Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • The secrets to weight loss
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

so those on the 5:2 diet – how do you cope with riding.

i do 25k in the morning in fasted state and 25k in the evening after eating regularly.

i cant imagine trying to do that on the “2” days…..

not that im considering it – as its not exactly healthy for your body.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sancho – Member
    whats the difference between long steady rides v short intensity stuff?

how is one going to lose weight more than the other?

If you enjoy cycling, then just ride your bike at the intensity you want to. Doing one or the other in a bid to lose weight is a daft idea. Likewise, cutting out stuff like beer, processed foods etc. is a stupid/difficult thing to do. As is counting calories, or eating six small meals a day or anything else that requires lots of thought and preparation.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Best way to lose weight !!
    Split up with your wife….my mate has never looked better!!!….and his new girlfriend??????whoah!!!

I’m thinking about it myself now 😛

lunge

how is one going to lose weight more than the other?

Assuming the calorie usage is the same, the short, sharp stuff will do more muscle damage, this takes energy to repair so you use more fuel up. There’s also a view that longer, low intensity exercise often leads to people eating bog when they finish and so negating a lot of the benefits.

Oh, and remember, most people, contrary to what they think, are not looking to lose weight, their looking to look better and/or feel better about their bodies. So, don’t use scales, take a picture of yourself in your undies and then take a new picture each week or 2, use this as your reference.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I realised in March, on my 50th birthday to be exact, that I was the heaviest I’d ever been so I decided to do something about it and this worked for me:

1) Cut out all ‘bad’ food
    2) Reduce portion size by 25%
    3) Fasted training ride twice a week – 2.5 -3.5 hours going as hard as I dared roughly 30 – 35 miles off road
    4) Push hard all the way around my weekly park run 5K
    5) Get more sleep

I’m not sure if the last one really helps to lose weight but it made me feel ‘better’ which allowed me to do items 1 – 4 more easily.

I’ve managed to lose 28 lbs ~ 12.7 kg between March and July and am now aiming to lose another 6 kg over the next 3 months.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

i do 25k in the morning in fasted state and 25k in the evening after eating regularly.

i cant imagine trying to do that on the “2” days…..

I reckon you can’t do it, at leasdt not two rides per day. Depends how hard you go though.

duckman

cheekyget – Member

Best way to lose weight !!
    Split up with your wife….my mate has never looked better!!!….and his new girlfriend??????whoah!!!

I’m thinking about it myself now

Worked for me! 10 stone of bitter,disapproving weight with one wee signature.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The part i find hard about logging is that most if not all of my meals are made from scratch and more often than not – not to a recipe.

I didn’t consider it necessary to calculate calories to the absolute, just recording something approx every time you open your mouth and being realistic is sufficient enough IMO. There’s a massive database and I’ve always found something in the database that’s near enough to count. Most other stuff comes pre packed so scanning bar codes and maybe changing the pre entered quantity also seemed to account for much stuff I buy. Personally, certainly for me, I think it’s more about the reality check.
    I suppose if you’re in it for recording salt, sugar, vitamins and minerals then you have to get anal, but otherwise I don’t see the need

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I dunno about you but my body’s definitely not that easily fooled! “

depends how committed you are to losing weight i guess. but for me when plating up meals its much easier portion control and looks like more on a smaller plate than it does a small portion on a large plate…..

FWIW like stoner did- ive let my self go(13st 5) over the last year while doing nothing but building my land rover while still eating like i was racing every other week. so im going to spend between now and xmas getting my self back down to 12 stone and get racing again :d

molgrips
    Free Member

looks like more on a smaller plate than it does a small portion on a large plate

I don’t think it matters tbh, at least not to me.

Commitment to losing weight is about dealing with the hunger and the desire to snack. Not serving huge portions is of course one thing but it’s the easiest thing in the world to serve yourself less. What’s far harder is to stop yourself having a Twix from the vending machine two hours later when you’re hungry. Plate size doesn’t do anything for that.

SaxonRider

molgrips – Member
    Does this mean you’ll come on a bike ride with me then?

Yes indeed. I’ll send you a text with some suggested times and we can go from there.

I also agree with what you say about plate/portion size. My problem has always been snacking.

Someone on here said something a while ago about how good it could feel getting used to feeling hungry. Keeping that in mind has helped me immensely, as every time I felt a hunger pang in the past, I would try to fill it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drink a pint of water when you feel like snacking.

teasel
    Free Member

Someone on here said something a while ago about good it could feel getting used to feeling hungry.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

It wasn’t that and it probably wasn’t me but I like it nonetheless and have etched it into my cupboards and ceilings and am thinking about a tattoo in reverse on my forehead…

molgrips
    Free Member

Someone on here said something a while ago about good it could feel getting used to feeling hungry.

Yeah and realising what makes you hungry. Hunger is like a sleeping monster, and sweet things wake it up. I can eat low GI/low carb stuff all day but if I have just a taste of something sweet then the monster awakens and I’m ruddy starving the rest of the day.

trail_rat
    Free Member

” I can eat low GI/low carb stuff all day”

i see the issue……

molgrips
    Free Member

Not continuously all day you pillock 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

😀

mooman
    Free Member

Don`t assume that more riding will mean greater weight loss.
    A good ride will often mean I will have an insatiable appetite for a day or so. A ride that may burn 3000 calories will often mean I crave about 30,000 calories within the following 36hrs.

I decided to take the last 10 days completely off the bike.
    I have lost 4lb in weight as a result.

What helped me drop a significant amount of weight previously, was trying to eliminate as much sugar from my diet as possible. High sugar foods make you feel hungry.

Ps.
    You did not get back about those Sunday rides.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Assuming the calorie usage is the same, the short, sharp stuff will do more muscle damage, this takes energy to repair so you use more fuel up.

HIIT also improves insulin resistance

and glycemic control

MrWoppit
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    so those on the 5:2 diet – how do you cope with riding.

My diet control days are Tuesday and Thursday. I commute by bike and live just over 20 miles away from work. It’s not a problem, but then when I’m commuting, I’m not putting in a huge amount of effort to go particularly fast anyway…

(Just finished today’s apple, as I type).

molgrips
    Free Member

Assuming the calorie usage is the same, the short, sharp stuff will do more muscle damage, this takes energy to repair so you use more fuel up.

Yes, BUT

When I do it, the short sharp stuff depletes muscle glycogen, which stimulates my appetite a lot, sometimes to the point where it’s hard to manage. But I don’t seem able to repair the damage unless I replenish the glycogen stores which means I stay tired and sore, which means I can’t do a very intense workout next time.

I think genetics plays a part here. I’ve got more than average type II muscle fibres which makes me a sprinter. So when I do an intense workout and I sprint flat out I’m probably generating four or five times my lactate threshold power: 1200W vs 220W ish, although those figures are from a while ago. Whereas a chap I work with would only generate three times or less: 650W vs 250W.

So what I am thinking is that the way people ride is quite different, and that might affect the way we recover and consequently what drives our appetite. So HIIT may work well for weight loss for some people, but not others. Doesn’t seem to help me much – I’ve only ever lost a significant amount of weight (more than a stone or so) when I’ve done lots of slower miles.

batousan
    Free Member

Diets alone don’t work long term, they are set up to fail, as soon as you “stop the diet” you either pile back on weight by eating normal or crave stuff you “couldn’t have” there’s also so much bullshit surrounding diet fads floating around and it’s almost impossible to filter it.

The main problem with the word diet is it involves telling your brain you can’t to have something, which makes it a taboo, and humans love breaking taboos! You need to start by deciding you don’t want something in particular anymore for a good reason.

Also, filling in an app with everything you eat is also ridiculous, you really want to spent thousands of hours of your life filling in what you eat during your lifetime? Calorie counting is just another way of licensing to yourself what you will let yourself eat if you “be good” ie. “I’ve only had a salad for lunch so I can have fish and chips later”.

So in mid June ago I took sugar out of my coffee’s and tea’s, stopped having a snickers everyday, replaced my non existent breakfast with a pint of raw fruit and veg juice (sounds hideous but actually delicious), slightly reduced my portion sizes (cutting sugar helped this), slept for 7-8 hours rather than 5-6 per night and starting 25th July I increased my weekly riding by just 2-3 extra hours over the course of each week due to having a boatload more energy from all the changes. Bear in mind I still enjoy a few beers during the week…

I went from from 86 kg to 75, I feel way better and I’m alot faster as a result. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The secrets to weight loss’ is closed to new replies.