Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • sweaman2
    Free Member

The Canadian in me thinks that looks like an upside down canoe but I assume that isn’t the case 8)

GrahamS

I’ve just put a deposit down on this bad boy

Isn’t that like your fifth new board in this thread or something??

You have a problem. 😆

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

haha 3rd. just need a splitty and my quiver is complete!

edit grahams just looked at that link get the 32 focus boas, great boot.

GrahamS

Yep, it’s on the list, looks pretty similar spec to my Vans.
    But reviews say it is very stiff. I was thinking of going a little softer this time. Maybe the 32 Binary Boa?
    Will try both and compare.

GrahamS

Mate spent the day at Cairngorm today on a corporate jolly for work. The git. 🙂

Limited snow obviously, but soft and ridable apparently.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

that looks cool! I think those 32 boots soften up after a week or so. not sure if 32 still means the number of days that they last before they break, that was the old joke anyhowsers

Stoner
    Free Member

indeed, DD’s mitts were a thing of wonder.
    My 15yr old levels are not long for this world and I see me kitting out the whole family in DDR finest!

They really were excellent. Still bone dry at the end of a wet stormy day. Excellent recommendation HWD.

wallop

Glad you’re having fun too, Bunnyhop. My head sometimes puts the brakes on too – there’s always another day!

Edukator
    Free Member

Heart said ski the black, head said no.

A football coach told me there are more injuries in the last quarter hour of a game than the rest of the game. Tired muscles are more easily injured, tired muscles don’t maintain joints as well, mental fatigue means you make more mistakes. It’s often a vicious circle as you ski badly and use more strength saving the situation or fail to save it. Give up and go back another day – you wisely did.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never EVER say…”Just one more run”

Ever.

wallop

Exactly – always say “two more runs” and then do one! 😆

igm

One more beer

No?

grahamt1980

Wallop – That is our motto on boarding and riding.
    Only way to be

Digby

Sadly the boot selection back here in the NE England isn’t quite as extensive

GrahamS – any chance you could swing ‘West-Side’ a bit and pay a visit to ‘The Sick And The Wrong’ in Keswick?

They carry 32, Northwave, Burton and Salomon.

haha 3rd. just need a splitty and my quiver is complete!

you should consider a ’12 step program’ … 😉

mefty
    Free Member

A football coach told me there are more injuries in the last quarter hour of a game than the rest of the game.

My School Doctor had a 30 year pool of data of Rugby Injuries (600,000 player hours) and this showed approximately 32% of injuries took place in the final quarter, 25% in the first quarter.

GrahamS

Ooh thanks Digby. Might head that way at Easter, if I do then I’ll check them out.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just to add a bit of confusion, can heartily recommend the Insanos. 2 trips this year, my first ever experience of days and days of zero foot pain. I had K2 T1s previously.

Few things to note:
    They’re a bastard to get on when they’re cold (think “ski boot hard”…seriously…but if you have boot warmers in your accommodation, that’s not a problem…maybe the first day.
    They really are stiff.
    The Intuition liners are toasty all day.
    Having a side BOA where you can actually feel your heel being locked down does the world of good – perhaps just a mind thing but it’s a lovely feeling.

I bought mine with a significant reduction from The Board Basement.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Exactly – always say “two more runs” and then do one!

I always do one more run, when the rest of my pals are heading in. They leave me to it after a mate went down on an innocous red and hurt himself. This years last run was the top to bottom 3miler above Briancon….legs screaming every 400m so stopped and waited 1m before setting off again. was slow but made sure I enjoyed it, and more importantly stayed healthy!

shifter
    Free Member

Did that run early in the day last Tuesday. It’s a beaut. No one on it ‘cept us. Lovely 🙂

Bunnyhop

Conditions today – awful. Frozen, hard piste, the type that loosen your fillings first hour or so.
    Snow softened a little, later on.
    I managed 2 runs of an easy short black, which was easier than the flipping scary hardpack reds.
    Persuaded some friends onto the black later on (black virgins), they both skied it well and more importantly enjoyed it, result.

Packing now 🙁

Digby

Pleased to hear the new hip worked out for you Bunnyhop (MrsDigby had a hip replacement a few years ago and is now snowboarding better than ever!) and you had a great week despite some mixed/challenging conditions.

hammerite
    Free Member

In more challenging conditions when tired I often find black runs easier than the red alternative. Usually quieter, less chopped up and a touch shorter.

I’m really bad at saying “just one more run.”

wallop

Depends where you are, I reckon. In Austria I’ll actively seek out the black runs over the reds, as you say they tend to be quieter. I like it chopped up though. In France though some of the blacks are SAF! Much more so than Austria.

YMMV.

Bunnyhop

Digby – that’s great that your wife is back snowboarding.
    I purchased some padded (at the hip) shorts, these really helped mentally.

My fear was falling, or being crashed into and taken down. As a slight built woman, I would almost always come off worse.

Agree Wallop, I too feel more comfortable on some blacks than crowded reds, where often the snow is in better condition.

jambalaya
    Free Member

😯

Digby

My fear was falling, or being crashed into and taken down. As a slight built woman, I would almost always come off worse

Completely understandable Bunnyhop – that was MrsDigby’s fear as well – it’s one of the reasons we have preferred Canada these past few years:

There’s a lot less ‘traffic’, the Canadians are incredibly polite and the ski hills are thankfully devoid of testosterone fueled, one week a year, have-a-go-hungover-faster-than-your-skill-level types.

@ jambalaya – now that’s what you call a ‘crown wall’ … wow …

hammerite
    Free Member

Wallop – I know what you mean. My most terrified moment on skis was probably in Les Deux Alpes when heading down the Valentin black. Not terrifying because it was steep, not terrifying because it was hard packed (solid) but terrifying because half of France seemed to be on it in various states of control. I pulled over at one moment to take stock of what was happening and I think I counted about 10 people sliding on their backs all the way to the bottom at speed.

john_l
    Free Member

Just back from a week in Bansko – unbelieveable snow – didn’t stop for nearly 5 days! Brilliant conditions, if not a little short on visibility higher up.

Anyway, need new boots & have just realised that my local (Edge & Wax) has closed & moved 100% online, so any recommendations in the South East/Brighton area – Snow & Rock?

hammerite
    Free Member

John try closed 100%. They’re no longer on line either.

john_l
    Free Member

They’re trading as Glisshop.co.uk

NZCol

In Les Gets and it’s cooking hot, had a beer in shorts ! Snow holding up at the moment but by 2 is v wet. Forecast is milder for Wed and Thu so will be looking the bikini out !

jambalaya
    Free Member

NZ +17 in Paris today

hammerite
    Free Member

John – Glisshop are a different company altogether, a physical ski shop based in France but with a .co.uk website and pricing in pounds. I’ve had stuff from glisshop in the past, they’re very good and when the £/€ is better the pricing is almost unbeatable.

john_l
    Free Member

Ah – E&W appear to have sold them their customer database then.

hammerite
    Free Member

Seems there’s a bit more to it… I think Glisshop have also bought the Edge and Wax domain name.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125803&start=240&sid=ad8ddd38f0dcf6b9b15c682760c6fa6d

igm

NZCol – how’s Marjorie?

beanum

Anyone on here ridden a Jones Hovercraft? On piste?

Some lowlife stole my Jones Flagship last weekend so I’ve been looking for a replacement. I’ve seen some good deals on the Hovercraft and some reviews saying it’s actually really good on the piste so I’m considering it. I never ride switch and never leave the ground (intentionally) if that helps… 🙂

igm

Might have a large Flagship under the bed at home not doing much…
    Four years old but only ridden for a week or so as I got a Mountain Twin.

Digby

Anyone on here ridden a Jones Hovercraft? On piste?

Yep – I demo’d one a few seasons ago – it’s a great board (and pretty much the basis for a Flagship – sans swallow tail).

It’s a based on a ‘race’ board so it’s great fun to lay down massive carves with.

In the end I went with a Flagship as it’s a tad more versatile [for me] but if you can pick up a Hovercraft for a bargain I’d go for it.

sorry about the loss of your Flagship – was this whilst in resort?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have a hovercraft 156 and it’s rad. you can get them pretty cheap in sales, 2017 version is better than 2016. designed to be shorter than normal

However what is the point of snowboarding if you don’t leave the ground?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.