Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season – THE COST :(
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I was out riding yesterday and another rider suggested about going skiing.

I know its expensive and before I say yes and feel obligated and there seem to be loads of skiers on here … what sort of numbers am I and the GF looking at ?

It does look fun or is snowboarding even better 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

The short answer is, “it depends”! 😉

It’s still possible to do a cheap and cheerful trip for as little as £500 a head, including flights, transfers, accommodation, self-catering and lift-pass. Equipment rental/lessons on top of that if you need them.

Equally, you can spend as much as you like – we were chatting to someone the other night who ran a chalet that rented for over £50k per week!

To stay in a nice, catered chalet with someone like us 😉 , you’re talking about nearer £1,000 per person all in once you include flights, transfers, accommodation, food & drink and lift-pass. About the cheapest we could do a fully-catered week for would work out around £700 per person, all-in.

Oh, and of course – 2 planks good, 1 plank better… :mrgreen:

luffy105
    Free Member

Stevomcd is right, it really depends on so many factors. But IMHO I’d go with a small chalet owner like him rather than the bigger tour ops. They tend to offer a better level of service! Ignore his comment about planks though…. He was right on the money about what he said until then. Poor deluded fella, the inter season must be taking its toll! 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Thanks Stevecd.

Quite a cost then 🙁 So plank costs, jackets etc. are going to knock the price up quite a bit as well.

Looks like the GF is just going have to have a full susser instead 🙂

bigjim

A few weeks ago flights to Geneva were about £60, don’t know about now. B&B somewhere like the Snow Inn and you have a pretty cheap week!

stevomcd
    Free Member

redthunder – you can rent beginner skis & boots for 80€ or less for the week.

A decent walking/MTB jacket with layers underneath will do fine or you can pick up a decent ski jacket at TKMaxx for £50…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plus, if you’re a total noob, many of the resorts have free to use baby learner slopes! Which is nice.
    Lessons are very much worth doing if you’re a complete beginner, though. Very much indeed.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Good point CFH – many resorts will have nursery slopes or even slightly longer lifts which are free to use and will keep you occupied for your first 2-3 days. Means you save many not buying a full area lift pass for the whole week.

wallop

DEFINITELY get lessons. Some resorts have good beginner lesson/lift pass deals which effectively gives you one element for free.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The school I know of in Serre Che do a boots/skis/lessons/lift pass package all bundled in. Nice way to make it all easier!

Mark

WE went to Bulgaria a couple of years ago in late february (after the dreaded half term) with Inghams. Including lift passes, flight, hotel accom (half board), gear and lessons it cost us £475 each.

This Feb we are going at half term to italy with two first time teens and it’s costing over £4k!

Tracey

We usually leave it to 2 weeks before and book a late availability with Crystal Ski

justatheory
    Free Member

You’re looking at least a grand, if you’re go somewhere in The Alps and need gear, lessons, equipment hire, booze money, food, accommodation and flights etc.

Worth every penny though, without doubt the best holidays I’ve ever had.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I normally reckon you’re doing pretty well if you can get a week to come in for less than £700 based on a £400 half board package holiday and a €200ish lift pass. the are some good deals about for the 8th and 9th of December. 🙂

Bunnyhop

As a rule of thumb we go by £100 per day. So 6 skiing days, plus one travelling is around £700.
    Factor in that you won’t be at home, using heat, petrol, food etc.

Also borrow clothing and use some of your cycling gear where possible, especially for laying up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s tough to do skiing cheaply vs say a summer holiday where provided there is a beach and good weather you don’t need to spend a lot of money

Prices vary quiet a bit (Christmas, New Year, Feb Half Term being much more expensive than late Jan). Also some resorts are much =better for beginners than others.

IMO early/mid March is a great time for a beginners holiday as the weather should be decent.

If I could only have one type of holiday it would be skiing. If you love MTB chances are you’ll love skiing too.

£1000 a week is a resonable budget

shifter
    Free Member

As above, I budget a grand. By the time you’ve added insurance, parking, ski carriage, lift pass, beer and food it’ll end up around a grand unless you go for packed lunches and sit in the room drinking supermarche beer/wine at night! Hell I suppose you could always not drink…
    TKMaxx is your friend for ski gear. Don’t forget gloves and goggles. I’d probably rent a helmet for a first trip.

hammerite
    Free Member

For a first time it’s difficult to search for bargains as booking a ski holiday can seem to be complicated. It takes knowing what you need to know whether you’re getting a bargain.

We normally go on a holiday at Christmas that we book well in advance so we get exactly what, we try and get a good price for what we’re getting, but don’t skimp. We also go at Easter, which so we can afford to go on another trip bargain hunt! This means leaving it until as late as we dare before booking (I’m not good at this as I love having a holiday booked to look forward to).

That said we’ve always had a good time. Bearing in mind that school holiday times generally inflate prices 2 years ago we managed to get 1 week half board in a hotel, flights, transfers, lift passes, ski hire and lessons (5x 1/2 days) for £1,600 for 3 of us. It was to Pas de la Casa (Andorra) which isn’t the prettiest of towns, but the ski area was fine and more than adequate for a beginner (was my 3rd week, the OH has been away a huge amount more and enjoyed it too).

If you are prepared to wait and risk a late booking you might get a great bargain, especially if you can go during term time. Clothing wise it might not be as bad as you think £25 for ski pants from TKMaxx, Jacket for £50ish, gloves £10 from decathlon or TKMaxx. If you’re riding a bike over winter I’d guess you’ve already got some thermals. You then just need some spending money for beer and food (which can be considerable if you head to some areas in France!)

hammerite
    Free Member

Be prepared to get hooked though and take up another expensive hobby! Which whatever your intentions will end up costing more and more the further you get into it!

grum
    Free Member

We had a great last minute half board deal to St Johann in Austria over NY last year – under £350 for flight, transfers, breakfast and dinner (though you could pinch breakfast stuff for lunch). Not expensive once you’re there either. Obviously you need a lift pass and gear as well.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you go with UCPA and avoid school holidays then under £500 for a week is easy. I think cheapest I’ve done was about £350, including transport, accommodation, ski hire and three meals a day. They also include lessons/guiding, although I haven’t bothered with them since I’ve been using UCPA. It’s a bit more “social” than having your own chalet, but there are generally a good range of people and ages.

http://www.ucpa.co.uk/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2012-2013 season – THE COST :(’ is closed to new replies.