Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • the school tell me that miniG boy is overweight..
  • GrahamS

If they want to cover such an individual subject as your boy’s weight with such a mass-mailing, cover-all letter as this, make them address it appropriately at an individual, personal level.

School highlights a potential health issue with your child.

Respond by being a complete arse.

Yeah that sounds reasonable.

🙄

slowoldgit
    Free Member

School takes shotgun approach.

Respond as concerned parent.

D0NK

i am 12st 8lbs and 5ft 10 and just over weight apparantly

I’m 6’2″ and 12st8lb is a target weight for me which I managed for a while when at my fittest, currently hovering around 13. While I spent most of my early twenties 2 stone heavier lots of people said I didn’t have an ounce of fat on me. I rode my bike a fair bit so friends and family thought I was fit, the fact I was ramming pies and beer down my neck at an impressive rate didn’t seem to count. People generally have no clue about weight.

Yeah BMI is a blunt tool but it may be worth looking properly at your weight and diet if BMI says something is wrong. If a GP checks you out and says you’re fine no harm done.

GrahamS

School takes shotgun approach.

He have they taken a shotgun approach. They have just informed the OP where his son is in relation to nationally published criteria.

I can’t really see what’s wrong with that.

I understand they take a similar approach to exams.

Junkyard
    Free Member

5 ft 10 and 10 1/2 stone ….according to some on here i can put on 20% more body weight and still not be overweight.

by passing on the information they hope to pass on any responsibility

What an arse about tit logic you have here.

School informs parent of issue about child ….parent accuses school of passing on responsibility in shitty letter blaming them for activity levels and the like…..oh the ironing……trust me this happens they do blame the school. Sat there with two fat **** and a fat child telling us that its our fault – or of course that the BMI is rubbish.
    Its often someone elses fault that someone is fat.

jag61

You know him best, my kids change daily,hormonal girls 8O, are you worried? if not, continue as normal. there should be an ‘underheight ‘column in these charts, and a health warning!

njee20
    Free Member

It does seem to me that a lot of people like the “BMI is total bobbins because rugby players come out as obese” defence, burying head in sand…?

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not the school, it’s the National Child Measurement Programme.

tonyg2003

Good link Miketually I’ve just read the NCMP simple guide (16pages :)).

I think that “BMI is relatively cheap to obtain and easy to calculate” says much about this programme.

I know that childhood obesity is a major issue for healthcare and actually I’d like to see more funding and a better test.

matt_bl
    Free Member

tonyg2003 – Member

Good link Miketually I’ve just read the NCMP simple guide (16pages :)).

I think that “BMI is relatively cheap to obtain and easy to calculate” says much about this programme.

I know that childhood obesity is a major issue for healthcare and actually I’d like to see more funding and a better test.

It’s also very practical to carry out and does not require the tester to even touch the kids. Probably a consideration in this day and age, unfortunately.

Matt

GrahamS

You mean they can’t just slap the kids and time how long it takes them to stop wobbling? 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘the school tell me that miniG boy is overweight..’ is closed to new replies.