appear to have staggering levels of prejudices.

And are clearly in many cases, just simply pig-ignorant. Since ‘lack of education’ is obviously not a problem, I wonder what their excuse is ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Which still doesn’t help to explain how this teacher was able to claim that the majority of mothers kept drinking throughout their pregnancies

well, it may be raw prejudice, or perhaps the teacher could see them knocking it back outside the playground ?

hora
    Free Member

Said this on another thread. Friend of mine who is a Teacher was in the pre-birth ward thingy in Macclesfield. She said two chavs were at it in the next bed along. NOW this is someone who has just given birth as well. Mind boggles.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘The Sun thread and foetal alcohol syndrome’ is closed to new replies.