Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,934 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as a snowboard magazine in the UK. Been looking in the usual places and can’t find anything.

ocrider

Whitelines stopped printing only a year or so ago, but exist online.
    You can still get Onboard, I think

singletrackmind

Just bought a new jacket online from TK Maxxxxx . Anyone had one , seen one , tried one on?
    Its an O’Neill Jeremy Jones Schoeller Shell

Maxxx Jacket

£70 , which seems silly cheap. As far as I can tell its a reasonable spec fabric , with what appears to be a slightly longer length body than alot of shells which are 4″ shorter than the arms.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect it to be water resistant / water proof. it will be breathable.
    As a general rule, if the blurb says
    “highly breathable” = not waterproof
    If it says “highly water proof” = sweaty, not breathable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Schoeller make some great fabrics. And some shit ones.

HTH.

singletrackmind

Schoeller C – Change . Their product to rival Gore- Tex .

Schoeller C-Change

But there are some other technologies also competing with Gore Tex, namely Schoeller C-Change out of Switzerland. This is also based on the same technology – a polymer membrane. The C-change story though is based on weather changes, as you heat up, the pores ‘open’ , enough for a water vapor, but not droplets. When you’re inactive, or if its cooler, the pores ‘close’ to keep heat in. This model is based on nature, for example a pinecone. As it sun hits it, it opens up, during cooler weather, it stays closed. Many have found this technology preferable over GORE-TEX as it tends to be more breathable, and offers stretch, for a more flexible comfortable fit. Schoeller C-change fabrics can be found with Mammut, Perfect Moment, and KJUS.

10k /10k rated . Whatever that means and DWR , snowskirt . We will see when it rocks up in a few days .

piemonster
    TheDTs
    Free Member

To be fair I may have been a bit hasty.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

10k/10k is low….

Sorry!

Does it look all of teh sexeh, though?

zyfy
    Free Member

im off to morocco at xmas…might check out theyre resort whilst im bimbling about…anyone been?

shifter
    Free Member

10k/10k is the best I’ve ever had. Cold blooded though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fruit booting is back!

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FDXfc80eXdU&ebc=ANyPxKqUSwpdiyhaiclQzdRcPkHEXI8mOTZcICFDKM6yezISo0KTR_g9P8N6Ohzy9lbku3jcqKubl3C5yq_t-VfvtgzAK59Hdg[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Experts, eh?

nbt

that still looks like Val d’Isere, Grand Pré piste. I’m going to have to watch the video now to check

nbt

Nope. Fierberbrunn.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Olympic sport in … Um …..

Rockape63
    Free Member

Found this web site recently…for all info on every ski resort.

Clicky

jambalaya
    Free Member

im off to morocco at xmas…might check out theyre resort whilst im bimbling about…anyone been?

We tried but couldn’t get up there as road was a total jam, first snow of the season (mid Jan) and it was the weekend. Had wanted to ski a few runs. Turned back half maybe 4km from resort, cars on way down said car park was full so no stopping anyway. Will dig out some photos, quite cool to see the white snow against the dusty red rock and the locals having fun throwing snowballs ! Definitely spend time in the mountains, beautiful and less of an attack on the senses (patience) that is Marrakech. Private car and driver is cheap, the slightiy cheesy touristy stop at a locals house for mint tea was surpringly wonderful, slight chill in the air looking over a valley with red mountains, a ribbon of green by the river and apple orchards.

hammerite
    Free Member

Fieberbrunn? I’ll be skiing there in two weeks time.

Are those boots just like… http://sleddogs.com they’re used on the celebrity death trap that is Channel 4’s The Jump. We went to a Crashed Ice race last year and they had a stall there, didn’t see anyone buy any.

legolam
    Free Member

Well, me and the bump (and the husband) are off to Tignes tomorrow and we can’t wait! Got a great deal on what looks like a fantastic chalet, so hopefully it works out fine.

Can I ask a quick question about skis? Despite having skied since I was 4, I have no idea about what sort of ski I need to ask for in the hire shop. I learned on long narrow skis (the last pair I owned were 185cm – I’m 165cm tall!) and have never quite got to grips with the “new” technology skis.

The only pair of hire skis that I’ve properly got on with were Salomon BBRs. All the others have felt unstable, like I can’t put much weight through them when turning. I pretty much ski exclusively on groomed pistes, and have tended to go late in the season in changeable conditions (although obviously am going early this year). I feel like most skis try to “knock” together when I’m turning on hard snow, and feel unstable at speed. The BBRs were great for doing long sweeping turns on the piste.

I’ve booked fairly high end skis at the local hire shop but, in my experience, there’s usually the chance to guide the shop-people to what I want. Any suggestions on what I should be saying to them?

nbt

Tell them what you’ve said above, basically. Your skis probalby fel like they’re “knocking” as you;re skiing old school with your knees and ankles as tight as possible – with the new style waisted skies (especially as you get fatter and fatter underfoot) you do need to widen your stance a bit so perhaps consider an hour or two with a private instructor to work on how you can adapt your technique

Stewart Woodward is a british ski instructor with the ESF in Tignes, he posts regularly on Snowheads (like STW for snowsports but a bit more well behaved – worth asking there too perhaps) and seems to be well regarded. He was very helpful when we had a chat with him in the bar one evening, though we didn’t get instruction on that trip

legolam
    Free Member

Cheers. Do you think there’s a particular property of the skis that I should be looking for (width/camber/rocker/length/weight) or do you think it’s mainly down to my 80s style of skiing?

Have thought about doing some private lessons in the past (last did an ESF lesson aged 14) but will probably give it a miss this year due to the pregnancy. Next year!

beanum

Well this is depressing. We’re going to a ski resort this weekend on a work jolly and we’ve only packed our hiking boots.. That’s a first for early December..

The webcam isn’t looking good…
    Villars Bretaye webcam

colp

Had 5 cheeky days in Maria Alm, most of the pistes are open and the conditions are ace really.
    Until yesterday I was the only snowboarder in the resort I think.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That is what is known as ‘millionaire’s snowboarding”

colp

Its amazing. It’s normally quiet (never any lift queues) but we’ve been the only people on almost every piste.

singletrackmind

Legolam
    Try Newgeneration ski in Tignes
    Way better than ESF IMO
    Had 3 x 3hrs private lessons with them and learnt alot
    Not cheap but better value than ESF

jambalaya
    Free Member

Beanum Villars wasn’t the greatest choice tbh for this early. Verbier (Les Chables) is an hours drive.

Legolam – you just want piste skis. As for 80’s style that will work but try and keep your feet a little further apart than you are used to and weight a bit more evenly balanced. Have fun, watched this today

Ça vous dit d'aller faire un tour avec Leo Taillefer ?

Posted by Val d'Isère on Thursday, December 8, 2016

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you think there’s a particular property of the skis that I should be looking for (width/camber/rocker/length/weight) or do you think it’s mainly down to my 80s style of skiing?

Your height and weight should come in to it a bit. For cruising the groomers, and having some fun, I’d be asking for something along the lines of these as a women’s ski;

Salomon Astra. Wide enough to cope with some floaty fun in the slack country, but still a nice carver. Obviously, you’re at the mercy of your hire shop, but if you’ve paid for a “premium” package (Well done!) you can try something, then head back in if it’s not quite right.

FWIW, I hire skis, and also use the shiny shiny option. Means I can play around with all sorts of stuff. My ski highlight last year was from Nordica, their NRG skis. The women’s version is called the Belle, and looks ACE! Nordica Spitfires are rocketship fast piste skis as well.

Oh, and BBRs? Erm….an acquired taste! I demoed them. They were rather fun, if a little compromised. Goodish on piste, and goodish off, but not really great at either. Also, I got bored of answering questions about them at every lift!

legolam
    Free Member

Thanks again everyone. I’m so excited, especially having watched that FB video! Hope the baby enjoys it too…

Oh, and BBRs? Erm….an acquired taste!

That’s what everyone I’ve spoken to says! But I really loved them – hired them for 3 years in a row. But I’ve no idea what I liked about them. I think I’ll just be a bit braver this year about going back to the shop and changing if I’m not getting on with the ski that they give me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think I’ll just be a bit braver this year about going back to the shop and changing if I’m not getting on with the ski that they give me.

Also good if the weather changes!

igm

Sorry about this colp

“I am the only tray in the village”

Just jealous

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“I am the only tray in the village”

igm

I apologise. Really. But I couldn’t resist the free shot at an open goal.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I have Nordica Wild Belles and they are lovely, responsive, easy to turn. Tend to chatter when you really try on piste but they are great in the fluffy stuff.
    I prefer them to the K2 lotta luvs I had before which were probably more piste biased than the wild belles.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just been looking as some webcams – where has all the snow gone? Grands Massif looks awful. I was planning a quick three days pre-Chrimbo

whatnobeer
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q27AFs]Whistler[/url] by Jamie Carson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Q27AFN]Piste[/url] by Jamie Carson, on Flickr

Been very cold in whistler the last week or so. Some stunning days for skiing and very quiet slopes. Only problem is I didn’t notice my toes freezing and I’ve given myself frostbite. No skiing for me for a good few days 🙁

geoffj

I’ve given myself frostbite

😯 ‘kinel

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pics!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Frostbite or Frostnip (less severe)? Either way take care. Sweamrs got frost nip in some toes a few years ago and it still causes her problems. Having said that -33C in Canmore this morning 😯 and she still went for a hike.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,934 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2016-2017 season’ is closed to new replies.