Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The sad times form my MTB – I have tried trail running…
  • medoramas
    Free Member

What a blast! I’ve never been a runner, I tried it ones a year ago (on roads, in very inappropriate shoes) and did not like it really – especially the 4-days pain after… But I’ve always been thinking about giving a trail running a go one day. So it happened, I bough some decent shoes for the current conditions and I went for my first run last weekend…

Since then I ran almost every day and I love it so much! I can definitely say – it is as fun as MTB, with the added bonus of not having to wash the bike after!

Poor bike probably need the wheels to be spun a bit to move the sealant in the tyres…

Anyone else discovered this sport recently? I know a fair bit of mountain bikers who are also very good trail runners. Maybe that’s a trick to become a better rider? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

it is as fun as MTB

Purely subjective, in your opinion.

In my opinion, MTBing is way more fun, and doesn’t flare up all my old football knee and ankle issues.

woody74

I have just started to include a small amount of trail on my normal road run and have to say that it has made it so much more interesting. Then again running is boring but it does keep me fit and much easier to fit in than half a day biking.

GregMay
    Free Member

Trail or fell?

One is good, one is better.

medoramas
    Free Member

Trail or fell?

At the moment just my local woods, which are my MTB trails (plenty of good singletracks, roots, rocks and steep ups and downs). And mainly night running at the moment 😉

If I get a bit more confident running down the steep bits I’ll give a fell running a try!

sssimon
    Free Member

I’m on the move from trail to fell, road is good, trail is better, fell is still on the painful side of awesome but 2017 will be the year of running up and down mountains for me.

km79
    Free Member

it is as fun as MTB

You’ve obviously been doing MTB wrong all this time then!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t like running, but I do like trail running.

Happy to run round my local woods I ride MTB on, I run the trails I usually ride. It’s quite good fun, generally cover a lot less distance for a lot more suffering.

Also has the added bonus of the locals not having anything to mug me for 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve never been much of a runner, in fact my other half who can manage a half marathon from time to time didn’t believe me when I told her that I couldn’t run…. that is until she saw me actually ‘running’ and said afterwards that I looked like an injured daddylonglegs bashing up against a window..

Anyway.. we tried a bit of careful trail running and mixed it up with some scrambling and tree climbing and just general mucking about and it’s done absolute wonders for my knackered knee..

I still don’t indulge in any regular running but my knee is much stronger meaning that I can manage far longer on the bike than I’ve been able to for years

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been getting in to off road running for the last year or so.

I am not sure what I’d call it apart from running on the local moors, or up and down big hills.

The mtb has certainly seen its usage drop dramatically over the last year. Too much faff compared to running, and takes or so much more time too.

Just started racing, in the local winter league. So far the venues have been a cross of fell/XC all in one.

Running races cost next to nothing to enter, and I just find the whole thing a lot more chilled/less up its own arse than bike racing.

Edit: Have to say though, whenever I do go back out on the mtb, I probably enjoy it even more as I certainly appear to be fitter from the running.

monde
    Free Member

Funny you mention this! Started fell running a couple of years ago to keep fit when off the bike. Started doing it more and more, entered a few races and now completely hooked.
    Found it to be the most unpretentious/social sport where you pay a couple of quid for a race, push your body to places you never thought existed and follow it up with a cup of tea or pint and a piece of cake!
    Have found I now use the bike as a recovery tool for my running which I have even surprised myself at!
    However running on the road is the definition of purgatory.

ahsat

Totally with you. Signed up for a charity trail race this year, which my family thought was hilarious as I hate, and am rubbish, at running. Basically saw it as an excuse to buy some new kit 😛 However I have to say I really enjoy it. Only running I did in the past was on road or school running both of which I absolutely hated. Trail running I can really see the appeal. However the 10k highlighted a real problem with my hip as a consequence of lots of back issues over the last 3.5 years, so not run since until physio gives me the nod, but can’t wait to get back out. Already plan to treat myself to some Rocklites when I’m allowed out!

Stainypants

I started trail/ fell running as part of my marathon training at the beginning of the year. I love it, i’ve run three half-0 marathon plus length races recently, planing to run the three peaks fell race in 2017. Your right about the down to earth nature and inclusiveness of fell running. There’s definitely no trainer snobbery.

One plus point is that it’s great for checking out cheeky MTB trails.

zippykona

You’ll do yourself a mischief at some point and be back on the bike.
    Running is dangerous.

stcolin
    Free Member

Trail runner here 🙂

Starting running properly (outside of football training) last year when I ran the Manchester marathon. In the summer this year I bought a pair of trail shoes and ran a few trail runs. Really enjoyed them and will be doing a few more next year. Much more interesting than road running. Fell running is another step up, might try a few of those too.

Still much prefer the mountain bike though, by a long way 😀

mogrim

What’s the difference between fell and trail running? Genuine question – a quick Wiki seems to suggest that the former is on unmarked courses and requires a bit of navigation, right?

Anyway I prefer trail running to MTB, much more fun. And painful.

Rubber_Buccaneer

it is as fun as MTB

You’d probably like road riding too you weirdo 🙂

jobro
    Free Member

If you did your first run last Saturday and you’ve run almost every day since I can only assume you are going to feel the pain pretty soon.
    Just got in from an hour off road run in North Devon. All of the benefits of running listed above are spot on, but for me running will only be an adjunct to riding, never a replacement.
    Keep it up though.If you enjoy it that much do more,do longer and do harder!

ahwiles
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    What’s the difference between fell and trail running? Genuine question – a quick Wiki seems to suggest that the former is on unmarked courses and requires a bit of navigation, right?

yeah, more or less…

or, trail running looks like this:

and you do it in places like California, in the sunshine.

fell running looks like this:

and you do it in the North of England, in winter.

mogrim

How about when it’s pissing down and muddy in central Spain?

Trimix
    Free Member

If Im in the woods without my mountain bike, something serious has gone wrong.

dragon
    Free Member

The jury’s still out for me. Yes the lack of faff, cost and not needing the latest boost, 27.5+ or whatever else is currently polluting mtbing is great. But then you get to a downhill and suddenly you wish you had a mtb as it just makes so much more sense.

spacemonkey

Been trail running on and off for years. Much like MTBing and road biking – I generally love doing it but will dip out when fancying a change.

Most of my road running has been country lanes – which is okay, but not nearly as much fun as heading into the wilds.

Recently started night running straight from the office after work. Strangely the darkness coupled with the constant buzz of pedestrians/traffic is making me run about 10-15% quicker. Really weird. If it’s not that that’s doing it then I don’t know what is.

Anyway, as others have said already, +1 for trail running.

ahsat

But then you get to a downhill and suddenly you wish you had a mtb as it just makes so much more sense.

I choose both my walking and running routes to avoid bridleways when possible and then I know I couldn’t ride them on the bike anyway.

dragon
    Free Member

I choose both my walking and running routes to avoid bridleways when possible

There is no such distinction where I live 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like Trail Running.

I started about 6 years ago when I was on a very long project and unable to just jump on the bike at any time, day or night. So rather than get fat, eat pies and drink beer I went downstairs (from the office) into Runners World, bought some Salomon SppedX3’s, and used my long legs from the bike, and old riding jersey and hit the woods.. Brilliant. Instant fitness boost to run off the fug. Developed from there, ran and rode at the same time, occasionally I’d pick up an injury from strains but over time they lessened. Now I run once, maybe twice a week. Short 30-60min sessions in the woods.
    Love it.
    Been to some great places, did the South Coast path from Swanage to Weymouth, bloody Greta that was.. and met other trail runners along the way.

I’ve got some decent kit now, more comfortable kit and it fits within my “time off the bike” phase I’m going through at the moment.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Awkward git question here. How is trail running different from normal running? Is putting your daps on and running round the woods. Is it just a new trendy name for something that we have done for years? Just jealous as my knees don’t allow me to run up the garden now without regretting it for a week.

mogrim

Awkward git question here. How is trail running different from normal running? Is putting your daps on and running round the woods. Is it just a new trendy name for something that we have done for years?

It’s a bit of an all-encompassing phrase – I’d include the aforementioned fell running as a type of trail running, as well as running round the local woods. Basically anything that’s not asphalt or groomed paths. When it comes to racing though I’d expect a trail race to include at least one bit where you end up walking.

gelert
    Free Member

I got injured at a MTB race this season and had the best part of two months in a thumb / wrist split then slow recovery back on the bike afterwards.

My other half had been running for a while so I joined her just to try to keep hold of some fitness. Being outside was also preferable to sitting in the garage on the Turbo in July/August!

I’ve managed to get to the point where a 5-10km run won’t have any pain the next day at a medium pace. I don’t want to go “at my pace” because I will get injured and I see running as a nice thing to do with the other half.

When we run together we do mild trail. We try to go on at least one 5km together a week. When I go off on the MTB she’ll run by herself.

On my own I’ve run the new 10km trail run at Llandegla and it’s great fun. I need to try doing the run then bike it next year.

I prefer to run from the door than drive somewhere first.

Overall I find MTB loads more fun but I’ve surprised myself with the running and a 5km 30 minute run is easier to fit in with only minimal kit to wash. It’s definitely not worth the cleaning involved for a 30 minute bike ride at this time of year.

I think running has improved my endurance on the bike too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The sad times form my MTB – I have tried trail running…’ is closed to new replies.