Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • The secrets to weight loss
  • SaxonRider

I’ve realised, are manifold.

Some time this past spring, I came on here for some encouragement, and came away with the following advice:

1. Don’t think about weight loss in terms of weeks, but in terms of months and years. That way, you avoid getting discouraged by the short term ups and downs of the scale.

2. Use MyFitnessPal. No matter how much you think you eat, it is extremely helpful to see it in numbers so that you can keep track and pace yourself. This has been a key for me.

3. Don’t worry about a ‘bad’ day; just keep going.

And it seems to be working. Since June, even with the interruption of holidays, I can report that, as of this morning, I have lost 4 kgs. 16 more to go, but I am the lightest I have been for four years.

allthepies
    Free Member

4. Lay off the ale

Pook

5.Have food poisoning twice in three weeks

SaxonRider

@allthepies: Probably true, but while I am happy to drink, I don’t tend to drink very much anyway, so it’s not really an issue for me.

@Pook: That’s just water weight you’re losing. /smug

bearnecessities

Well done 🙂

Can I add:

6. It’s what you eat regularly.

MSP

7, develop a heroin addiction.
    8, use dirty needles and get the bad cat aids.

badnewz
    Free Member

Give up the booze for a month and you will drop half a stone.
    For longer term results, more exercise, less food (smaller portions especially for lunch).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Badnews, surely that depends how much you drink……1 bottle a week . /4 bottles a month habit will not net you a half stone.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Whenever you go to the chippy do 20 good burpees before ordering, once the order process is complete do another 20, dont attempt this on a Friday after 10:30 pm.

rOcKeTdOg

Move more, eat less. It really is that simple

footflaps

I’ve dropped 2kg over the last few months by cutting right back on sugar and alcohol. Did use MFP for a while, but my diet is do predictable I gave up after a few weeks.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you need to make small changes to diet cut out completely the:

booze
    sugar
    processed food
    take aways
    reduce intake

Increase exercise.

To brutely honest 4kg aint much, you dont take breaks for holidays.

Make a life style change. That means your whole life, every day

ton

cut the man made stuff. eat as natural as possible.

vickypea
    Free Member

Well done 🙂

bomberpork
    Free Member

I don’t need to lose weight but I have in the past and the best way of doing it even with cycling to work, mtb 2-5 times a week, gym 3 times, is food.

Food is 80-90% of the problem, you can’t outrun a bad diet.

Don’t eat processed stuff and reduce your protein intake, especially from animal sources.

prettygreenparrot

4kg – well done. keep it up

My Fitness Pal makes it easy to keep a good food and exercise diary. Did you notice the difference over your holidays? Or did you just keep to the calorie limit?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well done. I went from 12 stone to 10.5 in two months with

THIS

Give it a go. 😉

medders
    Free Member

Conversely I managed to lose 1.5 stone (from a peak of 13st) in 3 months whilst making no effort to watch my food intake.

My secret was to be diagnosed with hypothyroidism, then start taking the pills to counteract it and watch the weight drop off and stay off. Fantastic.

Disclaimer: this may not work for everyone.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cut the booze, cut the food, lots of exercise. That’s really the only way.

Most diet schemes that actually work are those that basically make you eat less. Just look at the Weight Watcher meals in the super market. Of course you’ll lose weight if you stick to it, the portions are tiny! 😉

Anyway, the booze and food I’m cutting down a bit right now more after bit of panic over last week from essentially occasional over eating (I hope it was just that) causing some, err, issues. I don’t over eat in that it makes me fat, but I compensate for the exercise by pigging out on large meals. Hence I never shift the weight. Not huge weight, just bang on 11st, but at 5’7″ looking at BMI I’m top end of normal, but not far off over weight. Okay BMI is a bit rubbish, but belly size measurement isn’t. BHF measurement of waist says I’ve got a problem there. Generally it’s the booze that’s been doing that.

Diet is okay. Fairly med style food, plenty of veg, some fruit, and I cook most of the stuff myself, little processed. But it’s the quantity especially all piled up in one big meal end of the day fairly late. It’s not giving things enough time to digest I think. Then I snack a bit too much during the day and go for a ride every few days burning it off and promptly consume the amount I’ve just burnt in another huge meal.

So much smaller meals, spread out more, far less booze, and drink more water during the day (or tea should be okay I’m hoping 😀 ). That’s my plan anyway. Oh and keep up the riding, if not do a bit more. I get average of 3 rides a week at the moment, off road, 2 to 4 hours of riding each.

ourmaninthenorth

Food is 80-90% of the problem, you can’t outrun a bad diet.

It’s this. It really is.

I masked a bad diet for years when doing

lots of exercise

. But now I’m unable to do anywhere near what I once did, 30 odd years of poor eating caught up with me pretty rapidly.

Which for me makes changing dietary habits all the harder. The intellectual “I know eating this is a bad choice” knowledge is hard to compete against such an unconcious way of life.

Good work OP. Stick at it..!

core

I lost a stone between March and July, and have stayed there ever since, have been eating less than before March, but more than in the period where I lost the weight, am still riding once or twice a week.

Lack of motivation (work etc), too much other crap going on, spending too much time on here and fantasising about the perfect bike for the type of riding I do rather than riding the perfectly good ones I’ve got, and diving into the fridge/cupboard when bored/a bit down have put pay to any more weight shedding.

I’m going to commit to ride 3 times a week and cut food intake down again from this weekend, I want to lose another stone at least by Christmas. Once you’re in the habit, and the pounds are coming off, it just works, you get into it, and the weigh falls off.

miketually
    Free Member

1. Eat a crapton of vegetables.
    2. Do something active and fun every day.

http://zenhabits.net/healthy/

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a reasonable diet but beer is my friend.
    During winter/injury the belly arrives and the weight goes up so after 8-10 slow weeks I’ve been back up north, diet about the same but the effect of riding every day is great.

Maybe it’s over simplified but the myfitness pal idea is spot on, consume less than you use.

yossarian
    Free Member

a. eat healthy (every day) – diet is the absolute key IMO. Making good decisions routinely if you are used to routinely making bad ones can take a while but something like MFP is a massive bonus for this.
    b. avoid booze as much as possible
    c. use something like MFP to track calories and fat/sugar etc intake
    d. loads of exercise

I’ve lost 10kg (still another 10 to go!) since the middle of June and I reckon without MFP it would not have happened. Being able to track what you are eating and, more crucially, what its got in it has been incredibly useful. I also quit smoking in the middle of June so the urge to snack was pretty damn strong for a while! I had, as I think its past tense now, very little self control with food previously. MFP lets you see the consequences of ramming half a pack of digestives down your neck which I found very useful as a motivator.

keep on it OP.

trailmonkey

everything that yossarian says ^^^^^^

dont use MFP myself but can’t see how it can hurt.

rather thank think of it as a diet, choose meals that are lower in calories than you normally eat but that are meals that you will carry on eating once the weight is off. easier than you think, find out what veg gives you the least calories and eat veg rather than meat – veg chilli, veg fajitas, veg curry etc.

if you really want to keep it all off once you’ve lost it then best tell yourself that you don’t drink anymore (except on special oocasions).

molgrips
    Free Member

Does this mean you’ll come on a bike ride with me then? 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

calorie counting sound mind numbingly boring. How the hell anyone is supposed to accurately track how many calories they eating is beyond me. What about eating out/restaurants? Do people really log that into an app every time they go out?

The biggest change that helped me was replacing cereals/toast/fruit juice for eggs in the morning. essentially stopping insulin spikes

mactheknife

And nobody has mentioned Clenbuterol yet 🙂 Joking!

lunge

Eat clean, eat small meals regularly, cut the processed crap out, do intensive exercise (as opposed to long, easy cardio). Also, don’t think of it as a diet, it’s a change to what you do long term.

My wife has dropped 4 stone doing this and turned herself from a bit of a slob to a sub 40 minute 10k beast.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“What about eating out/restaurants? Do people really log that into an app every time they go out?”

how often do you actually eat out though ?

The part i find hard about logging is that most if not all of my meals are made from scratch and more often than not – not to a recipe.

my top tip – buy smaller plates.

rone

It’s incredibly hard to lose weight cycling.

You have to work at a good intensity for a few rides and for 10+ hours a week in my world.

Only then did I lose 1/2 stone over 6 months.

Unless you just don’t each much ever and can ride – then you’re better than me.

5 mins to eat a kit-kat – one hour to take it off.

molgrips
    Free Member

my top tip – buy smaller plates.

For people who mindlessly eat out of habit and are not really hungry that might work. However most people keep eating until they feel satisfied, and if you have smaller plates you’ll end up simply snacking anyway.

I dunno about you but my body’s definitely not that easily fooled! I can easily serve myself less, but then I’ll still be hungry. Plate size makes no difference.

teasel
    Free Member

It’s incredibly hard to lose weight cycling.

I found this to be the case, too. I lost significantly more fat by adopting a very brisk walking regime; much more noticeable fat loss and muscle development on anything below the waist.

Edit : And above the waist – my gut disappeared in no time. About an 8 – 10 mile walk twice maybe three times a week. Two sharp climbs thrown in, obviously.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Just doing

THIS

again, and pointing out that it DOESN’T require that you cut down on your usual diet except for just two days per week.

Eat, drink and be merry slim. 😀

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Easy don’t calorie restrict below rda you’ll only damage your metabolism and get fatter afterwards. Eat meats with very low fat,chicken fillets,tuna,salmon,flank steak, with green vegetables or salad (no dressings or mayo). And eggs lots of eggs. No pops or juice drinks.
    I went from 13’10 to 11’0 in a few weeks. It was easy while my wife sat crying in the kitchen working out what food she could squeeze into the weight watcher points she had left for the day.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

‘phet and gabba

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Easy don’t calorie restrict below rda you’ll only damage your metabolism and get fatter afterwards

Nope. I still keep up the 5:2 diet. I use the two dieting days to control my weight and keep it at a constant 10.5 stone.

Just Do It

yossarian
    Free Member

“What about eating out/restaurants? Do people really log that into an app every time they go out?”

yes, it takes 30 seconds and (I feel) helps me keep in control of my health.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Just doing

THIS

again, and pointing out that it DOESN’T require that you cut down on your usual diet except for just two days per week.

It’s a fasting diet. It’s still just cutting down on how much you eat, and that’s why it works. Though not sure fasting for a couple of days is good for you.

Sancho
    Free Member

whats the difference between long steady rides v short intensity stuff?

how is one going to lose weight more than the other?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The secrets to weight loss’ is closed to new replies.