Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wants to go somewhere a bit more ‘villagy’, can anybody recommend a good beginner/intermediate French/Italian snowboard resort that will tick the box?

Serre Chevalier, innit. 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

Cervinia is not as pretty

That’s a bit of an understatement. It’s grim.

Spin
    Free Member

can anybody recommend a good beginner/intermediate French/Italian snowboard resort that will tick the box?

Not sure if it’s particularly snowboard friendly but La Thuile meets your other criteria.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    beanum

I was in La Thuile several years ago. It’s not a bad resort for boarders but the best snow when I was there was in La Rosière over the border but there’s the drag lift from hell to get back into Italy…

beanum

wants to go somewhere a bit more ‘villagy’, can anybody recommend a good beginner/intermediate French/Italian snowboard resort that will tick the box?

If money is no object then Mégeve is very nice…. Combloux is nearby and shares some slopes but is way cheaper…

geoffj

So a cheeky 5 days in Sestriere booked for January. 😀

Cervinia is not as pretty but it’s a pretty good place to gain confidence, it has some super wide cruisey pistes. Links with Zermatt, so again lots to ride.

This ^

Spin – Member
    Cervinia is not as pretty
    That’s a bit of an understatement. It’s grim.

That’s a little bit harsh IMHO

colp

Check out Maria Alm in Austria. 150km of piste and nowhere you need to take your board off.
    No drag lifts that you need to use.
    All the linked villages very pretty.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Cormayeur, nice town,easy transfer, not so easy onto the slopes but that’s what you get with the older towns in my experience.
    Zermatt is a great town, plus you get trains not cold chairlifts.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Liked that a LOT! Some great “real world” skiing. The sort of stuff that I like to do, just done a whole lot better! A nice change from all the loony tunes huckfest and cliff drop stuff, just back to the basics of having fun across the whole hill.

The groomer sections were delicious.

As a matter of interest Captain, would you be able to do all the descents in that video, albeit not quite like Marcus? How many skiers on this Forum could do all of those descents with a degree of confidence/speed?

Im just interested in the skiing ability of my fellow forumites! FWIW, having 25 years away from skiing and only getting back into it at the age of 50,(five years ago) I am limited by the thought of doing myself a serious injury and stick mostly to pistes and the odd rummage through the nasty stuff. However that bit is restricted to a 5-10m couple of turns then pause to ‘gather ones thoughts’!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d say I could do most, but probably not all! Camera affects how steep stuff looks etc.

Oh, and the bits that I could ski, I’d be nowhere near as smooth or fast!

andykirk
    Free Member

Anyone riding NOW bindings on their snowboards? Anyone care to comment? Notice a real difference?
    Why I am using so many question marks?

TheDTs
    Free Member

I would say about 95% I would ski, the tight rocky lines I would avoid.
    i would not be skiing any of it as fast or be getting as much air as the chap in the film.
    The conditions in that film look a bit rubbish, thats the beauty of it in my mind.
    He is nailing each turn even though the snow is tracked and wind blown with pockets of soft snow surrounded with harder snow.
    The mark of a really good skier. Able to make the most out of the conditions and terrain on the day and make it look easy. Part of the making it look easy is in the edit, but that takes nothing away from the skiers talent

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@andykirk yes have tried older Now bindings , comfortable in the sense of reduced ‘chatter’ but the heel cup was too narrow, so I noticed them. Much like a good referee in the football, the good ones are the ones that you don’t notice.
    Felt slower to initiate turns too on jumps but I imagine that could be nice in powder.

Don’t know what the newer ones are like mind. I doubt I would move away from Unions or Rome

igm

Got some NOWs. Prefer Flow.

Make me an offer. Boxed rarely used.

You get different elastomers to reduce chatter or increase response.

hammerite
    Free Member

Geoff – from the previous page and for future reference. It doesn’t normally take 3 hours to get from Turin airport to Serre Che. 1h 45-ish I would guess. Although I suppose if you are on a Tour Ops transfer coach and had to drop somewhere on the Milky Way first (not Claviere/Montgenevre as you pass through them) then it might I suppose.

geoffj

Thanks Hammerite, that’s useful to know. The January trip is very much cheap and cheerful, but Thomson and Jet2 fly direct to Turin in the winter from Scotland, so it will open up options for next year.

geoffj

Apologies if this has been done, but I’ve just come across The Horn on Redbull TV. Documentary series on search and rescue around the Matterhorn.
    https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1N849GEKD2111/the-crevasse

hammerite
    Free Member

I suppose another disclaimer on the journey time would be weather conditions. You have to go over a mountain pass to get the Serre Che.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mods delete if not appropriate. – could report to classifieds here if better.

I have a pair of Salomon Optima EXP 9.0 which need to go. Happy to do an STW special and post to a forum-ite. Never fitted me properly as I bought the wrong size 😳

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/salomon-optima-exp-90-ski-boots-size-34027-with-recco-tags/1195121787

nedrapier

Cheers for the Snowbird vid! I do like a vid that has “just turns” in it.

Here’s one of my favourite “bad” conditions clips:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4u_z3T9U-8[/video]

as the title suggests, it contains an s word and an f word. and I think a few more f words if you’re swedish.

momo

Have been discussing with MrsMomo this morning, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that we will not be skiing this season (she is taking more convincing!) due to the planned arrival of MiniMomo in January. she is still optimistic that we may get a week at Easter if conditions hold.

nedrapier

Good luck making the right decision! Impossible to know how you’re going to feel about leaving mini for a week till you get there, so forget about it till March and see how you feel, see what the snow’s like. If you’re good to go, pick something last minute where it’s good.

I’ve done the other thing – just booked accommodation well in advance – Lyngen Alps for a week’s touring in early March. It’s a pretty strong group, but I’ve not skied with them before, so it will be interesting to see how the group works and what we get up to.

singletrackmind

Booked week #1
    7th Jan to Risoul , France .
    £349 with Rocketski , flight , transfer , HB accom.
    Its basic school trip, no thrills hotel, in a small-ish resort.
    At that price though , as long as there is some snow and hot water at the end of the day, I can deal with basic .

Rockape63
    Free Member

Blimey that is Cheap! 😯

igm

Suspect there may be some cheap deals this year

Digby

Lyngen Alps for a week’s touring in early March

are you in a lodge or on a boat nedrapier?

nedrapier

We’re going a bit more low-rent than that, Digby! Airbnb place near Svensby.

footflaps

Got a £50 snow and rock voucher through the post yesterday, was a prize draw with SkiTotal, who we booked a holiday with 🙂

http://www.skitotal.com/snowandrock/

Digby

Looks fantastic nedrapier – toured on the Eastern side of that peninsular (accessed via boat).
    A wonderful place – hoping to go back at some point myself!

nedrapier

It’s a pretty special place, isn’t it? This’ll be my 4th time there. I keep going back with people who’ve seen pics from the previous year and want some!

geoffj

PSA Glisshop.co.uk with 17% off their already fantastic prices.
    Just bought new skis for the kids.

https://www.glisshop.co.uk

shifter
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member

Booked week #1
    7th Jan to Risoul , France .
    £349 with Rocketski , flight , transfer , HB accom.
    Its basic school trip, no thrills hotel, in a small-ish resort.
    At that price though , as long as there is some snow and hot water at the end of the day, I can deal with basic .

Same week with them for me but going to Le Corbier. Something daft like £500 including carriage and pass. Praying for snow already.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Geoffj, that site has just led me to drooling over these….

Haven’t heard of Fusta skis before. Pretty, though!

geoffj

Captain I’m sure your French is better than mine
    http://www.fusta.fr/la-marque-lentreprise/

Looks quite boutique 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, beaucoup de bling!

beanum

Hmm thanks for that, now I’m drooling too…

They would go well with my snowboard wood obsession… 🙂

I’d need to get better at skiing before I could just justify those prices..

[img]http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/wp-content/uploads/the_flagship.jpg[/img]

nedrapier

Can’t let a snowboard wood obsession go by without a mention of Swell Panik:

One day…

http://www.swellpanik.com/snowboards-splitboards-monoskis/twinzer/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, has anyone on here got wood?

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and these?

Drool.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Powderjet shapeshifter split

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.