• This topic has 2,363 replies, 165 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,364 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season
  • AlexSimon

GrahamS – Member

Just tried SkyScanner and it is showing direct flights from Liverpool to Bratislava in Feb.
    http://www.skyscanner.net/flights/uk/bts/cheapest-flights-from-united-kingdom-to-bratislava.html
    Thanks Graham – it didn’t come up before. Maybe I missed a combination before.

It works out at £160 each (including 15kg bag) + whatever they charge for snowboards though, so not an ultra-budget option. (that was 26th Jan to 2nd Feb).

I’ll propose it to the others and see what happens.

GrahamS

Aye!

Just checked my old emails. Our flights cost us £152 return each
    (including snowboard carriage which RyanAir do sting you for).

We took:

Flight FR4023 10/3/12 (Sat)
    dep 13:05 Liverpool
    arr 16:45 Bratislava

Flight FR6643 18/3/12 (Sun)
    dep 20:55 Bratislava
    arr 22:45 Edinburgh

Digby

Spooky that this thread should crop up as I’ve just started to make [tentative] plans for next season! 🙂

Kit wise I’ve just picked up a pair of last seasons trousers with 40% off, as my old ones were getting a bit worn and suffered from lack of venting whilst touring.

If this thread is half as good as last years Ski/Snowboard thread then that will be a very good thing indeed! 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Spooky that this thread should crop up as I’ve just started to make [tentative] plans for next season!

I know. I’ve been watching you…. 😈

If this thread is half as good as last years Ski/Snowboard thread then that will be a very good thing indeed!

It will be! After all, it’s the people that make it so, and judging by the starting two pages, we’re on to a winner already! 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Spooky that this thread should crop up as I’ve just started to make [tentative] plans for next season!

Isn’t it! The GF (she hasn’t skied before and is very keen to have a ‘pleasurable’ first experience) started a couple of days ago looking up some nice places in Switzerland/Austria.

Looks like February only for me and either Zermatt or Saas Fee at first glance at the offers.

I can’t decide between getting her lessons (4 x 2 hour sessions) on an artificial slope locally, followed by a day at Castleford Xscape to try some ‘real’ snow. The alternative is the beginners course at Castleford which is a whole day. Anyone done the Xscape course and is it any good? A full day learning seems like it might be a bit much all at once.

Any advice appreciated and also what is ‘the schizzz’ on womans ski gear this year, as she needs it all. No ski’s or boots just yet, until she knows if she likes it or not 😉

Earl
    Free Member

Just bought a pair of snowboard boots this morning! No plans yet!

Will be taking a 6y and 4y and want leasons/care for both. Can anyone recommend Bansko?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any advice appreciated and also what is ‘the schizzz’ on womans ski gear this year, as she needs it all. No ski’s or boots just yet, until she knows if she likes it or not

For a first time, beg and borrow. No point splurging loads if she then turns around and hates skiing! That said, if she’s of the “needing to look “the schizzz” persuasion”, might I recommend sir looks at the Toni Sailer range. 😉

crispo
    Free Member

It’s going to be a very depleted ski season for me this year. We are getting married next summer do needs to save as much holiday, and cash as we can for that at the moment.

Saying that I’ll be out in Lauterbrunnen for 4-5 days over new year visiting my parents so should get a few days in then.

Got my stag do on the slopes in January too! There’s 18 of us heading out for the Lauberhorn Men’s World Cup race in Wengen. A couple of days skiing, some great nights out and then one massive party day for the downhill! Can’t wait for it!

Woody
    Free Member

LOL Capn, at least it’s a bit cheaper than Bogner but still at little on the bling side and I know she would hate the ‘all the gear, no idea’ look.

I will take on board the ‘fitted’ look though, rather than baggy boarder style 😉

Digby

I know. I’ve been watching you…

lol … you saucy minx CFH! 🙂

ianpinder
    Free Member

OMG IM SO EXCITED ALREADY!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I will take on board the ‘fitted’ look though, rather than baggy boarder style

Whisper it quietly, TNF lady-gear is rather good for the mid-priced range. It has the advantage that she might “feel” better if she’s in shinier kit, and therefore enjoy it more. It’s a fine balance to strike.

Bunnyhop

Any advice appreciated and also what is ‘the schizzz’ on womans ski gear this year, as she needs it all. No ski’s or boots just yet, until she knows if she likes it or not

Decathlon is good.

However my first skiing trips were entirely kitted out in ‘Rodeo by C&A’ lol. Face palm.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

However my first skiing trips were entirely kitted out in ‘Rodeo by C&A’ lol. Face palm.

Mine was in a shiny green onesie from the same supplier….

The shame! The shame!

Luckily, no photographic evidence exists….!

Bunnyhop

Luckily, no photographic evidence exists….!

Thank goodness for that 😉

I have too much photo evidence. Infact it maybe a laugh (seeing as it’s still summer) to dig out some old photos and pop them up on this shiny new thread.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was thinking of the old thread the other day.

I went on my first Skiing trip this year and managed to break my leg on the first day. Didn’t realize it was broken so I carried on Skiing and thoroughly enjoyed it.

My kit was all very old crappy borrowed stuff so I ended up soaked through from the sweat and snow and falling over. I ordered some new Dare2B kit in May for a bargain price so at least this year I will look the part.

We are booked to go back to Morzine at the end of Feb and I cant wait.

As an aside does anybody use a GoPro when skiing? I’m not expecting anything amazing but thought it would be fun. Where do you mount it? I was thinking helmet, chesty, and possibly pole. Any better ideas?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

to dig out some old photos and pop them up on this shiny new thread.

Will upload a few of my more recent ones too!

Bunnyhop

Where do you mount it?

Ah yes, now we saw lots of them on the end of ski poles, mostly being carried by snowboarders, who seem to enjoy filming themsleves and not the scenery or friends.

scotsman
    Free Member

I knew this was going to pop up soon 🙁 I will be missing my first season in 32 years! Booked in for ACL reconstruction in December after Januarys disaster in Norway!

m1kea
    Free Member

When I succumbed to Strava and uploaded all my GPS tracks, I had my various ski trips in there as well.

Couldn’t work out if Strava auto created a load of new tracks as I had a load of lift climbs listed. No descents were marked which I found slightly odd as this would be prime Strava material. And obviously sitting in a chairlift doesn’t count for climbing.

Are there Strava tracks for European slopes (I’ve never skiied in Europe)?

Woody
    Free Member

However my first skiing trips were entirely kitted out in ‘Rodeo by C&A’ lol

Ha! After a few years break from skiing I made a last minute purchase of C&A’s best, a one piece number in a rather fetching purple.

I had the last laugh, when my mates, dressed in fully technical base layer outwards with Degré 7 goretex niceness, were freezing on the last lift home (Avoriaz IIRC) and I was warm as toast 😀

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Earl –
    Will be taking a 6y and 4y and want leasons/care for both. Can anyone recommend Bansko?

No experience of Bansko but after 3 failed attempts to get our kid into skiing, we went with Snowbizz last year and they did exactly what it says on the tin. The kids (4-6) are now very keen to go skiing again – result.

Snowbizz over Christmas
    Hopefully a week at Easter in Austria with friends
    Also, hope top get a few trips to Scotland if conditions are as good as they were this May for more of the season.

cobrakai

Woody, not being negative but I don’t think the ski in a day course is worth it. I was at braehead instructing and the best progression I achieved was through individual lessons on the level system. It works for some though. Would defo recommend some lessons before you go. Dry slope or sno slope would be fine.

justatheory
    Free Member

Only got a week holiday left until April, so will be just the one trip for me. If late season conditions are as good as last season I might go early April as well.

I was considering going in my motorhome this year, anyone done this? Worried it’ll be too cold!

milleboy
    Free Member

Off the France Jan test riding next years kit for a long weekend

Then off on a road trip in the camper end of feb for 19days….boarding and split boarding.

Bit’s up in scotland and local (lake district) if the weather plays ball

And there’s talk of a long weekend in Austria speed flying….but we’ll see 🙂

So hopefully get about 25 days in!

nbt

I was considering going in my motorhome this year, anyone done this? Worried it’ll be too cold!

Have a read over on snowheads – Dave Barter’s posted a link to his blog where he describes a 3 day ski trip to Les Arcs in his motorhome, and I’ve done 2 weeks round scotland’s ski centres in a caravan

legend
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

And of course, in honour of me starting this thread, she will now send me a pair of FireArrows. Thanks.

Boots or Skis? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Boots or Skis?

The latter please! Their boots don’t fit my square plates, and so am happily tucked up in my Salomons.

afrothunder88

Argh! I had a fantastic trip to Les Menuire last year, reading this thread is annoying as I dunno if I’m going to be able to afford to repeat it this year. We’re supposedly meeting a friend who’s doing a round the world trip in Rio in February for the Carnival which I think is going to cost a small fortune!

Also annoyed as I’m finally going to Japan but its not in the winter so no ridiculous powder for me.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Already bought – Rome 390 Boss bindings, new boarding pants.

On the shopping list, a board of the all mountain freestyle persuasion, maybe a Nitro Rook or Team Gullwing, maybe some boots, maybe a new helmet.

On the wishlist, as much pow as fell last season (and someone to clear our two driveways).

wallop

Hoping to do a week in late January. Went as a group to Les Arcs last year and had a great time, but I think this year it’ll just be me and the OH (due to impending babies for the other guys).

What is the craic with going into a catered chalet when there’s just two of you? Do you just share with other random people?

Any resort ideas welcome – liked the size of the ski area in Les Arcs but the apres was pants.

Also hoping for a cheeky weekend in Kreischberg.

For beginner clobber you can’t beat the Helly Hansen outlet shop in Gloucester Quays.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

liked the size of the ski area in Les Arcs but the apres was pants.

What sort of “apres” do you want?* Dancing on the tables in your ski boots, or coke-hookers-russian-discos sort of thing? 😉

* Apres = Getting pished. Somewhere expensive. Less important than the skiing, IMHO…..

wallop

TBH it wouldn’t stop me from going back to Les Arcs, but we’ve just been there again for 2 weeks on the bikes – 3 trips in 12 months might be a bit excessive 😆

Just wondered what the alternatives are. I just like a nice lively bar for a couple of beers before dinner (Kreischberg is great for that). No nightclubs required!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I just like a nice lively bar for a couple of beers before dinner

Now I know I may sound biased, but I do so love the place!

Serre Che has a choice of;
    The Station – At the foot of the Alphand, sitting in the sunshine drinking beer and watching the noobs fall down! House band the Harper Brothers are ace!
    La Grotte – At the foot of the Casse du Boeuf in Villeneuve

http://plandespistes.serre-chevalier.com/

Massive ski area, really well linked by lifts. Lots of slack-country too.

It’s not a party town, but it’s my fave resort to ski, and has enough fun bars for a beer or few before dinner. Gets quieter earlier in the evening than some as well.

mbydmt
    Free Member

Yes, great shout CFH! As some will have read:

Doing a season in most likely St. Anton 😀 can not wait already, and will likely end up with new boots, googles, gloves and probably ski’s by January if my spending (read splurging) on bikes is anything to go by 🙄

Currently going through last years thread, watched the art of flights and GNAR the other day and thoroughly in the mood!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Currently going through last years thread,

See you in a couple of weeks, then!

wallop

Ooooh, Serre Che – funny you should mention that, that’s where we were supposed to go earlier this year. Good shout, ta!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you go, let me know!

Plenty of good tips for you, and I may need you to deliver some marmalade to someone for me! (Don’t ask….! 😉 )

cobrakai

Soll. Runs aren’t too long so you feel like you’re on a lift all the time, but the area is a massive tree lined play ground! Good apre too!

legend
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

The latter please! Their boots don’t fit my square plates, and so am happily tucked up in my Salomons.

Jeez man, you can at least specify the model (80?) and length 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,364 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season’ is closed to new replies.