Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • the sun.
  • alpin
    Free Member

i hate the sun newspaper. it strikes me that they just want to remain populist; they have no real views regarding politics, just so long as they sell their paper. it's my experience that those that buy the sun couldn't give a jiffy about politics, anyway. one guy i know who does buy it votes BNP, anyhow. another couldn't give a toss about politics saying that who ever is in power, it'll be the same old shit and i'm slightly inclined to agree with him.

there is no real news held within its pages.

grievoustim
    Free Member

its important to them that they back the winning horse – they were a tory paper through the Thatcher/ major years, but saw the way the wind was blowing and switched to labour before the 97 election

how much influence they will have on the result of the next election (or the last one) is debateable

GrahamS

The Sun has proven to be an excellent bellwether in the past.
    I'm not sure what this says about the UK's newsreading habits 😕

Funny thing is The Scottish Sun are not prepared to say they are now backing the Tories; only that they are not backing Labour 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

GrahamS, I guess that backs up the other posts given how the Tories are viewed in Scotland. I hate the Sun too BTW, anyone with a brain does.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sadly even stupid people get to vote, therefore the SUN will have an effect.

People should have to pass an exam before they are qualified to vote, thereby making their vote worthwhile for society as a whole. Then we would only get parties whose policies were sound, intelligent and not aimed at the popularist vote but more for the long term good of the country.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hate the Sun too BTW, anyone with a brain does.

But my brain is in my c*ck and I like boobies so I like The Sun.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeh, what grievoustim says ….. the Sun likes to back winners. Not just because it makes them look good, but because it means the general election winner owes Rupert Murdoch a favour………..or two.

it's my experience that those that buy the sun couldn't give a jiffy about politics

That's what I like about Sun readers – they mostly couldn't give a toss about their paper's political stance, unlike Guardian readers who actually take their newspaper seriously. It amuses me sometimes how much effort the Sun puts in their political articles, when I know most readers will probably ignore them.

Other than that, I hate everything about the Sun.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Product (aka The Sun) tries to keep sales buoyant shocker.

I always like the holier than thou mentality people have when they think of the demographic of Sun readers.

sofatester
    Free Member

People should have to pass an exam before they are qualified to vote, thereby making their vote worthwhile for society as a whole. Then we would only get parties whose policies were sound, intelligent and not aimed at the popularist vote but more for the long term good of the country.

That’s the depressing reality about UK politics. An ignorant population is a controlled population. 😥

chakaping
    Free Member

The real surprise on today's front page is that The Sun reckon they were supporting Labour up until now.

Murdoch will go with whichever party is going to help his business interests the most, and that's not going to be Labour for the next 10 years.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

An ignorant population is a controlled population

Ignorance is bliss

khegs
    Free Member

Most people who read the "quality papers[1]" take their papers seriously, even grauniad readers like me 😉

Even readers of the Wail take their paper seriously for some reason.
    The Sun really is very very shit though, full a celeb bollocks, and prats like Littlejohn.

[1] The Grauniad, the Torygraph, the Indie and the Murdoch Times

ransos
    Free Member

The Sun backs what it thinks is the winning horse. Well **** me…

chakaping
    Free Member

and prats like Littlejohn.

Or even worse "Gaunty".

The Sun is great at what it does though, and it's the upmarket papers that have fallen the furthest over the last couple of decades.

I'm most of the way through "Flat Earth News" by Nick Davis, which I'd recommend to anyone who's interested in the way the news generating process works (or doesn't).

coffeeking
    Free Member

There's two ways to look at this. One is to say "surprise surprise, the paper is backing the obvious winner". The other is to say "maybe the paper, which is formed by a group of citizens, are makin the same decision a large portion of the public are and so are just reflecting the public at large".

zaskar
    Free Member

I haven't bought a newspaper in ten yrs and it wouldn't be the Sun which is like most media full of crap.

I make my own decisions and vote on the policies and track record not a newspaper!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘the sun.’ is closed to new replies.