Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,486 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season
  • andytherocketeer

which bit of the Alps?

ca. €70 each way I think for French Alps, but potentially less than €10 for Austrian Alps (depending where, exactly). edit: actually some could even be toll free.

shifter
    Free Member

I meant les French ones – thanks for that Andy.

nedrapier

shifter – via michelin is a good site for route planning, and gives toll and rough fuel costs.

shifter
    Free Member

Cheers Ned, Michelin reckon 65 quid each way.

Hi I’m looking at getting a new wind shell for under my instructor jacket, something not too bulky but good at stopping the wind. Was thinking something like this.

Anybody have any experience of it? Or recommendations? Thanks.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

What temps you working in 10?? The north face down jacket works a treat under mine but only if it goes below -15 or so.

Probably around that kind of temp. I have had a few days over the past couple of seasons where wind chill gets down close to -50, but that’s thankfully not the norm! More likely low of -20 during midwinter. The idea for this jacket is not to be too warm in itself but to reduce wind without being too bulky so during the middle of the day I can stow it in my pocket.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to take it off at all once you have it on, the good quality ones like my north face one are quite breathable and I don’t tend to over heat in it ever.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some more ski-pron to brighten a grey Monday morning…

http://www.ripnwud.com/html/design_gallery_0.html

GrahamS

Like those Flashy.

Not a skierist, but a sucker for anything where you can see the wood grain.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a skierist, but a sucker for anything where you can see the wood grain.

Likewise, I’m not a boarderist, but I do love a bit of Arbor woodgrain board action!

Bunnyhop

The Russians will be snapping that/those up.

wallop

Coming to a Courchevalski near you.

TheDTs
    Free Member

And the goggles are extra!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Saw the Snow and Rock “premium” kit email, £1,200 for a jacket, nuts.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Ski movie season has started.

Into The Mind is on iTunes.

Unfortunately, it’s not very good. I know these kind of films are hard to make original, but this looks like an hour long promo for HD cameras, intercut with footage that wouldn’t be out of place in an insurance advert, some sort of ‘it’s spiritual, maaan’ storyline and the odd bit of skiing (generally dull slow motion pillow lines/powder face shot).

Hopefully TGR and MSP can come up trumps.

nedrapier

and absinthe

Edit: trailer for Dopamine. couple of cool things in there that I’d like to see more of. God, it’s depressing to think that you’re looking at some of the best bits of months and months and months of work from some of the the most talented people in the world, and you think “meh…” Tough gig!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnPd5aDId8c#t=13[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

some of the best bits of months and months and months of work from some of the the most talented people in the world, and you think “meh…” Tough gig!

But then, every now and then, something like this comes along….
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-VCWUtNm-4[/video]

bazzer
    Free Member

Not long to wait now

Off to Val D’Isere for the opening weekend Go on 29th November for the 30th opening.

Hope its as good as last year 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

So I got offered full time instructing work at Mt Seymour over in Canada! I know it might seem a bit lame compared to whistler where I’ve spent a season but should still be sweet as there doesn’t seem to be many jobs going in the Alps.

Now the question of do I take it or not? 😛

sprootlet
    Free Member

^^^^^ Would be better than sitting in the grey UK if no Alps jobs come up! 🙂

greggparker9
    Free Member

So I got offered full time instructing work at Mt Seymour over in Canada

Michael, Seymour is a cool little hill especially if you’re in to park. The ski school boss Johny (IIRC) is a super nice guy.

I work at Cypress and will be heading out at the end of November. If you want any advice on accommodation or transport etc. just give me a shout (email in profile is probably the fastest way to get in touch!).

Good luck, Gregg

I_Ache
    Free Member

I love that video flashy but I cant help feeling sorry for the poor skis.

hot_fiat

There’s a sequel to the street scene from All I Can:

[video]http://vimeo.com/62090537[/video]

Got our holiday all booked,: Road trip to Mayrhofen, this time with our latest addition who seems keen already:

michaelmcc
    Free Member

On the movies front, Eye Trip from two seasons ago is still my fav, don’t see any movie topping that IMO!! Sunny was amazing too but I got bored of it quicker….

And cheers greg will do!! Might pick your brains a bit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can’t help feeling sorry for the poor skis.

😀

Given the abuse he’s likely to have given them all year up to that point, I reckon going out like that is a fitting tribute!

nedrapier

This has made me smile. I would never in a million years buy one, but I quite like the fact that it exists:

The Firebird 2L One Piece 13/14 from Adidas Snowboarding
    10,000mm/10,000gm waterproof/breathable 2 layer full dull dobby weave
    Fully taped seams
    Odor-reducing brushed tricot chinsaver, inner waist band, zip fly and hand warmer pockets
    Recco® avalanche recovery system
    2-way center front zipper
    2-way zip underarm and 1-way side leg ventilation with recycled mesh

Tom-B
    Free Member

Im at an Addidas launch thing at Chill Factore tonight…by god the kit looks awful!

shifter
    Free Member

Agreed, but the boots look nice!

nedrapier

And while we’re on world-class shredflick sections, here’s an absolute banger from Terje Haakonsen, 2003. Wall to wall style, class and poise.

skip the first 30 seconds to avoid the bro-brah spaffing about how great he is.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viznc0h6BQg[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If Run DMC made snowboarderist clothes…! 🙂

nedrapier

Or adidas even!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yep those boots look very nice-they’d sold quite a few pairs of them today in Subvert….175 quid so not a bad price either.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Like snowboard kit for chavs. Do chavs even snowboard though? :S

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do chavs even snowboard though?

Can open, worms all over the place.

wallop

😆

Spin
    Free Member

Must be winter soon, the Sport Conrad catalogue arrived yesterday.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Tahoe. March. Stoked.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Nice Ollie.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,486 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season’ is closed to new replies.