Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The Slab V McMoab
  • GhostRider
    Free Member

Just wundering the difference ?

Had a spin round Dalbeattie yesterday took one look over the edge of The Slad and totally shat my pants, Shaky Jackey had a similar effect.

So how does McMoab compare bigger ? not as steep ? more rutted ?

I think theres also a similar feature at Laggan, how does this compare ?

kimbers

mcmoab is bigger and more fun more lines a good challenge to make it round

slab is erm justa slab of rock just a case of rolling down it, not very technical at all

Horse
    Free Member

Slab is longer than McMoabs drops but Mcmoabs are defo more technical and steeper

Garry_Lager

McMoab is not particularly steep – there's one roll off the highest point that might test your bottle, as it's not exactly a soft landing if you misjudge, but even this is not too bad.

As kimbers says it's a good challenge making it through McMoab without dabbing (not done it myself, although I've only ridden it twice). There's no real gnarly moves, but loads of places where you can lose your momentum, take a bad line etc. It's a terrific ride, actually – great feature of Kirroughtree.

qwerty
    Free Member

"took one look over the edge of The Slad and totally shat my pants"

don't wear any then:

peachos
    Free Member

mcmoab is great fun. managed it with only 2 dabs, shame it's such a trek to try again! if, after you drop down the chute, you turn 180 degrees and head back towards the bottom of the run out, but a bit to the right, there is a tiny kicker which transitions on to the wall ride…which is fun 😀

out of interest, has anyone ridden blackstone edge near rochdale? it's a similar terrain to this in the fact that it's mega technical, trials-esque rock slabs.

rich-6
    Free Member

I dont know how anyone can do moab with only two dabs you must be a bloody good rider, The Start had me stuffed 😆 I had dodgy gears mind shitmano cup and cone fail 🙁

Halfway in it took a gash out of my leg so walked most of it, I did the easy bit on the way up to the steep roll off near the very end

Slab was a Doddle went off it 4 or 5 times when i was up there last, Didnt have the bottle for the qualifier though after the time before when i went down with my chest on the saddle instead of stood up, Dont ask 😆

stevomcd
    Free Member

The Laggan slab is like the Dalbeattie one, but with an easier run-in and no big ruts. Just ease off the brakes and roll it!

I'd count McMoab as totally different to the other two. The Slab and Air's Rock are just steep rolls (albeit The Slab is a bit awkward to get onto) whereas McMoab is much less intimidating (nowhere near as high) but has lots of ups and downs, pretty technical riding.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

rich-6
    I've also done Mcmoab with only two dabs and I'm certainly not a talented rider (that would not include stopping at the top of the steep drop at the end). One of those dabs was a rest, because I was so knackered from punching the bike thru/over all the rock obsticals, but otherwise, generally I can keep the bike moving. However, I do ride alot at Stainburn, which has lots of slow speed techy rock obsticals, so I've just become quite good at that particular skill. It's just a combo of positive attitude, lofting the front wheel in the right places and using 1/2 and 1/4 pedal strokes to punch the bike forward over obsticals that would otherwise stop you dead and cause a dab. You have to work the bike and keep it moving, which is physically demanding, but stopping to get your breathe isn't the same as having to dab. 😉

djglover
    Free Member

I've seen Mcmoab ridden by people on a tandem, with no dabs.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think I've seen vid on you tube of someone doing it on a uni-cycle.

djglover
    Free Member

Really. I have.

GavinB

Really? Including the little bit where you turn back on yourself really sharp-ish about halfway around? I'd like to have seen that.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

both on here: watch it and see what you think

GavinB

Oh, and FWIW I reckon that McMoab is more a test of skill, whereas the Slab (and the one at Laggan) is a test of bottle. Plenty of places to scrape yourself on McMoab, but never that badly. I've not ridden at Dalbeattie for a year, but wonder how the Slab is wearing – is it getting polished with all the riders?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The Slab V McMoab’ is closed to new replies.