• This topic has 135 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • The STW Political Poll
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Yeah ok, is the poll finished? What is the result?

cinnamon_girl

GIGOLOS FOR THE LAYDEEZ PLEASE

Cap’n Poldark will be fine though.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

IS STW unavailable in Wales?

SaxonRider

IS STW unavailable in Wales?

I was wondering the same thing, but I can’t say too much, because I live in Wales, and I don’t want to give too much away about my own choice.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That’ll be the postal votes from Tower Hamlets.

😆

I don’t think I could ever vote Tory, the exception being if I lived in Tower Hamlets.

slowoldman

chewkw getting a hard-on dreaming about firearms again.

chakaping
    Free Member

But that would be against the spirit of things, wouldn’t it?

And I definitely can’t imagine any of the right-wing bellends on here being petty enough to do something like that, eh?

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    chewkw getting a hard-on dreaming about firearms again.

I have been looking at the firearms the police are carrying in the city centre, I mean some of the female officers carrying AR-15 variants look hot. 😛 Also noticed the pistol with cord (Murican dont have cord) as I have not seen that for so many years. Magazine is only 3/4 full but I think they also carry spares (hope they do). :mrgreen:

edit: I think there should be RoboCop … 😆

km79
    Free Member

I think there should be RoboCop …

I think you should be first in line when it starts **** shit up.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

What’s the result then? You can’t ask us to do a survey then not publish the result

kudos100
    Free Member

It would be interesting to have a survey of which papers/news sites people visit alongside this.

I doubt many would be reading the sun or the mail here.

My crystal ball tells me that reading broadsheets would lead to people have more of an understanding of what they are voting for.

oldtalent
    Free Member

And where they are geographically. I have always assumed voting labour to be a northern and/or unemployed thing.

andytherocketeer

You can’t ask us to do a survey then not publish the result

that’s the way it works for those doing surveys for uni dissertations

vote early, vote often

that might be why the results are either no published or not meaningful.
    only 2 of my alter egos voted 😉 (to prove a point, not skew the results)

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think there should be RoboCop

You do realise that Robocop was a satire, don’t you?

Back to the election for a minute – my local area is almost devoid of any signs or banners, which is very unusual for any pre-election campaign. Even social media seems to be very muted.

Perhaps everyone has paid heed to Billy Connolly’s assertion “Don’t vote. It only encourages them”.

SaxonRider

The reason I haven’t published any results is that I believe after the last batch I did publish, someone skewered them by voting Conservative multiple times. Since then, however, I have had about 350 more responses, so that may have been ironed out.

In which case, my wholly unscientific poll so far reveals the following:

552 Total votes

Conservative – 225 for 40.76%
    Labour – 184 for 33.33%
    Lib Dem – 69 for 12.5%
    SNP – 31 for 5.61%
    Green – 21 for 3.8%
    Destroyed Ballot – 18 for 3.26%

chewkw
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member
    The reason I haven’t published any results is that I believe after the last batch I did publish, someone skewered them by voting Conservative multiple times. Since then, however, I have had about 350 more responses, so that may have been ironed out.

In which case, my wholly unscientific poll so far reveals the following:

552 Total votes

Labour – 184 for 33.33%
    Lib Dem – 69 for 12.5%
    SNP – 31 for 5.61%
    Green – 21 for 3.8%

That’s a bit of a surprise if that is accurate … 😛

It must be the silent majority of STW. 😆

How on earth do people spoil the ballot? 😯

copa
    Free Member

What happened to my vote for Plaid?

Stoner
    Free Member

treated with the contempt it deserved!

taxi25
    Free Member

Well if people have tried to fiddle saxonrider’s poll that’s weirdly pathetic 8O. But if it is accurate and this being a cycling forum it’s not good news for labour. It also confirms my belief that people with a more left wing perspective like to argue their case far more passionetly. The noise they make is out of proportion to the actual support there is for their views. I suppose the Tories on here just can’t be arsed with the arguing so remain silent.

SaxonRider

If you’re serious copa, I have no idea. I just went back to the results, and there is definitely no Plaid vote.

EDIT:

How on earth do people spoil the ballot?

Easy. I have done it in the past when I really believed there was no one worth voting for, but I still wanted to exercise my vote. I simply went into the ballot box, and drew a line through all the choices.

chewkw
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member
    It also confirms my belief that people with a more left wing perspective like to argue their case far more passionetly. The noise they make is out of proportion to the actual support there is for their views.

It’s a habit of theirs which is rather normal. 😛

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tories don’t post much, too much abuse.

Here is one of the old threads – there was another after the 2015 GE win, lots of Tory voters posted who never/rarely contribute to political threads

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-on-here-voting-tory-why

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s a habit of theirs which is rather normal.

Whereas, a right winger who spouts off total nonsense in all directions at every possible opportunity, is a habit which nobody thinks is normal.

keithr
    Free Member

Whereas, a right winger who spouts off total nonsense in all directions at every possible opportunity, is a habit which nobody thinks is normal.

No, that’s exactly what we expect from right-wingers.

copa
    Free Member

Hmm. Well, I voted for Plaid.

keithr
    Free Member

And richly deserved abuse, too.

chewkw
    Free Member

nealglover – Member

It’s a habit of theirs which is rather normal.

Whereas, a right winger who spouts off total nonsense in all directions at every possible opportunity, is a habit which nobody thinks is normal. [/quote]
    That’s a bit of an exaggeration innit. 😆

keithr – Member

I claim that line of argument first (expect, norm, habit etc) so you need to try something new. 😆

keithr – Member
    And richly deserved abuse, too.

Ya, but whenever I try to be friendly light hearted with you lot (leftie) you consider yourself being abused … so funny. Silly geese. 😆

somafunk

To be fair tories don’t get enough abuse

DezB
    Free Member

How on earth do people spoil the ballot?

Easy. I have done it in the past when I really believed there was no one worth voting for, but I still wanted to exercise my vote. I simply went into the ballot box, and drew a line through all the choices

Although, in this case, it is simply (very simply) a matter of picking “Destroy Ballot” as your survey vote. Is that hard for a Tory to understand or summink?

kerley
    Free Member

Ya, but whenever I try to be friendly light hearted with you lot you consider yourself being abused

Any links to posts where you tried to be friendly light hearted and people have claimed to be abused?

ransos
    Free Member

Labour – 184 for 33.33%
    Lib Dem – 69 for 12.5%
    SNP – 31 for 5.61%
    Green – 21 for 3.8%

Bookmarked for the next time we get complaints about the forum being the preserve of lefties.

chewkw
    Free Member

kerley – Member

Ya, but whenever I try to be friendly light hearted with you lot you consider yourself being abused

Any links to posts where you tried to be friendly light hearted and people have claimed to be abused? [/quote] You just have to monitor that yourself with your “critical” views. 😛

stumpyjon

keithr – Member

[quote]keithr – Member
    And richly deserved abuse, too.[/quote]

somafunk – Member
    To be fair tories don’t get enough abuse

🙄

Zero respect for an alternative point of view, assumption that being in support of some right wing policies means you support all and can’t think some more social progressive polices are also valid. Assumption that you support idiots like Maybot & Boris, assumption that any support for right wing policies is purely based on selfish personal reasons rather than a genuine belief the world doesn’t work the way people with opposing views believe. We’ll see come election time what the country thinks, for what it’s worth Corbyn seems to be upping his game, actually has some policies that are sensible (unfortunately buried by the great leap backwards policies) and Maybot is rapidly losing the plot, shame the other alternatives are so lightweight.

But mainly being lumped in with chewkw. When he’s deemed to represent your views you’re just better off staying out of it.

chewkw
    Free Member

stumpyjon – Member
    But mainly being lumped in with chewkw. When he’s deemed to represent your views you’re just better off staying out of it.

Who are lumped in with me? What are you talking about who do I represent?

I Do Not represent anyone apart from myself, however I do vote for the party(s) that I feel I like … 😯

nealglover
    Free Member

Zero respect for an alternative point of view 🙄

Stumpyjon, I notice you quoted me at the top of your post

What I wrote has nothing to do with who somebody votes for. It was aimed at one particular poster (and he knows who he is because he replied)

somafunk

Zero respect for an alternative point of view

Not at all, Just forming my opinion on the tories (councillors and mp’s) that i’ve met/have experience of.

Vile, homophobic, racist…., just some of the terms i can use on here to describe them.

However i do know Rory Stewart quite well (Penrith/Borders tory MP) he’s very decent indeed but stymied by the machinations of the current Tory party policies.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hard to respect people who dogmatically stick with a party that’s doing so much damage to this country.

They’ll have my respect when they’re no longer Tories.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The words “assumption” and “assertion” is key here.

Once upon a time, you could read the right of centre press and although you might disagree ideologically, the case was put in a clear and rational way (Daily Mail and Sun excepted). You agreed to disagree, but the arguments stuck to basic rules of conduct.

When you look at the politics of Trump, Brexit and post-Cameron conservatism, the right seem to have abandoned the platform of rationale – I’ll quote a conversation between a journalist and Newt Gingrich which went along these lines (forgive my paraphrasing):

Journalist: You know that Americans are safer than ever before with violent crime falling, don’t you?
    Gingrich: No, they’re not.
    Journalist: I have here the statistics to prove it. Crime rates have fallen across the board. Americans are less likely to be victims of violent crime.
    Gingrich: But Americans don’t feel safer.

There’s been a conscious shift in the narrative to strengthen the soundbites of the right wing press with assertions, not fact. It’s almost as if the political right has abandoned the centre ground and has eschewed the evidence presented by experts and irrefutable, peer reviewed political science.

There’s a reason why I regularly challenge he who must not be mentioned to present facts to back up his assertions. He knows perfectly well that his assertions are on the surface utterly meaningless, which in the context of STW crosses the line between lively debate and repeated trolling designed to provoke a negative response.

chewkw
    Free Member

Interesting to see some keep calling their views “facts”.

Now, I know there are many PhDs here to argue about facts etc … 😆

But let me ask you some elementary questions about the way you derive your “facts” and your reporting (not journalistic) technique, since you should know so much.

Okay, let’s try some of these basic questioning of facts …

What’s the methodology to consider facts?

Define fact?
    From whose perspective do you consider that fact?
    Who collected those data to consider fact?
    How do they collect those data?
    How do they derive (analyse) those data to consider fact?
    Sample population?

Some of the very basic questions I was taught many years ago to scrutinise the so called “facts” when someone tries to spin views.

Now if I were to ask you about all the above questions you will have a complete shut down … complete paralysis. 😛

Silly geese trying to argue facts. Fact! 😆

News reporters reporting facts? 😯

I will always challenge those that consider themselves so good they got their facts? 😛

somafunk

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘The STW Political Poll’ is closed to new replies.