Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Arbor Clovis

hammerite
    Free Member

This is like an evening in with Ron Swanson.

colp

Season started yesterday for us, the Salzburg Super season pass started from mid October this year so we got up onto the Kitsteinhorn yesterday and today, going again tomorrow.
    Only a few pistes open at the moment but it’s cold enough to run the cannons so I suspect a few more will open shortly.
    The ones open are in pretty good condition and the sun was out today a lot of the time.
    Only got a couple of pics but here’s one of my lad at the end of the day heading down to the Alpine Centre (approx 2400m)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Nice Colp!

swavis

Well as we just got married a few weeks ago and next years overseas trip will be to Lake Garda for summer honeymoon there’ll be no snowboard holiday next year…

which allowed me to justify buying this… 😀

Screw you Natural Retreats!! 😈

Hoping for lots of local snow on the Cairngorms

*does snow dance*

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Anyone going to the snow show at Battersea? Anyone been?

Got free tickets for today and I’m not sure yet…

If we are talking gear pron, I have a pair of these which need to get out again…

nedrapier

Nice, Swavis!

I would really like a Milligram split, but lottery wins aside, there’s no justifying it. I’ll keep hauling my Venture around, and try not to think about the fact that it’s 750g per foot heavier than it needs to be.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Very nice Colp. I was offered a trip to Kaprun in Nov and just realised thats where you are.

webcam

swavis

Wow, that Miligram is nice!
    I managed to pick up the K2 with skins for £500 from Ekosport, bargain! Last one in 161, I think there’s a 155 left.

nedrapier

Good work! Wife has a K2 Panorama from a couple of years ago bought for similar, end of season. She really likes it. Word of warning though – if you’re tired and not thinking 100%, it’s possible to put the skins on the wrong board halves and go quite some way before realising there’s something wrong. Because you’re hooking into the holes rather than over the top of the board, or dangling tail clip straps, you don’t get the same visual clues. I think she went nearly 1km on the flat before she hit a slope and realised something was very wrong.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

If anyone stumbles upon a split bargain let me know!

swavis

Cheers for that ned, I’ll keep that in mind 🙂

nedrapier

164 K2 ultra with skins for £480 at the theboardbasement.com

I should have some used gen 2 Spark Ignitions for sale, too. With Mr Chomps and all the bits

99percentchimp
    Free Member

Skis out this weekend… Chill Factore on Sunday!
    Les Gets at Feb Half term with me and my two boys – can’t wait and maybe a trip to a mates place for a long weekend in the southern Alps 🙂
    Need to try to remember all from last years one to one lesson.

hammerite
    Free Member

Stoats – just spent the day at the ski show. Currently traversing London weighed down by mustard and hot sauce bottles.

For lovers of wood check out PFD skis and DOUK boards who I saw at the show. Both UK made.

hammerite
    Free Member

I enjoyed the show, but a strange mix of companies. Some bug retailers, some smaller. Lots of tourist offices, none of the big manufacturers or their distributors. Lots of very small niche/family businesses and a few random product startups who you think “who would buy that?” There was a stand for an app called Snoww, which for all intents and purposes is Strava for skiers, the developer who we spoke to actually said “I took a lot of inspiration from Strava.” No mate, you’ve ripped it off!

Last time we went it was at the NEC a good 6-7 years ago, although the Battersea show is smaller I think it was a bit better.

colp

It was a beauty of a day up there today, bit busy as the Germans arrived for half term, but the snow was lovely.
    A couple of shots of my little fella in the park and my friend Thom.

Took it easy as I’m still recovering from a big off in Leogang bike park a couple of weeks ago.

There were a couple of lovely Jones boards outside the bar today, both wood finish, one was a split with carbon highbacks.
    There was also a private party of swingers in the main umbrella bar getting increasingly naked throughout the day.
    Austria is both fantastic and bizarre.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Colp is that kaprun?

Thanks for the tip on the K2 but it’s too big . I’m 185cm and biggest board in the quiver is 161

colp

Yeah, it’s the Kaprun glacier. We have a place about 30 mins away in the Hochkoenig ski region.

igm

99percentchimp – how old your boys and which half term weeek did you get? We’re taking a very competent 10 year old and a learning 6 (by then) year old to Les Gets in the second (cheap!-er) half term week.
    If yours are 20 then you’re on your own, enjoy, but if they’re similar ages our elder one loves having people to ski with (possibly see you at lessons – 360 – too)

nedrapier

hyd1, I wouldn’t count it out because of that. There’s an argument for going a little longer on a split, you’ll be skinning and riding with a pack, so you’ll be a bit heavier – board length is more about weight than height anyway, and the general idea is to be finding soft snow, so more float is better.

3cms isn’t much of a difference, and the rocker profile is going to make much more of a impact on how it rides than the a few cms of length.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks but I ride 156/7 normally , don’t like longer boards in general, float doesn’t just come from length and I won’t necessarily be riding champagne pow every time I use it but ta!

99percentchimp
    Free Member

igm – Member
    99percentchimp – how old your boys and which half term week did you get? We’re taking a very competent 10 year old and a learning 6 (by then) year old to Les Gets in the second (cheap!-er) half term week.
    If yours are 20 then you’re on your own, enjoy, but if they’re similar ages our elder one loves having people to ski with (possibly see you at lessons – 360 – too)

Mine will be 11 and 9 by then…. both reasonably competent – the younger one is the better of the two (manages black runs with no falls) but both love to ski with other kids too. We’ll be there Welsh half term (Sunday 19th – 26th) – flights weren’t cheap so maybe not the same half term week – if so be good to catch up 🙂 Will see if I can PM you too if same week.

igm

Same week, we’re there on the 18th – check the prices for the week before 😯

geoffj

What padded ski/board bags are folk using?
    It will be my first time taking my own skis this year and I’m pondering one of these: http://eu.dakine.com/p/ski/gear-bags/board-bags/fall-line-double-190cm-ski-bag-17w

I like the idea of wheels.

momo

Wheels are good in airports but can be a pain in resort if the paths aren’t cleared very well. There is a temptation with the coffin style bags to fill them which can push them well over weight.
    I have a Dakine Low Roller board bag, looks remarkably similar to the one you’ve linked to, I’m guessing that the internal straps are the only difference (and the length) have only done a couple of trips with it so far but still looks like new.

sprootlet
    Free Member

We have the Dakine roller bags and they are great. Also have an old one without wheels and it is a PIA getting through airports. For a single set of skis with nothing else in the bag the old style single ski bags are OK but I’m sold on the wheeled ones now I have one.
    Other makes are Douche bags but they can be eye wateringly expensive although they are really well put together.

nedrapier

Can’t recommend Douchebags enough. I picked one up half price, due to a cut in the fabric in the shop. S&R gave me a goretex patch for it, and £100 quid off. Couldn’t say no! Solves my main gripe with coffin bags – always a bit too long, so they dangle and smack the bags of your legs, and stuff inside rattles around. I’ve got a few different sized boards, so going as small as possible doesn’t work. It packs down super small, too.

If I lost it, I’d struggle to justify £200 for one, though. Probably stitch a couple of daisy chains to a much cheaper bag and attempt to bodge something similar.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Nitro doppleganger split any thoughts my sideways standing buddies?

nedrapier

geoff – wheels are definitely handy for almost everywhere. And if the resort’s snowy, you’re either dragging the bag or carrying it, so you’re not losing by having wheels. Watch for dog tods, though!

Don’t go longer than you’re likely to need – see above.

And as per momo – always use a set of scales when you’re packing! Bathroom or luggage. Easy to turn up with a bag that’s too heavy and get stung for it.

nedrapier

I know nothing, hyd1, except for what’s in here – they reckoned it was pretty good.

http://www.splitboarding.eu/en/splitboard-news/splitboard-test-first-impression-2015-16

hammerite
    Free Member

I use a Dakine Fall Line Double. Really good bag. I put in two lots of skis and sticks and a few pieces of clothing to give extra cushioning and am always within the weight limit.

That said we also have a Decathlon wheeled bag out of one of their discount bins (a big bin at that!). It’s not far off the quality of the Dakine one. Can’t remember if we’ve managed to get two lots of skis in there or not. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/easy2travel-skis-bag-id_8316459.html

geoffj

Thanks all, I’ve ordered a couple off face west as they have them for £85 each.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fantastic thanks nedrapier. Found one for 300euros ex demo so might well go for it

nedrapier

Good work! with skins and hardware?

jedi

i was at the battersea show. douk snowboards look awesome. love my yes pyl still so no NEED for another……

cobrakai

We have 2 options. Due childcare and shift patterns we have to do Sunday 5/2/17 to Sunday. Theres St anton via innsbruck or courcheval via chambers.

I want St anton, the wife courcheval (her friends there). Child care, catering and price are broadly similar.

My question. Is chambery bad on a Sunday? I’m hearing some horror stories.

nbt

Chambery is FAR better on Sunday than Saturday. Saturday is AWFUL.

beanum

Just checked out DOUK snowboards…

I wonder if the Jones lawyers are gonna be calling ? That mountain emblem is pretty similar even if it is on the topsheet…

[img]http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/the_flagship.jpg[/img]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s awfully similar…..

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.