Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,486 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season
  • igm

Cpt – and I quote…

Others may suggest, however, that snowboarders are simply a more relaxed crowd and so have a tendency to underplay their answers when being questioned about their sport on the slopes.

Stop being so uptight skier-boy 8)

Duane – it’s as good as the O’Neill stuff I had previously. They do an 8k, 10k and 20k range. The 10 works for me, particularly as it tends to have vent zips. I also like less insulated kit in general as I can always stick an extra fleece under if it’s cold, but you can’t take insulation out on the hot days.

bluebird
    Free Member

The researchers questioned 279 people at three different ski resorts in South Korea about how their sport made them feel.

So, it’s based on a small sample in South Korea? Well, it must be true.

I will be having more fun than any of you on both a snowboard and skis (but not at the same time), fact. Survey of one, conducted at my desk 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thought that would raise a few hackles! And banter!

Anyway, how about some pictures?

Seth M, dropping in

nedrapier

mmmmm

nedrapier

cobrakai, during a 7 hour wait at Geneva, we came up with:

C’est combien le chien dans la vitrine?
    Lequel avec la queue remuant.
    C’est combien le chien dans la vitrine?
    J’espere que le chein soit a vendre.

singletrackmind

C’est combien le chien dans la fenetre innit?

nedrapier

But a “vitrine” is a shop window, rather than any other kind of window.

Has the advantage of scanning better too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Akshewally, une vitrine is une shop window, as any fule kno.

beanum

I didn’t know the word “remuant”…thanks!

After a quick look on WordReference, however, I think I prefer frétillant.. 🙂

nedrapier

Agreed! Sounds nicer and it’s more appropriate. Ta!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Verbier has been open 2 weekends now. Snow report shows pretty good conditions although Lac de Vaux still isnt frozen

[video]http://youtu.be/nACYbJ46LzI[/video]

beanum

I was in Verbier two Sundays ago and the snow was very good. It was easily possible to ski down to the village, but I assume everyone who did was using their “spare” skis or board…

Having said that, there hasn’t been much in the way of fresh snow since but it has been very cold..

Rockape63
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about Bormio in Italy? Its been put forward as an option for our boys trip early March.

nedrapier

Ho ho! Remember kids, you’re not Didier Cuche.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a10_1386010757

Rockape63
    Free Member

That is priceless!

Spin
    Free Member

Does anyone know anything about Bormio in Italy

Only been in summer. The town and area are really nice and the top station is at 3000m so should be reliable. It doesn’t seem to be particularly extensive though.

If it’s for a boys trip then consider Livigno (just over the hill). It is a tax free town so booze is mega cheap. From looking at it in summer Livigno didn’t seem to have a great variety of terrain but I could be wrong.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Serre Che have just announced a delay in opening until the 21st!

I can see why! Not much cover there!
    http://serrechevalier.livecam360.net/cucumelle

DezB
    Free Member

Wow, that 360deg cam goes beautifully with the violin music in my headphones!

DezB
    Free Member

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a10_1386010757

Utterly brilliant! (Although, good job no-one was sat on the coach!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Dez, they’ve done wonders with their webcams over recent years. There’s even, somewhere, some sort of ‘airship view’ of the whole area that’s awesome to zoom in /out on.

Last few times I’ve been, I’ve arranged to be at the top of the Cucumelle at a certain time of day and given a wave to the camera! Rather fun for people to be able to look it up!

shifter
    Free Member

Thanks for that Flash/not. I go a week later 🙁

<does snow dance>

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shifter, fingers crossed for you!

They’ve got good cannons set up around the mountain, http://plandespistes.serre-chevalier.com/ Click on Zone de Fabrication de neige on the control panel. Other than that, will be praying to the Snow Gods for you!

I’ve skied Serre Che in early, mid and late season and have never once had a bad time there! OK, so late season it can get too hot (Seriously!) and it’s usually best to download at the end of the day rather than fight the slushfest the Alphand becomes, but other than that, it’s always been great! Am sure you’ll have fun…

Remember, be sure to try the sugar cubes at Le Bercail (At Aravet lift area) after lunch…..

GrahamS

Love it 😆

Serre Che have just announced a delay in opening until the 21st!
    I can see why! Not much cover there!

Jasna (Slovakia) is open already with early snow. 😀
    (glitchy) webcams here if anyone wants to take a peak:
    http://www.jasna.sk/en/mountains-and-holiday/webcameras/

(Though they don’t cover the freeride and tree-run areas, which are the real reason I go there :))

shifter
    Free Member

I see it’s 10 degrees and sunny at Serre Chev tomorrow, might have to rent a bike!

As long as Piou Piou and a bar is open I’ll be happy 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Hello all.

Long time no visit, as a result of practically working 14 hour days for the past couple of months (trainee teacher). We usually go away Christmas and then Easter. The OH has recently had an op so we decided not to book Christmas this year, but might go New Year instead – the extra week recovery hopefully doing the OH a bit of good.

My question is for Graham as we’re considering Jasna as a late choice, is snow usually pretty good so early in the season – especially given the slow start in most places? Checked the webcams, some areas look fine, others look patchy.
    Will there be enough to keep us amused for a week? We don’t really ski off piste, but we think we’re capable if guided/instructed (OH has been skiing 20-odd years, Jnr and I about 5 years).

nbt

No mention yet that Ski Sunday is back TOMORROW (Sunday 15th)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v8fc

PVR set to series record

shifter
    Free Member

Good reminder, tvm.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Went snowboarding on Thursday for the first time in about 8 years hoping it would hurt my ankle less than skiing. It seemed to work but now I need a new helmet, due to the increased chance of banging my head when catching an edge.

Can anybody recommend a well vented helmet that also looks good? I don’t like the ski style helmets and prefer the look of piss pots. Ideally I don’t want to spend any more than £50 and I want it to be black. The POC one in TK Maxx seems to fit well in xl but my local only has it in blue and I don’t think that will go with my green trousers.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I like my Protec one…got it frim Subvert. Think that it was 50 quid.

jam-bo

Got a Burton Red Trace that fits my large head well and matches perfectly with my anon goggles.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Friends just back from Club Med Tignes, first full week of season – conditions decent

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a Protec helmet for mtbing and I don’t really find it comfortable which is a shame as they look great. I didn’t realise Burton were behind red, I’ll have a look. Thanks both of you.

andytherocketeer

Just back from trip 1 of 3.
    Meribel was pretty good. Courchevel had better snow and better pistes for the coaching course, and had more sunshine, but freakin’ heck it ain’t half expensive! €8 for a coke and €6 for a coffee, and €9.90 for a beer.

Next up is somewhere in the Zillertal where beer costs 1/3rd of the price.

hammerite
    Free Member

Given the amount of coke I drink that’s not going to appear high up my list of possible destinations Andy!

I also have a Protec one, not sure how it compares to a MTBing one, I’d imagine there are some differences as mine has a furry/thermal skull cap type thing to help keep warm. Can’t think an MTB one would have that. I paid about £50 too 3-4 seasons ago, but have seen them in TK Maxx this year for about £20!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Hammerite the places that graham recommends in jansa were all booked up over Easter when I looked.

lucien

La Thuille – 3rd week of Jan, bu**er xmas, I wish I’d have made it for 2 weeks instead!

hammerite
    Free Member

Tom – we’re looking for New Year first, hence the question about reliability of snow early season.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha sorry I read that as late season choice!

hammerite
    Free Member

No worries, we’ll think about a late season trip later in the season!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Courcheval has always been right at the top of the prices league, more expensive than most places in Switzeralnd (ex Zermatt)

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,486 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2013-2014 season’ is closed to new replies.