Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,058 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season

New toys.

That’s got it. New toys.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

we have Sainte Foy boooked with the family but i fancy an extra few days. ive been to Morzine/Les Gets quite a few times in Summer would like to go check it out in the winter again.

just out of interest, anyone skied the Pleney black DH run?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leggyblonde
    Free Member

CFH, seeing your posts on here over the years is one of the reasons I was drawn to Serre Che. The tourist board should put you on their payroll!

Digby

What’s a sensible budget for a trip to score some ridiculous pow?

I got asked along to to a Japan trip next year but sadly had to decline as I’m doing the Greenland thang.

The Japan trip looked pretty reasonable [also] with Black Diamond Tours but not much change from £3k for flights from Europe, 10 day accommodation, 7 day guiding & lift passes etc.

I know you were after self catering but I guess ‘lodge’ style’ trip avoids some of the language issues (unless any of your group speak Japanese of course!)

I really fancy a [snowboarding] trip to Japan before I get too old … another year maybe! 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thinking about getting some Burton Covert trousers. Does anybody have any experiance with them? I’m not particularly good so end up sitting on my arse quite a bit but I also run quite hot. I could do with some reasonable priced, quite waterproof, non insulated trousers and these seem to fit the bill.

Also wondering how the fit is and how hardwearing they are.

Thanks.

http://gb.burton.com/default/burton-covert-pant/W16-131391.html?cgid=mens-pants&start=25

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I_Ache – Not seen the covert pants, but I’ve found the Burton Cargo pants to be very good. Not much insulation, plenty of ventilation. Never get too hot in them.
    Loads of choices for size (I’ve got very long legs). Waterproof too. Picked mine up from ebay for £25, virtually new. They are a baggy fit though.

nedrapier

Digby, no idea who’d be in the group! It’s just getting to the stage where it’s an itch I’ll need to scratch. I’ll start with flights and go from there. Good point about the language.

Do you know which valley you’re heading into? Sodal?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks Paul.

I don’t have particularly long legs despite being 6ft. Baggy is good, I have a cyclists arse.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Must add that the cargo comes in different leg lengths. Obviously I got the long version. The regular will probably be fine (for normal sized people 😀 ).

nedrapier

Hmmm! Return flights for c. £530…

Digby

Do you know which valley you’re heading into? Sodal?

Not sure yet – course details say either Hans or Grete Glacier which [looking at Mapcarta for Greenland] is a fair bit further south than Store Sodal …

Hmmm! Return flights for c. £530…

Wow – that’s pretty reasonable (for comparison, this years flights to Calgary in January were £690).

Go on – scratch that itch! You know it makes sense! 🙂

TheDTs
    Free Member

Digby & Ned You Guys are giving me the itch, looking seriously at Greenland next season. Some of the expedition options look amazing.
    I need to get more touring experience this season before going to Greenland. Also need to be fitter than I am now..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

OK, looks like our only opportunity to play in the snow this season is going to be 26 Dec to 2 Jan.
    We’ve always defaulted to Austria or Italy but if we’re going to have to go so early in the season, I guess we’ll have to cast the net a bit wider (and go high).
    Any recommendations for that time of year? Either resorts in general or specific hotels/packages/companies, all welcome.

Looks like it’s going to be the two of us plus 17yo daughter.
    All competent intermediate skiers and will be taking our own gear.

Cheers

nedrapier

Also need to be fitter than I am now..

Happily, cycling is perfect for that! SS even more so – hauling on the bars gets some of the arm/back/core muscles as poleing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Quick PSA for anyone on the lookout for bargain gear. West beach are doing an up to 70% off last season’s stock. Some bargain slacks to be had if you’re into the plain-up-top-lary-down-bottom camp. 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Anyone interested in coming to one of these avalanche talks? I’m thinking of going to the one in London on 2nd NOvember

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/UK%20Autumn%20Tour

dashed
    Free Member

Booked on the one in Manc already – I missed it last year due to work but missus went and she said it was very good.

geoffj

Apologies again, but I’m now seriously looking at booking something for April 2016. By a quirk of fate, easter doesn’t fall in our Easter school holidays, so we can book something later.
    Any recommendations for resorts that will be OK late in the season, for families accessible from Geneva or Munich or Milan.
    All beginners / intermediates.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Henry’s Avalanche Talks are great. Did both last year, time well spent.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@geoff – resort choice best left late IMO (nothing will be sold out), just buy some cheap flights now for Geneva. Val Thorens is pretty soulless but as snow sure as any.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just thought I’d drop by to say I went snowboarding today. Nice fresh snow, sunshine, wee bit windy.

Bye! :mrgreen:

Muhahahaha!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I think we can all agree on one thing.

We all hate stevomcd right now.

🙂

nedrapier

yup. little bit!

As it’s clearly going to be mid 2018 before I manage to edit any of this down, here’s a couple of the best minutes of my March 2015:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuTlEftDbCI[/video]

geoffj

Thanks jambalaya – that’s a good plan.

Yip :mrgreen:

stevomcd
    Free Member

I wasn’t planning to go up again until the season proper starts (even Autumn day passes for Tignes are pretty expensive!) but my lack of photos from the day (was riding solo) and a subsequent discussion has laid down a challenge to the snowboarders out there – the Eurocarve Selfie.

Very simple. Lay down a full Eurocarve (in the snow from wrist to elbow!). Take a selfie with the other hand.

I might have to go back up just to try it.

piemonster

Yip

piemonster

Although I just booked my transfer and lift pass.

hammerite
    Free Member

Geoff – The day Easyjet released their late Winter/Spring flights I booked for Salzburg over Easter. Going to do as Jamabalaya suggests and book somewhere to stay closer to the time when we know what conditions should be like. Easter has always been pretty quiet.

toby1

Just thought I’d drop by to say I went snowboarding today. Nice fresh snow, sunshine, wee bit windy.

Hate is a strong word, but bloody hell am I envious!

I’m so excited but booked for Les Arcs 1950 on the 23rd Jan so counting down the days.

Need to find some free weekends to get onto an indoor slope to break the boots in a little too, so there is a chance of some ‘snow’ before then.

geoffj

Jambalaya & Hammerite – good thinking chaps.
    Late season flights to Malpensa just booked.
    I like the look of Breuil-Cervinia, but will decide on the resort nearer the time. 😀

piemonster

I’m so excited but booked for Les Arcs 1950 on the 23rd Jan so counting down the days.

Guess I’ll see you there then 😀

Digby

here’s a couple of the best minutes of my March 2015:

very nice nedrapier … very nice! 🙂

the Eurocarve Selfie

… lol … what a splendid idea!

bluebird
    Free Member

Late season flights to Malpensa just booked.
    I like the look of Breuil-Cervinia

It’s also worth having a look at Sauze d’Oulx – the riding is a bit more varied than Cervinia and you can link into Sestriere.

wallop

So this is the Eurocarve? 😆

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yep, that’s it. Not everyone puts their front arm down though – more stylish to have it held out. And take a selfie.

Mate of mine has even got the heelside on lock:

Heelside is HARD.

nedrapier

sort of like this?

nedrapier

The most crucial part is to make sure the bobble remains centred in the shot.

nailed it.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Can’t decide if it’s your board or your face that’s in contact with the snow in the second one Ned!

I was thinking more front hand, aiming back, smile for the camera, but that angle works too!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Fantastic video here, unfortunately I don’t think you can direct link it?

Overheard in French Ski Resorts

"You've got to schuss this bit Margaret; you've got to schuss it!" Tag someone you recognise in – 'Overheard in French Ski Resorts'Press HD in the corner for the full resolution version…Go through to thefrenchpisteproject.com for more happenings in French resorts! 'Overheard in French Ski Resorts' was created and produced by All Conditions Media for French Mountains. Edited and filmed by Johno Verity and starring:Tof HenryLea LavigneMarcos PetersRosa HigginDan MilnerJoe PepperHelen LavenderCharlie PriestlyAdditional cameras by @ChrisMoran with cameo by Harry Moran (as Julian). Filmed on location in Méribel, Coeur des 3 Vallées (Official), Val Thorens, Morzine, Avoriaz & Chamonix.

Posted by French Mountains on Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 2,058 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2015-2016 season’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts