Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 'The Snip' – how long before I can get back on the bike?
  • benz
    Free Member

And I certainly don't mean my wife…..

Assuming all goes well and I don't end up with testicles like watermelons or a nasty infection – how long did you guys wait until you got back on your bikes and any tips you care to share?

Thanks!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I rode to work the next day :o)

most others (tarts) seem to require days of recouperation…

DWH
    Free Member

Well considering the cut is about 5mm long, maybe three hours?

It didn't bother me at all.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Same, i was back in the saddle the next day.

wwaswas

give it a week and see how you feel.

my kids still crack up when they remember me walking around the house like a cowboy once the anaesthetic had worn off and it was all a bit 'uncomfortable' for a few days even with tight pants stopping too much movement.

david_r
    Free Member

A few days all goes well.

It's the mental scars that last a lifetime! the feeling of them prodding around inside your nutbag with a hook to locate the right tube to yank out, and the 'crunchy' sound you hear when they cut through the tubes!

chopperT
    Free Member

Thanks dr, I just really needed that imagery. Might put it off now..

theotherjonv

For me, the nut discomfort wore off sufficiently in a couple of days that I'd have been happy to ride again certainly within the week. Unfortunately the wound itself picked up a minor infection and didn't heal properly, so after 2 weeks I was back again to have the pus and gunk scrubbed out (no anaesthetic for that – ouch!!) and restart the healing process. Left me off the bike for 4 weeks in total, but on the plus side I do have a nice scar now where the wound edges didn't join tidily. (Chicks dig scars right – just got to persuade a few to have a real close look at it now)

I didn't get the enjoyment of the 'crunchy sounds' as mine was cut and cauterised with a glorified soldering iron. So instead of sound, mine was in smell-o-vision. Sort of burnt bacon actually.

And finally. The procedure is no issue. Minor discomfort only. And frankly, once you've lain naked from the waist down on the tabel, had your tackle pulled through a hole in a sheet and painted brown, and been prodded with assorted fingers and needles, you'll be wishing it over so you can get out of there with a shred of dignity intact and that will far outweigh any worries you have about the procedure.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Sensibly? – gentle road riding – a few days.
    Proper mountainbiking – a couple of weeks.
    I'm told, if you get a bleed it can be very painful with a scrotum full of blood 😯

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Went in for the op myself about 1 month ago and was expecting it to be like having a tooth out. In reality I found it was much more of a deal. I was hoping to be riding within a few days but picked up an infection which I ignored at first but which turned a bit nasty and I had to go onto antibiotices. It was a good 2 weeks before I was really up to getting back on the bike. My advice is if you do think you've picked up a post op infection get some anibiotics asap…

Trekster

Off work for 3wks(heavy work, on the tools)due to internal problems and the proverbial watermelon syndrome.20 odd yrs on and still have some discomfort 😯

MoreCashThanDash

The otherjonv summed up the procedure quite nicely – I had the cauterising version, or "slash and burn" as I like to think of it. Nothing will take away the smell of burning tubes….or the the loud scream as the surgeon stuck the soldering iron through the incision and we both discovered that a little more local anaesthetic was required….

Ignore all the macho men on here who rode home from the op and did Glentress black the next day – NONE of the people I know in the real world have been able to do anything like that. Take the advice of the medical team – take it easy while it heals inside and out, and wear tight supportive underwear.

I had no real pain or discomfort after a couple of days, but the scab from where they cauterised the wound closed kept coming off. I felt well enough to ride after 3-4 days, the wound finally healed properly after 3 weeks, I gave it another week and rode in the 4th week.

adey205
    Free Member

i was hanging off the side of my brother in laws boat the follwing day doing some painting. suppose it depends on the person.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I must say the internet is full of horror story's, my op went fine, the really bad bit was my dick being taped to my belly by the nurse, that was embarrassing at the time. The only other 'pain' was I needed a touch more anesthetic, but it was all over in 20 minutes, & TBh honest if you can't endure that then you probably shouldn't have kids ever anyway.

I done light riding later that day, & I was on my normal xxxxxXC routes within a few days, TBH I try not to slam my nuts into the saddle most of the time, so a little extra caution saw me through.

Oh, & I liked the analogy from my GP, would you think you had a better chance of finding 'X' though a big hole or a small hole, whilst persuading me not to pay for keyhole sugary.

Enjoy!

Bregante

can't believe you'd ask this in a bike forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could your Dr not tell you this?

mmmmm? DoI trust the medixally qualified person or the random internet person I've never met who happens to be looking at internet bike forums?

Obviously the answer is MTFU and get out on your bike you big girls blouse

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Personally I gave it about a week.

David R- Glad I got mine lasered and not crunched like you.

snakebite
    Free Member

I had mine dona ala tour de France style, doc did it hanging out the car as I completed the satge , no probs, came second as well out of 4790 riders on a 234km stage. Bit sore the next day but it was OK Cos it was a climbing day, Alp D'Huez, so only 100km

geetee1972
    Free Member

My GP is well known around here for having conducted his own vasectomy. I can't even begin to think how.

Coyote
    Free Member

Well. I had an agrument with my surgeon about which anaesthetic. I wanted local, he wanted to give me a general. In the end I "won". He administered the local and was just leaving the room when the anaesthetist walked in. "OK", he said. "Let's get the injections done."

"I've already done it." said my surgeon. The surprised reaction from the anaesthetist indicated to me that may be this was a break from established practice.

The operation began and I realised that I had not in fact "won" as I could feel every exquisite cut and slice. Maybe not in full effect but could certainly appreciate the sharpness of the surgeons blade. The bastard.

Anyhow, no complications (he may have been a vindictive git, but he was good) and I was back on the bike after a couple of weeks. I would ignore the macho men on here who will berate you for not riding to and from the operation. Like everything, you will know when the time is right. Might I also recommend a couple of gentle road rides before you get the DH rig out?

The best thing about the snip? In the weeks following you have a license to **** so you can clear out your tubes ready for the production of the all clear sample. Enjoy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Who needs a license to ****? I suspect many a marriage is saved by the occasional interlude with Hannah and her five sisters.

Ed2001
    Free Member

As already mentioned far better to ask the doctor who is doing the op. If you trust him with a scalpel near your wedding tackle surely you can trust his advice on when its safe to ride. All this "I rode the next day" I suspect only applies to people who have the genitals of a 6 year old.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

LOL at Coyote who thinks he knows better than a trained professional. The world is really occupied by knobs!

Coyote
    Free Member

I didn't want a general anaesthetic for such a minor procedure. I only know of one person who had a general and he really regretted it.

Also according to hospital procedures they would not do the operation under general unless you had arranged for someone to collect you rather then going home under your own steam.

Cock.

Chase
    Free Member

My surgeons quote when asked about going back to work (postie) was "Two days if you work in an office, three weeks if you work down a mine and six weeks if you are a mounted policeman" I then had to figure out for myself where I fit into that.
    The only other advice I was offered was to keep the spuds supported but also ventilated. Sweaty nads due to driving or been seated for a long time can lead to infection.

GW
    Free Member

how old were you guys when you got it done?

Coyote
    Free Member

psychle
    Free Member

how old were you guys when you got it done?

Was going to ask the same question… also, I'm guessing you all have kids?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

37, 2 kids, don't want anymore thanks.

whytetrash

I researched this myself …ranged from macho responses like back in work the next day (Dad)through to off the bike for months (on here) I was uncomfortable for two days (mostly on sofa as doc advised) light jog/walk on third day back on road bike after five days (clubs post Xmas booze ride so may have helped the pain!) slight infection bit of pus to expel for a few days but fine since!

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

40 with 2 kids. Couldn't manage the financial impact of another one…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘'The Snip' – how long before I can get back on the bike?’ is closed to new replies.