Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • The STW Swinely Sunday Ride, mk4
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For the 4th week in a row some, many or more of us will be gathering under the go ape rope brige just through the go ape gate on Sunday morning at arround 10am.

15-20miles, 2-3hours depending on how long we sepend eating jelly babies and group inertia.

slartybartfast
    Free Member

would like to join in but have to attend a wedding this weekend.

spikyjames
    Free Member

I'll be doing the "Are You Tough Enough" army event this weekend unfortunatley.

James

DT78
    Free Member

If I don't feel 'tough enough' I'll come along 🙂

ddmonkey

Sounds great. I meanwhile will be at a Christening.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bumperty bump!

DT78
    Free Member

I reckon I'll join you guys in swinley, I'm currently not feeling very tough at all 🙂

Is the centre open before 10am to buy a pass?

spikyjames
    Free Member

Nah, the centre doesn't actually open until 10

Not really much you can do.

Don't fancy pairing up for 6 hour pairs for AYTE?

James

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

DT78, you can ride without a permit, no one will stop you*, just get one at the end of the day to restore the karma ballance and dont hit anyone whilst your out riding!

*your luck may differ but I suspect 90% of the kids at the sandy cutting don't have permits.

You need to bring cash though as they dont take cards at the bike hire place.

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer James but I don't feel up for racing, hope you have a good ride.

Unless something untoward happens I'll see you at the go ape entrance at 10am. I'll be on a black charge duster.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Blue on one 456 with the monkey on the bars

Bring your sideways head, the dust is a good 4" deep on some corners!

DT78
    Free Member

Sideways 🙂

456 you say, hmmm I could be tempted to come on my new (fun) build rather than the xc bike then….

Only 9 speed though so I won't be flying up any climbs. What's the pace going to be like?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably slow, I was out today at 2 and didn't stop riding untill 6 so won't have the legs for a fast ride.

rootes1

would like to come on this, but farnborough motor club autosolo tomorrow at aldershot..

TiRed

Will be out in the forest with Palmer Park Velo, so look out for 20 kids in yellow.

regards,
    Daren

DT78
    Free Member

I'll come on my new ragley then, only finished the build properly last night so hopefully there won't be any teething issues.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Would also love to come, but have to be busy with a laptop doing work. Rather dull market entry strategy work as well.

I hope it rains. A lot. 😉

donkeysled

good to meet you today sam, (i was on the 456 ti) will catch up with you on a sat/ sun ride soon
    have a good one tomorrow

mark

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ride summary:

whole 9 yards (first casualty, blind jump to dissmount, all I saw was the bike upside down and its rider headign head first for the trees)

sandy cutting

axel run (I think), 2nd casualty, front wheel went up and over the berm and left me in mid air with nowhere to go but down, lost 1 spoke.

folowed the singletrack to the fire road and back up to

Deer Stalker (lost a second and bent mech)

Back up and round th eback of the resevoir (resevoir dogs/roler coaster?)

Seagull run

corkscrew

random bits of Singletrack and fire roads to

Stickler

Tank traps

Back allong the whole 9 yards

I'm off to lick my wounds and dress for dinner 🙂

Mice to meet you Darren and Mark, I seriously need to work on some fitness, you guys are showing me up!

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the tour Sam. Twas a bit of an unlucky one all round really ! Who places these nasty tree stumps straight on the landing spot from inviting jumps….

Luckily I had some butterfly stitches at home so have taped my shin back together again. Shin guards would have been a really good idea 🙂

Hopefully I'll make it up for another ride soon.

Hope the guy who got air ambulanced out is alright too.

rOcKeTdOg

air ambulance 😯

DT78
    Free Member

kid wasn't with us, looks like he didn't quite make the last jump in the sandy cutting.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Ah – I getcha! Thisisnotaspoon and DT78 – That was me and my little posse who led you over to the Corkscrew. I was on the anonymous black hardtail with white Fox fork.
    The monkey on the bars is a bit of a giveaway!

Hope the kid at sandy gully is ok – still wondering, where the heck do you land a helicopter in there?!?!

XC_PK
    Free Member

I was up a Swinley with a couple of mates today, we got there just after the kid crashed but before the Paramedics (and the helicopter) arrived. About half an hour later my friend went straight over the bars on the large jump and broke his wrist/arm (haven't heard back from him yet)and cracked his helmet up the side, que the 2nd call out in an hour for the Paramedics and the Helicopter! Both crews were brilliant and a thumbs up to the guy with the yellow cannondale jersey who helped him out too. Other than that it was a good ride.

FieldMarshall

For info.

The air ambulance landed up on Surrey Hill just outside the reservoir boundary.

Hope everyone recovers ok.

DT78
    Free Member

Blimey. Busy day for the paramedics. we also came across a father/mother with a baby seat which had decided to detach itself from the back of the bike! No one hurt but understandably they were quite shaken up. Geez it's like a battlefield out there.

Reluctant – small world, thanks for letting us tag along 🙂 Swinley is like a maze.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Roll on next week, hopefully I'll have finished picking the grit out of my skin and the bike will be back in one piece.

spikyjames
    Free Member

Hopefully i'll be there next week aswell 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I just sneezed and it came out black, I need to get fitter so I dont have to ride at the back 🙁

spikyjames
    Free Member

Everybody still up for this?

10 o'clock at the go ape gate?

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

XC_PK
    Was he the chap in the Banjo Cycles top ?

I'll be there tomorrow but will have my 7 year old lad there, he might slow us down somewhat…. or will I slow him down ????

nicko74

I shall unfortunately be moving house. Argh. Enjoy.

As for the father/ mother with kiddy seat, there was one a couple of weeks back who thought he could make it down the labyrinth(? – having climbed up the Wall). Amusingly he turned back, being berated by his missus as he did so.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘The STW Swinely Sunday Ride, mk4’ is closed to new replies.