Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The Sun is at it again
  • grumm
    Free Member

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2729905/Drugs-professors-son-in-spliff-pic-on-net.html#mySunComments

Really tempted to start a campaign to find Sun journalists/their kids on facebook etc doing compromising things and post it all over the net. How they can claim this is in the public interest I have no idea.

bigsi
    Free Member

Lets face it, 99% of normal humans accept that when there is no real news to report a reporter, be they BBC or Daily Sport, will report on anything that they think will sell papers.

Am i right in thinking that alot of reporters are freelance and so only get paid if they report something ?

pennine
    Free Member

And The Sun sell the most copy of the major dailies (over 3m). That's a million more than The Mail every day.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

alot of reporters are freelance a

Never mind the freelancers – what about the editors who select this stuff? What makes me cringe about the Sun is that so many of its sub-eds and eds are *very* well educated and yet turn out a rag that is aimed at adults but uses vocabulary aimed at the under-10s. Shockingly poor rag.

grumm
    Free Member

What makes me cringe about the Sun is that so many of its sub-eds and eds are *very* well educated

Wasn't there a university challenge with broadsheet vs tabloid, and the tabloid team won? That's what gets me too, they know exactly what they are doing.

'Really tempted to start a campaign to find Sun journalists/their kids on facebook etc doing compromising things and post it all over the net. '

Anyone know what the legality of this would be? Would be quite amusing to see the shoe on the other foot. 😈

BoardinBob

Many of the foul-mouthed messages on his party-loving younger brother's site are too offensive to print in a family newspaper.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2729905/Drugs-professors-son-in-spliff-pic-on-net.html#mySunComments#ixzz0WpxETuVT

Quality.

A "family newspaper" that has a bird with her bangers out on page 3 every day.

crazy-legs

Did anyone see Have I Got News For You last night? They were on about The Sun vs Gordon Brown's letter to Mrs "Jones" and Jack Dee pointed out that The Sun, while having a go at GB about not spelling her name correctly, spelt her name wrong as well!

Quality.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Many of the foul-mouthed messages on his party-loving younger brother's site are too offensive to print in a family newspaper.

In the meantime here's some tits and a photo of a kid smoking pot

beinbhan

The Sun works on the principal of don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

edit: damit bob!

nonk
    Free Member

not sure about the legality of a campaign like that but i reckon you would end up wishing you hadnt bothered.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What percentage of staff at the Sun have actually partaken of drugs themselves?

Family newspaper my @rse.

philsimm
    Free Member
    zaskar
    Free Member

Its there to sell and make money out of zombie brains

will
    Free Member

Phil – That is the best thing I have ever read 😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sums up modern journalism. Why go out there and do the leg work, talk to people, build contacts, do some research, develop a story, digest the perspectives, explain what is going on and write something insightful… when you can sit on your lardy arse browsing facebook while stuffing your greasey face with chips, perve at the temps and regurgitate simplistic, misdirected, banal crap..?

will
    Free Member

Take it your a reader then Jon 😆

El-bent
    Free Member

What makes me cringe about the Sun is that so many of its sub-eds and eds are *very* well educated and yet turn out a rag that is aimed at adults but uses vocabulary aimed at the under-10s. Shockingly poor rag.

They know exactly what they are doing. What better way to impose your set of moral, ethical or political values onto the great unwashed than report news in a simplistic tone.

Mind control anyone?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Its there to sell and make money out of zombie brains

I think that is a little unfair. Sure there's plenty of people who believe all the crap they read in the Sun, but in my experience, a huge proportion of Sun readers have an extremely healthy cynical attitude towards their paper.

It has always made me chuckle how so many Sun readers are under no illusions about their paper, and yet so many Guardian readers genuinely believe that their paper is the font of all wisdom and truth.

Some years ago a dedicated Sun reader once told me something which struck me as probably very true. He said that people no longer bought newspapers for news but for tittle-tattle, as today TV provided all the news they could possible want.

I reckon he wasn't too far off the mark – 40 years ago TV news was basically rubbish, never lasting more than about 10 minutes. Today TV news is very much more comprehensive and newspapers are seen by many as only providing a bit of light entertainment during tea breaks.

Russell96

How many of the journalist's there would keep their jobs if they did the same sort of stories involving Myspace.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

a huge proportion of Sun readers have an extremely healthy cynical attitude towards their paper.

But not sufficiently cynical to stop buying it and I'm not even sure it's a "huge" proportion. I love your optimism but I think you're crediting people with far more smarts than is their due; have you seen the viewing figures for X Factor? I wouldn't wipe my arse with the Sun.

CaptJon
    Free Member

It has always made me chuckle how so many Sun readers are under no illusions about their paper, and yet so many Guardian readers genuinely believe that their paper is the font of all wisdom and truth.

I think that is a little unfair. Sure there's plenty of people who believe all the crap they read in the Guardian, but in my experience, a huge proportion of Guardian readers have an extremely healthy cynical attitude towards their paper.

Some years ago a dedicated Sun reader once told me something which struck me as probably very true. He said that people no longer bought newspapers for news but for tittle-tattle, as today TV provided all the news they could possible want.

I reckon he wasn't too far off the mark – 40 years ago TV news was basically rubbish, never lasting more than about 10 minutes. Today TV news is very much more comprehensive and newspapers are seen by many as only providing a bit of light entertainment during tea breaks.

It is well known newspapers aren't about reporting the news anymore. They are now about commentary and campaigns.

grantway
    Free Member

I dont find any of those types of paper of intrest
    There more like a comic, dont know why people buy them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But not sufficiently cynical to stop buying it and I'm not even sure it's a "huge" proportion. I love your optimism but I think you're crediting people with far more smarts than is their due; have you seen the viewing figures for X Factor?

😀 Good ol' STW intellectual snobbery and contempt for the 'Great Unwashed' – eh ?

Sun readers can be as cynical as they like about their newspaper, but they still carry on buying it if for no other reason than it's entertainment value – it costs half the price of a cup of tea ffs.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure about the "huge proportion". In my experience working on countless construction sites, with thousands of building workers, for whom the Sun is far and away the most popular newspaper, I have found many are more that happy to admit that the Sun is a crap paper when it comes to news, comment, etc – that's not the reason they buy it. They simply want something which is cheap and entertains them – often they read it back to front.

And I can't see what all this has to do with the "X Factor", other than to imply that the average person is
    stupid ……. a boringly repetitive theme on STW.

I sometimes watch the X Factor, not because I am under any illusions that it represents some sort of pinnacle of talent, but because I find it vaguely entertaining and I enjoy watching people trying to fulfil their ambitions. Plus because I don't have any issues about being smarter or more sophisticated than "the masses".

Aristotle
    Free Member

other than to imply that the average person is
    stupid ……

Is that the mean, mode or median?

The Sun is garbage that is produced by intelligent people for "the masses". The readers aren't under the illusion that it is news, but don't want demanding, intellectual stimulation and that's fine. I find that papers like The Sun trivialise important issues and make a big story about non-issues, though, which is a shame.

ps. I don't watch X Factor because it's sh*t (yes, I did see it the other week and was amazed by how awful it was), and so is Strictly Come Dancing.

Northwind

You have to laugh at this:

"In one anarchic tirade, Nutt – who is believed to be a student in London – demands: "Bring down the govornment, they don't speak for us.""

Hard to imagine anything less anarchic than quoting Radiohead really. Coldplay, I suppose.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘The Sun is at it again’ is closed to new replies.