• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • TheDTs
    Free Member

+1 Bunnyhop. but when at Whitewater BC, there was very little notice being taken of any ropes or areas. Complete powder day free-for-all 🙂

nbt

Martin Bell lives and skis in Big Sky. I’d go there (cos Bunnyhop would *kill* for the chance to meet Martin Bell)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Similar DT but not quite. Love the old racing pants though. Sad that they don’t exist anymore!!!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I had and F-150 when we went powder hunting for 6 weeks in Canada. I cried when I gave that truck back. We had an emotional donut session with the 4wd switched off in the car park at Kicking Horse

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Come on Whistler – not this year. Please not this year!

When are you arriving? It’s been a bit grim the last week, slushy at the bottom, icy in the middle and off piste. The alpine groomers were ok though. There’s snow forecast for the weekend and the freezing level is back to a more appropriate level. It’s still very warm though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hope you get some snow Gee2DaEss! Sounds a bit worse than when mrs deadly and I went back in 08 (that was our last snow holiday!!) – boarding in rain was not fun. 😐

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

45cm of new snow in La Plagne, first decent dump of the season 😯

Might actually getting to depths now where it’s worth while going off piste 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

anything in boundary is for the taking.

Woop woop woop!

Already started the webcam obsession, looks lovely.

GrahamS

When are you arriving?

Not till 7th of March, so it has a good few weeks to get its act together yet, but I will admit I’m starting to get a little worried.

boarding in rain was not fun.

Aye. It’s a long way to go for conditions you can get in Scotland. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bit of time to improve then. I have noticed a severe lack of emails from Whistler-Blackcomb this year bleating on about the fifteen metres of snow they’ve had though. Are there any options to go further inland once you get there?

surfer
    Free Member

45cm of new snow in La Plagne

Did a boys trip to La Plagne last year. It is a great area.

1/2 a sleep to go 😀

slowoldman

Stick “Pif monoski” into youtube and press search

😯

Actually the search also pulled up a video of the Gervasutti Couloir. 😯 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where are you going surfer?

surfer
    Free Member

Ishgl 😀

GrahamS

Bless you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Digby

Still no new snow in Fernie [although flurries are forecast for the weekend]

The Ski Hill was pretty icy yesterday, (the noise is giving me earache!) so as a change of pace we’re thinking of hiring Fat Bikes today to explore some of Fernie’s Mountain Bike Trails (which have been groomed apparently – which is nice)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ishgl

Bless you.

😆 Made I laugh!!

Anyway, I’ll email ski patrol in Aaaaaachoo to warn them about that jacket. 😛 (EDIT: have a great toime.)

In other news, Mrs DD, dd and I are going for our first snowy holiday in SIX frickin’ years!!!! Woop woop!! All booked and paid for!! Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Excellent news, DD!

Looks like I might get almost a whole week on the snow in Montana now. Recent webcam here…..CORRRRR DU ROY!

nbt

have a great trip!

dab

Monoskis are no longer the tool of the one piece brigade

There’s been a huge resurgence, especially in the Southern Alps
    Serrre chevalier – la grave – les 2 aloes

Check out http://www.swellpanik.com and you’ll see why !!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s been a huge resurgence, especially in the Southern Alps
    Serrre chevalier – la grave – les 2 aloes

In the last two years, I assume? I’ve never seen a mono in Serre Che and have been skiing there for ages (Bar the last couple of years enforced absence!)

igm

Just ordered a Berghaus Antelao goretex pro jacket. See if it’s any good – if not it can go back.

piemonster

Well that’s me packed for Norway.

I’m so looking forward to this I might just spin round in a circle an wet myself like an over excited puppy.

piemonster

I’m also interested in any feedback on Big Sky, is there owt nearby that would be workable as a two week trip in different resorts?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cool where are you going in Norway again?

piemonster

Trysil

First diy trip as well, ditched the classes in favour of private instruction. Quite interested in how they compare tbh.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Oh nice I’m going there in three weeks . They’ve had serious snow 😀 have a good one !

Edukator
    Free Member

No skiing for me this weekend, far too much snow.

piemonster

Wonder how much the ground Will get bollocked for “denting” the aircraft and cancelling the flight

Edukator
    Free Member

I wonder if those out there off-piste with avalanche risk 5/5 would go for a swim in a shark infested lagoon with the shark flags raised.

piemonster

Hell No

Unless others where doing it, then it’s be safe.

piemonster

One cancelled flight, the second delayed. Two busses missed so far. I’m hopeful of being in the apartment before 1.30AM

stevomcd
    Free Member

The current posted risk throughout the French Alps is 4 or 3, not 5.

You can have a great time skiing/riding off piste in high avalanche risk conditions simply by sticking to shallower gradients – below 30° is generally safe in European Alps conditions.

Getting on steep, backcountry pitches at the moment would be very, very foolish indeed, especially at high altitude where the wind loading and depth hoar issues are most pronounced.

Edukator
    Free Member

Pyrenees

Edit: 30° isn’t safe if there is steeper above you.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Fair enough, does look gnarly down there! Might be heading down to Peyragudes for a race in March.

Edukator
    Free Member

Snowboardcross?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

The Jump is on.

I am cooking dinner, but I can hear the missus cackling to herself in the lounge. 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stevo not sure about that, the latest dump came with wind, can leave very unstable slabs.

I’ve set avalanches off on very shallow slopes, angle of slope is less of an indicator IMO than previous snow condition, and how the last snow has fallen

Edukator
    Free Member

Checking confirms 30° is in fact right in the middle of the most dangerous angle range. The risk starts at around 25° and drops beyond 38° as the slopes are too steep to hold snow – though there again it depends on the characteristics of the snow.

TF1 has just reported an avalanche have damaged three lifts in Gourette. Seems like my decision to stay on the plain was a good one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.