• This topic has 1,994 replies, 143 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,995 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season
  • toby1

Black jacket. Lairy loud trousers.

It’s in the rules.

Balls, I’ve got a lairy Blue/Aqua jacket and black trous, still I may spend a fair amount of time upside down so it’ll all pan out!

I’m not traveling till Saturday so have 2 days left of work after this and all I’ve been able to do is check snow reports and details of the resort all day long. ROLL ON THE WEEKEND!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Look at what I just found hidden away! Old school awesome, or nu skool enduro-fluo?

Digby

Black helmet, black goggles (usually the blueish lens), black gloves, black bindings

Black Jacket, Black Merinos, Black Pants and Black boots here …

If I had any hair left I’d be using “Goth Juice… the most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith”

8)

Today hopefully sees the end of a record breaking warm spell here in B.C. – so much so that many of the local cat-ski Ops are closing down for the next week as everying has turned to ice. Supposed to be some more snow on its way towards the weekend, but it will take some huge dumps to get conditions back to normal – still … it’s better than working! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Anyone in Whistler who wants to appear in a snowboard tutorial video? Got this email today :

Welcome to Snowboard Addiction

Hey,

Sorry for the late notice. We’re filming tutorials tomorrow (January 29th) at Whistler Blackcomb and would love to have our customers as examples. Meet outside the roundhouse for 9, learn how to ride down our icy conditions, break for lunch and film more in the afternoon, maybe some basic park stuff.

Just show up outside the roundhouse for 9AM (I’ll be wearing blue pants and a black jacket). Btw, check out our last ride day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obkipLQW2SU

Stoked to ride with you
    – Nev

They make really good videos so some free tuition of some very very good riders. Stoked!

bombjack
    Free Member

Look at what I just found hidden away! Old school awesome, or nu skool enduro-fluo?

Dude! C&A finest.
    Deffo old school awesome. You’ll need a monoski and an unasuit with those badboys.
    FWIW I had a very similar pair with fluro orange frames!

GrahamS

Well me new Bonfire pants arrived. Not quite as bright red as the photos, I think they look pretty good. Seem like nice quality. They are proper old skool baggy though so that’ll take some getting used to.

Yep, proper old skool, needs to be paired with a fluoro onesie fartbag for maximum ironic effect.

Welcome to Snowboard Addiction

I’ve watched a few of their videos on YouTube. A lot of them are a bit crap, but there is the odd bit of good info.

Today hopefully sees the end of a record breaking warm spell here in B.C. – so much so that many of the local cat-ski Ops are closing down for the next week as everying has turned to ice.

Come on Whistler – not this year. Please not this year! 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bombjack, when I last wore them skiing, pretty sure I was in a onesie!

Oh, and monoskis were still cool! Still are, I reckon, in an old school retro way.

Right, has anyone skied Bridger Bowl or Big Sky in Montana? Might be able to tack a weekend of skiing on to a work trip coming soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

CFH old school awesome. It was part of my 50 things for my 50th to get my Salomon GS skis with the orange bottoms out and do a day on them, sadly injury scuppered that for that year but it’s still on the list. My “onesie” went to the bin and I’m still gutted I left my SX91 Equipes behind at chalet and a mate forgot to bring them. 1994 Lilehammer commemorative Dale Nordic sweater had an outing this year although too warm to wear it much. I could be on a “hoarder” show 😳

GrahamS

Oh, and monoskis were still cool!

Objection. Monoskis have never been cool.

If you want to snowboard then face sideways like a normal person 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Memories, memories

C&A ski stuff – go rodeo, my low point was a blue and pink outfit (mid 80s)
    Killy stuff – when it was the pinnacle (80s again!)
    Monoskiing off the Cme de Carron (V Thorens) slightly pissed in a white out
    Blizzard and Atomic arc’s in 203s

slowoldman

Objection. Monoskis have never been cool.

Oh yes they have. Just not when I tried it. For some reason I had great difficulty turning left, which led to some interesting pirouettes off the top of the chair lifts.

I too started with Rodeo and was then taken by some mad women on a shopping trip in La Norma where I ended up with some uber cool (cooler than me) Patrick Vallencant gear.

I then got a rather lovely Millet jacket in Chamonix – very fetching in lime green, yellow and black. Standing around one day some bloke skied up and said “Ah an Englishman”. “Eh?” said I, being non committal. He pointed at the jacket label and said “Millets”. I gave him my best withering glance and left.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Great story SOM!!!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Great story SOM!!!

Indeed….made me lol! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

SOM I admite your strength of character to even share such a story 😉

Had some of my worst bruises from monoskiing – not something to do on harder icy slopes. No surprise they didn’t catch on.

igm

Monoskiers – wannabe snowboarders, to be view in the same category as snowblade types

😉

TheDTs
    Free Member

I saw a MonoSkier last week, first for ages. It still looks uncomfortable.

Also started in c&A Rodeo gear, a red, white and blue rip off of a Killy jacket.
    I did think I was the business even though my sister had the same jacket, and I had to have hers when I grew out of mine. (As with all our stuff when were kids)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TheDTs – might have been the same (great) jacket. Got me on the front cover of a mark warner brochure wearing it – the jump was pretty good too. Sad to say, I still have the brochure !!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Monos were awesome as long as you stayed on the fall-line. Any hint of a traverse and …uh, uh!!!!

bombjack
    Free Member

Monoskiers – wannabe snowboarders, to be view in the same category as snowblade types

Never! Even as a former skier, turned snowboarder I’d love to try a monoski in powder. But then I’d also like a proper carving / GS race board with hardboots and an icy piste to play with.
    Bladers on the other hand…
    Grrrrr.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Got me on the front cover of a mark warner brochure wearing it – the jump was pretty good too. Sad to say, I still have the brochure !!!

POIDH! Scan it now!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am not sad enough to carry it with me!!

It’s not on google image either!!

It was a good picture and only one take. Five of us dropping off a lip in val d’isere

TheDTs
    Free Member

My Mum & Dad have a picture of me in mine, TeamHurtmore, I’ll show mine if you show yours..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s up at my mums house so may take a while. Tried google for 15 mins over lunch. That was sad enough.

1980s – reminds me of another horror – bumbags!!! And a Look blue white and green version. Still have that in an attic too along with my 203 kastle slalom planks!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We’re patient people, THM. We’ll wait for you to scan it.

You’ve got until the last day of the season at Val d’Isere.
    🙂

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yep, had a Look bum bag too. Mondrian inspired.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wait for the Bladon Lines (bleeding liars! after one trip) version, Captain!!!

Remember their parrot outfits!!!!

TheDTs
    Free Member

And their Coaches, massive parrot on the sides, 20 hour coach to the alps for a weeks skiing. I pitty the sods who had to sit near our group/family. It’s bad enough on easy jet. But hey, rather that than not go at all.

2tyred

Rubbish!

Nothing in life says “I’m French and I don’t give a f–k” more than a monoskier.

Thus, they are cool.

igm

Minority of one – and I don’t care.

Therefore by 2tyred logic >>>> 8)

(Reality says otherwise)

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s up at my mums house so may take a while. Tried google for 15 mins over lunch. That was sad enough.

I misunderstood THM…I thought THAT pic was the one you were talking about. I was impressed! (not with the outfit mind!)

Bunnyhop

Haha bum bags, or fanny bags as the merkins call them (childishly makes me giggle).

I remember skiing in the 80’s and this girl I knew was in front of me on a ‘T’ bar, got her bum bag caught. At the end when she needed to hop off, it took her way up into the air. Luckily she hit the ‘stop, safety’ bar and was left dangling. Her boyfriend unclipped, climbed a high bank of snow and unhooked her.
    We were left on the steep bit for ages waiting for the tow to get moving again. Needless to say I’ve never worn one since. Once I knew she was o.k I laughed for ages.

nedrapier

Monoskiers…

Stick “Pif monoski” into youtube and press search.

Edukator
    Free Member

One of the nice things about tire-fesses is that you can just ski away when they grind to a halt rather than wait to be rope rescued. You stay warmer when skiing on cold days and it’s the only thing that runs on really windy days. The good ones are really fast, there’s one here that nearly keeps up with the latest six seater that runs above it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Because it may have got lost in all this monomania,

Has anyone skied either Bridger Bowl or Big Sky in Montana?

stevomcd
    Free Member

A lot of them are a bit crap

Strongly disagree with that! Snowboard Addiction are excellent. Remember that the videos on YouTube are generally just the intro to the topic and they are cut short before the real meat of the video starts. If you’re at all interested in developing your freestyle riding, I’d highly recommend buying some of their videos.

The general riding stuff is a bit lightweight compared to the freestyle stuff, but it’s still very good.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah agreed the tutorials are really good . The tame dog one and the buttering ones are fantastic

TheDTs
    Free Member

THM Like this?

[/url]Dan&Martha by TheDTs2011, on Flickr[/img]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Think I may have decided which to go for…

Big Sky is MASSIVE, really massive, and looks awesome, but is a bit further away from where I’m going to be staying. So, I reckon this has a couple of days worth of fun in it, Bridger Bowl;

20mins drive from the hotel. (Am going to try and hire a F150!)

What’s the score with the US and access? If it’s inside the ski zone is it all fair game? As in, slack country between pistes, and/or in the tree lines?

Bunnyhop

Sorry Flashy, not skied either of those.
    Ask over on snowheads 🙂

Edit – yes, same as Canada, anything in boundary is for the taking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,995 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2014-2015 season’ is closed to new replies.