• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • Kahurangi

nbt – looks v nice! That chute actually looks like something I could handle… so long as it’s not as steep as it looks in that penultimate pic!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ed, staying at Lofoten Ski Lodge
    http://www.lofotenskilodge.com/

driving down from Tromso with a warm up day at Narvik resort then 9 days touring on Loften – should be amazing 8)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I want to go to Lofoten, how do I go to Lofoten , why can’t I got to Lofoton? Man that looks good. Are you doing any splitting?

I love the video and I especially love the bit where the guy goes for a high five and is left hanging! Ha! At 07:32

nedrapier

Should be amazing

I think it should, yes! The best thing about touring in places like that is that the whole experience is so fantastic (properly fantastic, as in: like a fanstasy!), that it’s going to be an incredible trip if the snow’s not that great. Pow would be the cherry on top!

Had a spin through the site: £1,500 isn’t too bad for a week’s full board and 6 days guiding.

Love the sauna with stairs to the sea. That got me more excited than the snow! Loads of places to ski, but not many saunas with steps to the sea and a white sand beach…

nedrapier

You’re flying from Gatwick with Norwegian I’m guessing?

I’m sure you are, but if not, check it out – cheap and quick.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ed, yes looks like a great place. We are just using the lodge and taking out one of our regular guides (Si Christie) who has done several trips up there before.

Norwegian Gatwick – Tromso makes it very easy…

hmm maybe a hovercraft split needed for this trip 💡

nedrapier

How much is it accomm only? I couldn’t find that on the site.

Looking at Lofoten or Lyngen in the 1st week of march. no midnight sun, but days aren’t too short, and there’s a full moon, high in the sky that week…

What’s your current split?

freeridenick
    Free Member

Not sure on the accommodation only as Simon is sorting it all for us. They may only offer this to visiting guides (not sure) with groups. Probably worth emailing them

Got a Jones Flagship and voile mojo split –
    mojo is rather old now and fancied a hover for ages.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://www.dpsskis.com/en/lotus-120-spoon-386.html

Saw some skis from this lot in Montana earlier this week. Delicious!

Got to love a bit of “increased slarvability”, eh?

Digby

hmm maybe a hovercraft split

I rode with a guy earlier this year who was rockin’ an Ultracraft – the thing weighed absolutely nothing, but by his own admission was probably a bit too light and sketchy for him.

I tried a Hovercraft (non-split version) for a day last year and was really impressed by it – it was Sooooo much fun to ride!

I think the current Hovercraft split only goes up to 160 though so might be a tad small (even though it ‘rides big’) if you are a heavy-ish rider (or carrying a ton of backcountry kit) – I ride the 168W Solution and 164w Flagship (85Kg without kit)

freeridenick
    Free Member

Digby

yes got a 163w flagship, but only 75kg naked.. they say you can ride the hover quite short, thats kind of the point of it as surface area pretty big – i reckon could get away with the 156, same surface area as a 175 normal apparently.

i find the 163w a touch to slow edge to edge. I am size 10 feet so kind of borderline on having a wide board.

won’t need glacier gear up in lofoten so pack should be fairly light..

freeridenick
    Free Member

oh and my mate has just offered me his nearly new one for 250 quid! 😛

Duane…
    Free Member

Booked onto my uni ski trip to Tignes in January – stoked!
    Going on the alumni trip – same time and place as main uni trip, but with the option to upgrade to flights, and 4* accommodation.

Sorted!

wallop

Saalbach. Anyone been? Still lining up options for Christmas week and it seems like it’s a resort with plenty of atmosphere. Apparently there is good snowmaking for when the dumps don’t show.

fasthaggis

Hello all.
    Any suggestions on Ski holiday insurance?
    It’s for a student going on a Uni ski trip (Europe).
    Thanks

bluebird
    Free Member

Off to Lofoten for 10 days snowboard mountaineering in April

That place looks amazing. Please post a review after you’ve been.

GrahamS

MrsGrahamS has just suggested that I go off for a 2-week trip to Canada this season with the boys so I can do some cat-skiing (well “cat-boarding”) for my 40th 😆

I’ve reluctantly agreed.

Now to waste the rest of the dayweek browsing Canadian cat-skiing operations and drooling a lot…

Digby

oh and my mate has just offered me his nearly new one for 250 quid!

You clearly have nice mates! 😛

I’m determined to try and lighten my pack this coming season – and hopefully drop a few Kg myself.

I’ve watched that Lofoten video twice now … Wow!

Digby

Now to waste the rest of the dayweek browsing Canadian cat-skiing operations and drooling a lot…

Fernie Wilderness Adventures & Island Lake Lodge are definitely both worth considering.

From memory I think you’ve been with FWA for a day haven’t you Graham?

Baldface lodge in Nelson also gets good reviews.

Like many of these things tho’ the secret seems to be having a group with similar abilities and tastes so you don’t have to compromise.

GrahamS

Cheers Digby. I’ve been to Fernie, but we didn’t do FWA. Should have, but we were less experienced then so wouldn’t have got much from it.

We’re side-country riders really, we’re looking for our first proper backcountry experiences – that don’t involve doing any splitboarding (because I can’t ski) or hiking for miles (because I’m fat). Hence why we’re looking at cat-based stuff. (Heli would be nice but waaaaaay too pricey)

freeridenick
    Free Member

Valhalla powder cats are very good. got onto some good terrain with them.

Digby, Hover is now mine 😛 just need some spark magnetos now..

Digby

FWA is easier on the pocket – Island Lake Lodge (setup/co-owned by Craig Kelly) is luxury accommodation/fine dining. (a friend of mine has driven the cat at both!)

Heli not so popular in the Rocky Mountains anyway as the weather system would probably mean too many down-days, whereas a cat-ski operation can run in any conditions – with loads of areas below the tree-line for low-vis/white-out conditions!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

wallop – Member

Saalbach. Anyone been? Still lining up options for Christmas week and it seems like it’s a resort with plenty of atmosphere. Apparently there is good snowmaking for when the dumps don’t show.

I went last year, snow was awful. Very warm. I could see the resort had potential but i personally didnt like that you had to go down into town to swap sides. others loved it as you can take lunchj in town and head up again.

Digby

just need some spark magnetos now..

Be very interested to know how you get on with the Magnetos … especially the ‘clog-free’ claims.

bluebird
    Free Member

Be very interested to know how you get on with the Magnetos … especially the ‘clog-free’ claims.

Me too, wondering wether to upgrade the baseplates on my Burners.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Graham S
    +1 Valhalla and their sister operation Snowwater Heli.
    Not far from Red Mountain and Nelson,
    Do a day of heli it’s worth every hard earned penny.
    I will return, one day.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Just to make it easier for you.

Heli

bluebird
    Free Member

Had a good day with these guys – http://powdermountaincatskiing.com

And another vote for these – http://fwapowder.com

I’d also recommend Revelstoke, we only rode in bounds but the riding is incredible. I’d love to go cat skiing there. Baldface is on the want to do list. Bella Coola also gets a lot of rave reviews.

I’ve been heliskiing once in Whistler. For me although being in a helicopter was ace, the riding was no better that cat skiing. But then I like trees, if you prefer big open bowls then heli is for you.

nedrapier

Bella Coola does look ace!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzbJjL7ZfMQ[/video]

Digby

I have to say that Snowwater Heli setup looks pretty darn sweet! Love the idea of a Snowcat backup so there’s no ‘down days’! 8)

approx £2,400 for a 3 day all inclusive heli looks pretty good value (when compared with similar Alaska/Russia type trips)

plumber
    Free Member

Head to Whitefish Montana

CHEAPERBETTERNOREAWESOMETHANCANADA

and great cat skiing too

I been to pretty much all the canadia resorts and none of them touch whitefish

I’ll mention 1 dollar beers just because

TheDTs
    Free Member

Snowwater is brilliant, I’ve been three times and it has got better and better.
    When I first went, it was quite basic, rough and ready, the last visit was a much more upmarket experience. The skiing was brilliant each time, the best bit was being there during filming for a snowboard movie. The way the groups worked out, I ended up in the chopper with the Pro Boarders and the guide, they did their thing I skied with the guide/owner. At one point they had the door taken off the chopper for filming. Epic day out, which I will never forget.

GrahamS

approx £2,400 for a 3 day all inclusive heli looks pretty good value

I’m sure it is in relative terms, but sadly my missus only gave me permission to go to Canada.

I think she’d draw the line at selling the children or robbing a post office before I go.

😀

Bunnyhop

Saalbach. Anyone been?

Wallop – we went in March. Snow was o.k first thing in the morning, then a slush fest after noon.

Great apres ski (as in most Austrian resorts).

Plenty of skiing in both areas. I’ve been a few times now and enjoyed it.

Digby

I’m sure it is in relative terms, but sadly my missus only gave me permission to go to Canada

In which case FWA is probably more appropriate as lots of Post Offices have closed over the past few years … 😉

GrahamS

How do you rate FWA Digby?

My boarding buddy has a workmate who who lived out in Fernie for a year and he reckoned the FWA terrain was a bit “flat”.

But then I’ll be 40 and not exactly looking for cliff drops so maybe that’s a good thing?

I think what we are after is a “normal” 2-week Canadian (or similar) boarding holiday with a bit of guiding and a day or two cat-boarding on the side. Does that make sense?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Graham, TBF it was quite a while ago the exchange rate with the cad dollar was much more in our favour and it was pre wife and kids. Also the tax and cost on flights has jumped quite a bit since then.

Digby

I really really enjoyed FWA. I think they have access to similar elevation to Island Lake, but perhaps not as steep or varied

For sure there is some mellow terrain in the area they operate, but there’s also some steep stuff and some optional cliff drops if you want!

As I mentioned earlier, to get the best out of things like this it’s an advantage if everyone is riding/skiing at a similar level as they will tend to steer the choice of terrain towards the technically ‘weaker’ folks – which can sometimes be an issue with ‘Public’ groups

The advantage with FWA is it can be a ‘bonus’ / ‘value-add’ day out to your resort based trip as opposed to an ‘all-inclusive package’ inc accommodation at the like of Island Lake Lodge (2 day only options are available, but they tend to be limited availability and only during early & late season)

I don’t think you would be disappointed with FWA. Like most of these things you get out what you put in – as long as your expectations aren’t set unrealistically high!

Sounds like a great idea for a 40th! (you spring chicken!!) 8)

wallop

howsyourdad1 & Bunnyhop – cheers for the heads up. Will perhaps only go if the snow turns up before Christmas… 😆

Spin
    Free Member

Dang nabbit! Waited too long and flights from Scottish airports to Geneva over new year are now £500 plus. Each.

Nothing for it but to look for a last minute deal. Does this work for folks?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.