• This topic has 1,107 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,108 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season
  • andykirk
    Free Member

What makes them so good? Good design I suppose. Certainly my favourites anyway over others I have tried, IMO of course.

TheDTs
    Free Member

What makes union bindings so good???

The colourway?:-)

sweaman2
    Free Member

^^ With reference to above discussion brought a set of used 80cm skis for sweajnr yesterday. Will report back once they’ve had a test ride at the weekend. There are plenty of Facebook groups etc but my timing is rubbish as (except for people like myself who’ve purchased poorly) people either set up for the season or waiting for Christmas. I got lucky though and found a set in local consignment store. Now the hard part will be convincing sweajnr they’re “better” 🙄 as all change is bad.

oldtennisshoes

Off to see Line of Descent tomorrow at the newly refurbished Perth theatre. Should be good.
    [video]https://youtu.be/t5J1cJwXlO0[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The board flip near the end….!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

We’re about to get 2 weeks of sun and not a drop of precipitation in sight. Freezing level way above the mountain top too, but today wasn’t too shabby.

bombjack
    Free Member

i cannot wait to go away snowboarding…………just saying

THIS.
    I’m so pumped for L2A in Feb. Currently trying to work out how to take skis and boards at the same time without bankrupting myself on airfares.
    Looks like loads of snow for this weekend in the Alpes also!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Like Whistler the Rockies is also suffering from a forecast lack of snow in the near term. It’s so bad that looks like I might be out on the summer mountain bike by next weekend if the long range forecast persists.
    Despite being in Calgary 8 years I’d never skied at the Olympic park but a $10 special offer meant I gave it a go last night.

Surprisingly good and not too busy once all the after school race teams had finished. What lens tint for night skiing 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

Gourette doesn’t open till Saturday so we randoed up to make the most of the fresh, -8°C in the resort when we set out and somewhat colder at the top:

La Pierre St Martin has been open since Sunday so we spent this afternoon cruising the groomers:

You can make out La Rhune on the horizon if you know where to look. Into Spain we could see at least 150km.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The stoke is high!

philstone

So, in a spur of a moment thing I’ve booked to go to Les Arcs skiing for a week – end of Jan.. Going with my other half and 4 friends – 2 experienced snowboarders, 1 experienced skier, my wife who has never snowboarded but kitesurfs and I haven’t skied since I was a kid..! Should be interesting! Any tips? I was confident when I was younger, off-piste etc, having skied in Megeve and Flachau..

jimdubleyou

Val Thorens for Xmas.

Looks like it needs to snow a bit more…
    http://www.valthorens.com/en/live/livecams–webcams/webcam-folie-douce—plein-sud.418.html

Just got my new Party Socks 🙂

Getting pretty excited now…

bluebird
    Free Member

but today wasn’t too shabby.

Nice, is that North Flute? (The cat track is confusing me.) Looking forward to getting back out there at the start of Feb. Hope the snow returns before then 🙂

wallop

The weather forecast is amazing.

I WANT TO GO SKIING!

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

Just booked a short weekend to Poland!should be a giggle!looks cheap and pretty and night ski ing!
    Couldntjustify a week ski break as much as id love one (due to buying a house)
    Somewhere new too!going in march cant wait!

wallop

Philstone – which bit of Les Arcs are you staying in?

bluebird
    Free Member

Any tips?

Get yourself and your wife to the snowdome for a few one hour lessons over the next few weeks. It’ll take the sting out of the learning curve when you arrive.

bombjack
    Free Member

Looks like it needs to snow a bit more…

Fear not, with snowmageddon arriving over the next 7 days I think there’ll be plenty for xmas week.

philstone

wallop – Staying with WhiteBeams at Peisey..

bluebird – we’re in Jersey – not that practical! She’s going have lessons anyway, I’ll do a couple of days to get back up to speed..

wallop

Peisey is lovely. Anybody having lessons?

wallop

I’ll drop some lunch recommendations in here when I get home later!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Nice, is that North Flute? (The cat track is confusing me.) Looking forward to getting back out there at the start of Feb. Hope the snow returns before then

Nope, Flute currently requires skinning out to as neither Harmony or Symphony are running, and my touring skis still don’t have bindings on them.

This is above Crystal, just above the cat track that you would ski down to get there from Glacier chair.

philstone

Wallop – Yeah, my wife is going to learn to snowboard and I’ll need a couple of refresher lessons I reckon. Can you recommend anywhere? I know Les Arcs pretty as well as I usually go there in the summer on the bike.

wallop

Ah good, that means you’ll be familiar with how to get between different villages. I have to say I prefer it in the summer to winter but the familiarity is nice.

Ski school wise – lots of people recommend New Generation in the Peisey Vallandry area.

Lunch wise:

The mushroom shaped bar up in the Arc 2000 bowl is good for cheap coffee and pizza

The Sanglier qui Fumé (or something) – The Smoking Boar – is a nice cosy stop just off the cachette piste just above 1600.

There’s a good noodle restaurant on the side of the piste just below the Transarc mid station.

The Arpette restaurant has a cracking view on a nice day.

There’s a creperie opposite the bottom of the Grizzly and Vallandry lifts which isn’t open in summer – it does THE BEST French onion soup.

I like my grub when I’m skiing 😆

Keep an eye out for the golden eagle – especially above Peisey!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still no one with local knowledge of grands massif conditions. Thinking about a few days pre Xmas

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

philstone – Member
    Wallop – Yeah, my wife is going to learn to snowboard

😉

wallop

😆

wallop

THM – Flaine is forecast a shitload of snow this weekend (as is PDS) – I should imagine conditions will be fine but I’m not sure when the domaine is fully open.

Also trying to persuade the spouse that a quick pre-Christmas trip is a good idea but we are going to Samoëns in March so would opt for PDS this time.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wLq9sWFnh8[/video]

Shift Bindings

These look very interesting from Salomon for next season. Tours like a pin binding, descends like a full alpine binding.

This would be the sort of thing I’d go for, not crazy heavy but with the safety features and performance I’m used to from a DIN certified alpine binding.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx Wallop.

Next weekend is opening I bekieve

wallop

That seems to be the case for most areas but interestingly the full PDS isn’t scheduled to open til the 22nd. Which is annoying 😆

bombjack
    Free Member

PDS lift dates – https://www.morznet.com/lifts/dates
    Its not just the snow they need – its the other infastructure like the buses / bins / lifties etc. Looking good for those out there over the next week or two though.

bluebird
    Free Member

whatnobeer – are they just saving them for the holidays? I presume there’s enough snow up there by now.

NZCol

whatnobeer – cheers, really interesting and I’ve been holding off replacing all my touring kit as i just do not like pin bindings. Might repair my current stuff and hold out.

oliverracing

Great dump overnight here in Sainte Foy, probably 10cm at 1250m with a lot more forecast!

(For reference the road with a few tracks along is the main Bourg to Val D’Isere road)

Got up to Val D’Isere yesterday, some great conditions up high with a few bits of sheet ice on the lower slopes, but looking like this dump should fix that!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

whatnobeer – are they just saving them for the holidays? I presume there’s enough snow up there by now.

Definitely looks like enough snow to open, and from the stuff we hiked, apart from a few shark fins it’s been pretty reasonable. I assume it’s just a case of the new owners wanting to save a little cash and not run them until it’s a little busier. Either that or lift opts are still working their asses off to get them ready after getting hit with the early opening. 7th heaven was rumoured to be opening this weekend, so they shouldn’t be far away.

whatnobeer – cheers, really interesting and I’ve been holding off replacing all my touring kit as i just do not like pin bindings. Might repair my current stuff and hold out.

Aye, Blister had a first look review today and reckon they could be the real deal but obviously waiting on further testing. Looking like a potential game changer.

wallop

Morzine on Friday, whoop!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fantastic first day of the season here in åre. -10c, windstill and alot of good snow about . Got to test some new boards including the highlight above , a Nitro squash 153. Its good to be ripping again!

continuity
    Free Member

Probably a question to get chucked back at me, but I’ve always skied “on the kindness of strangers” – through work, or though friends who have places in france or switzerland.

I’m now looking at taking the missus out for a week in february (not half term!) – but am sort of stumped as to where to look. I’d like to go french alps unless it’s prohibitively costly – I’m an intermediate, she’s a beginner so we probably won’t ski out a small resort in a week.

Is the general STW advice to try and find a package deal? Find others to go with to rent a chalet? Try and do it as a bum?

I thought best to stick on here rather than add another random thread.

wallop

I think it depends on what sort of accommodation you like but for sure a package deal is probably the most straightforward. However if you’d prefer self catering then I’d say avoid the likes of Crystal, etc.

Any particular reason for choosing France though? Austria can be smashing for beginners.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 1,108 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2017-2018 season’ is closed to new replies.