• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • Rockape63
    Free Member

Flights booked to Munich 1-5th December for an very early season trip!

Wow….that is optimistic Leggyblonde. (Leggyblonde!…need photos! :-))

Having said that, Nov was great last year followed by an awful spell through Dec into the 2nd week Jan. The previous year, the snow came late in early Jan with Dec being very poor. Therefore suggest you aim high if booking early.

sweaman2
    Free Member

On topic of touring boots vs “DH” boots.

At the end of last season I replaced my old inbounds setup with some Scarpa Freedom RS on Marker bindings. Only skied a few days but my observation is that when I’m skiing well they are as good as full DH ski boots. In flat light though or when I’m skiing poorly and in the back seat they aren’t as forgiving…

leggyblonde
    Free Member

@Rockape63 I fear you may well be disappointed with any photos!

I think as long as there is some white stuff to slide on, everyone will be happy. If it’s really limited I may even look at hiring some skis 😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    giant_scum
    Free Member

For me next year will be the first time skiing abroad since 1984! school trip to Andalo in the Italian Dolomites.
    Our local ski club has organised a trip to Zell am See for the first week in February. My partner and our youngest daughter (13) are all going. Really looking forward to it, any recommendations of what not to miss?
    2017 was the first time I had skied in 30 years we had a good day on Cairngorm in February. Hopefully get some Scottish action in this coming season as well.
    Anybody else a member of a ski club? Our local one is 40 years old this year.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TheDTs, I can see your point re access to the slopes for kids. We’re thinking the same. Talking to Davina, her folks do an excellent pick up/drop off from Mickey area, which is one option, as is the idea of a download en famille from Serre Ratier area. It’s a tough one, as it’s a very good family place overall (Baths at Monetier, stuff to do in Briancon, etc)

igm

CFH – *cough* SkiFamille *cough*

There is a reason

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, very much aware of them, and they’re on the radar! Just that we have good ties with Serre Che!

They do go to Les Arcs, though, which is sorely tempting. *Has flashbacks to C&A onesie skiing in the 80s….*

igm

I can understand that.

Check they do the full chalet based childcare in the village you want if you do go for them. They haven’t always in their newer places

NZCol

^ Agree SkiFamille v good.

And anyway what wrong with a nice erm (look this is what it was called back then) fagbag? I have a lovely snap of me modelling a rather natty Killy yellow number for the Snow & Rock catalogue in 96 or 97, yes, I modelled, it paid good money. They had to nappy pin the back as every time i went off the required jump it inflated like a balloon !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I “modelled” for a few in the bike industry in my time. Thankfully, very little evidence remains!

This is my most recent fartbag (As I’ve known them for years!) sighting, a young couple skiing at Bridger Bowl. It wasn’t a fancy dress day, this was just what they happened to be wearing.

Had a chat to them on a lift later in the day. Lovely folks, as is the case with most Montanans.

Then again, same day…

hammerite
    Free Member

I have to say I’m constantly blown away by how organised vast ski areas are. They just seem to work with very few hitches.

We’ve been in Schladming since the weekend and it does not disappoint with the organisation and joined up thinking even in summer. We’ve been staying in an apartment where we get a summercard. On Monday we used the card to use a cable car for free – we then go-karted down the mountain, and I whooped everyone at mini golf. Yesterday it was red hot so we rode a few miles down the road to a swimming lake (free with some lovely small touches like an airline to blow up inflatables). Today we used it to go up and spend the morning on the Dachstein glacier (ice palace, suspended walkway, bit of a hike etc…). All busses are free. We’ve probably only used the card for 5% of the things we can.

Tomorrow we get a hefty discount on a day ticket for the bike park.

On Friday we move on to Saalbach where we get a similar tourist card for the week. Big difference is that you don’t need to pay extra for bike access to the lifts, so no more of that tourist fun, I’m using the bike everyday!

These places are seriously good value.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Good news for La Grave (possibly old news for some)
    Lease bought by Les Deux Alpes operator.
    La Grave

nbt

Anyone skied Davos and/or Wengen? We are considering a trip to Switzerland so that we can visit family, plus I’ve never skied there. Ski Miquel have a place in Lauterbrunnen that looks like good value for an all in package, but I’ve just seen a place in Davosplatz via trivago that looks good value for a week. We’d have to sort travel ourselves, but could go via family dwellings more easily that way, rather than sayig “we’re in this resort, can you drive over and find a local hotel for yourselves”

We’re thinking of going in mid march. I’m ok with off piste (with appropriate guides) but Mrs NBT is more likely to stick to the pistes.

Beagleboy

Sold all my remaining snowboard gear last week…a bit sad about that…but a bad injury two winters ago left me too scared of the consequences of riding the thing again. So, I’m now learning to ski. In March a bunch of great friends who supported me through my whole mending process convinced me to head out to Stubai Glacier in Austria with them.

It was just about okay for my level of skiing (hilariously appalling), and was in my price range for affordability. I think it worked out around 600-700 pp for flights, accommodation, ski pass and kit.

It looks like we’ll be heading to somewhere again this winter. Any recommendations? Affordable and beginner friendly, but with enough stuff to challenge my friends?

C. 🙂

geoffj

Just about to book on a New Year trip to Cervinia. It’s high, but still going to be a bit of a gamble. We lucked out at Sestriere last January, thanks to the snow making equipment, but can we be lucky again? 😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sold all my remaining snowboard gear last week… So, I’m now learning to ski.

Good….good…..embrace it…..another one joins the good side of the force!

hammerite
    Free Member

Geoff – luck doesn’t come in to it. If Cervinia is struggling for natural or man made then the rest so will most of Italy and Switzerland.

The main problem for Cervinia compared to lots of other places I’ve been to is the wind. It whips up quite a bit and the lifts close quickly. Get the international pass so you can ski Zermatt, but keep an eye on the weather and lift closing times. It can lead to an expensive night on the wrong side of the mountain, an expensive/long taxi ride home or being rescued from a hut and descending on a skidoo (as happened to a colleague and about 50 others last year!)

geoffj

Cheers hammerite. True, I remember the early season rescue from the Cervinia gondolas going up to Plan Maison this year.

igm

Good….good…..embrace it…..another one joins the good side of the force!

Stop it. Boards or skis we must remain united against blades.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

grahamt1980

Looking at booking a chalet in la tania. Anyone been?

nbt

La tania is at the bottom end of the courchevel valley. Been a long time since i was there (i was there when the euro replaced the franc) but i recall it was fine: Nightlife not extensive, but great access up the courchevel valley and over into the meribel valley, but without the higher costs of the bigger name villages. We were in meribel at Easter this year, the snow had gone from the village entirely and the same was true of la tania, we couldn’t ski down to it, although once you got higher the was plenty of snow

grahamt1980

Ta, sounds like it’s a good choice then.
    Can’t wait for this winter again

HansRey

If anybody has space for a 28yr old snowboarder, get in touch 🙂 none of my mates go on snowy holidays. Boohoo

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hans, Neilson and others do “Single Ski” holidays. They’re not “singles” in the seedy sense of it at all, but they try and find places and people that work together. Worth a look, perhaps.

If not, looks as if a few trips get organised on Snowheads, so could be worth a look over there as well.

hammerite
    Free Member

Yes check your out Snowheads. Never been on one of their Bashes, but they always get good feedback.

nbt

I’ve been with snowheads, bashes are great. Also consider a trip with UCPA via action outdoors, see feedback on here (last year’s ski thread) and elsewhere

Digby

HansRey – for European trips have a look at ColdFusion Chalets – they cater for the solo traveller and for Canada have a look at NONSTOP ski & snowboard for their 2 week improver courses etc.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Looking at booking a chalet in la tania. Anyone been?

Going there in early March, but skied there the past two Jans. 2016 was great, but 2017 was getting a bit thin and icy…..getting down to La T, but above is fine and you have a bubble lift that elevates you right up to the good snow and from there the world is your oyster.

Not the most boisterous nightlife….pretty quite really.

grahamt1980

So having spent a year or 2 on the board I’m wondering about a change back to skis
    What do people think to these as an option.
    Looks like fun
    skis

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re banned.

grahamt1980

Lol, they are like the bmx of biking though

igm

CFH – check his height / weight first. Those are fine if you’re sized like a toddler with huge feet.

Otherwise – fair enough.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

SKI-AN-DURO Announced: Ski And Mountain Bike Enduro

O….K…..

I can only imagine the fun in the transition area as ski/board kit is changed for endurognarpyjamas! 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LgPKryy8R24[/video]

NZCol

I’ve done the peak to peak in queenstown, ski, bike, paddle, run, bike. Was quite fun.

grahamt1980

Scotland in march, anything could happen with that. Could be bike from the top or ski right to the bottom….

NZCol

Just been sent a video of my 4 year old nailing the button lift at the Hillend Alps. She’s quite timid but can ski really well and this week long course has seen her absolutely smash it and be super enthusiastic (she had breakfast in her ski gear…). Proud Dad (and helpful as we’ll be moving nearer the proper hills in a couple of years ..)

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

About the only scheduling that will suit the whole family this year is Christmas week, 23rd to 30th. (group of 5)
    Any recommendations for resorts and/or operators?
    We normally prefer Austria and Italy to France, but I appreciate that going this early might necessitate looking at Val Thorens/Alpe d’Huez/Tignes too.

Cervinia offerings seem quite limited.
    The Austrian glacier resorts are not typically linked to massive areas, so not a good match for the twin requirements of snow-sure and extensive.

Would you risk Ischgl or St Anton this early in season?

Digby

Could be bike from the top or ski right to the bottom….

Sounds like a format for a new type of ‘Enduro’ … oh hang on a minute..

Click me!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.