Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 310 total)
  • The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives
  • wwaswas

Manufacturers will be spitting nails.

It’s not like it’s only early adopters using disks on the road now, either, there’ll be a lot of pee’d off riders.

http://road.cc/content/news/186893-disc-brakes-banned-french-sportives-including-letape-du-tour

tthew

There’s got to be an emerging market for carbon fibre protective fairings developing from this on-going story.

If any of you ‘things I have made’ thread contributors profit from my idea, I want a cut.

ransos
    Free Member

What are they going to do about the large disc covered in sharp teeth?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Except that’d just lead to overheating calipers/disks?

Mehhh, unless they’re closed roads, you could wind them up twice over and just go ride anyway without paying, with the now obvious get out of jail free card if anyone asked “no, I’m no freeloading off your sportive, look I’m using disks, therefore not part of your sportive at all”.

dazh

wilburt
    Free Member

Consider it an unavoidable risk with known outcomes and not introduce more risks of a similar nature?

Other than whataboutery do you have any points to make.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tell the riders to MTFU and stop using the granny ring.

JoB
    Free Member

where the hell am i going to get rim brakes for my fatbike?

wwaswas

Stopping pedaling gives about 3g of deceleration, ime, Jo.

I’ve had to start using extra strong fixative to stop my dentures flying out.

lardman
    Free Member

Just stick yer foot in behind the crown of the fork Jo. You’re not likely to be going that quick anyway, right?

😆 Lee.

dragon
    Free Member

Tell the riders to MTFU and stop using the granny ring.

😆 😆 😆

It’s a fair point though as the chain does a remarkably good job of covering a good 3/4 of the teeth.

ransos
    Free Member

Consider it an unavoidable risk with known outcomes and not introduce more risks of a similar nature?

It’s not unavoidable: there is a picture of the solution on this thread.

RustySpanner

You can’t put a fairing on, they’d boil.
    Enclosed discs could be useful as a portable grill on long trips.
    Perhaps the Scottoiler chaps could find a way of rerouting burger grease to the chain?

Surely you could just uglify the discs a bit with some expandable protective beading?
    I think B&Q might have a sale on.

Flog ’em to the lookalikes as ‘Disc Protectors’ and claim some spurious aerodynamic advantage.
    There might even be a new standard in it.

monkeyboyjc

This really is pathetic – has any one on here ever been ‘sliced open’ by a disc brake?
    With the amount of times i crash Its an injury I for one would certainly expect to have been inflicted with in the last 2yrs of using disc brakes – can’t say I’ve every heard of any mtb’er getting cut up like those rodies are going on about.
    Now branding on the other hand……

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

F1-style Halo device on fork blade to protect riders from rotors, but give cooling airflow? 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

has any one on here ever been ‘sliced open’ by a disc brake?

I did cut my hand on one a while back in a bungled bike maintenance manoeuvre.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

has any one on here ever been ‘sliced open’ by a disc brake?

No, but then how many of you have ended up under a pile of a dozen or more bikes after a 50kph crash?

No?

Only me then?
    Ah well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

More importantly, what are they going to do about that hard road thing?

dazh

what are they going to do about that hard road thing?

Require everyone to wear a protective layer of thin stretchy material?

40mpg

No, but then how many of you have ended up under a pile of a dozen or more bikes after a 50kph crash?
    No?

Only me then?
    Ah well.

In a sportive? Hopefully no-one, ever

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You seen some sportive riders 😯

(and i meant in a road race, but you knew that.)

zanelad
    Free Member

Something like this shouldn’t tax the designers/manufacturers too much….

ads678

No?

Only me then?
    Ah well.

So that’s 100% of STW riders have never been “sliced open by a disc brake” in race conditions then!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My mate once burnt his hand (he touched it to see if it was hot 🙄 ) on an MTB disc rotor when he got to the bottom of an alpine ride. Does that count?

wwaswas

I’m surprised TimK’s not posted…

retro83
    Free Member

Is there any footage of Fran Ventoso’s crash? Just puzzling how a disc rotor could cause a deep cut like that. Maybe if the edge had notches in it I suppose.

edit:

just seen this:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/teams-cast-doubts-on-whether-disc-brakes-caused-francisco-ventosos-paris-roubaix-injury-221630

Seems other teams aren’t convinced either

lunge

Sliced? No, cut? Yes, in fact it was a combined cut and branding from a hot disc. It was off road mind you, and it was going too fast, down an unfamiliar hill on a bike I didn’t know.

Bloody hurt that did, I still have the scare to prove it.

fasthaggis

My mate A very young child once burnt his hand (he touched it to see if it was hot ) on an MTB disc rotor when he got to at the bottom of an alpine ride. Does that count? 🙂

wilburt
    Free Member

Nobody who uses a bike as a bit of sports equipment bought a disc bike anyway, they can still be made and will be bought by anyone who wants one.

Whats the problem?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Awaits the arrival of Tim “Fingers” Kershaw to the rhread*…

xyeti
    Free Member

Maybe they’ll be banning these on the Fred Whitton next, and it’s fine trying to make your square pegs fit round holes but burying yourself on a sportive under dozens of bikes at 50KPH is commendable.

What I cannot fathom out is this? WHY are rim brakes now deemed to be inadequate for descending when up until fairly recently they have been fine? The UCI called for a ban on disks and now the French follow suit, what did everyone expect them to do overrule and challenge them?

I personally cannot see the point of Disks on a lightweight bike intended for road riding / racing. How many descents will be longer and faster this year than previous years?
    At what point did someone actually think “Do you know what, I’m just too fast for that and it’s not capable of stopping me safely”

I’m not an expert in this field as others are but my feeling is that the whole Safety thing is an excuse to out them and also to dissipate their own heat from dangerous motor bikes getting in the way of proceedings.

wwaswas

up until fairly recently they have been fine tolerated as the only reasonably reliable and readily available solution

xyeti
    Free Member

So why didn’t All the Pro teams have everything lined up at the start of the season and roll out this new tolerated braking system?

mikey74
    Free Member

I personally cannot see the point of Disks on a lightweight bike intended for road riding / racing. How many descents will be longer and faster this year than previous years?
    At what point did someone actually think “Do you know what, I’m just too fast for that and it’s not capable of stopping me safely”

It would be nice to have a braking system that didn’t eat away at a key, structural part of the bike every time you used them.

As I’ve always said: Disc brakes are largely pointless for professional racers, but would be beneficial to Joe or Jane Average Bike Owner.

matts
    Free Member

Just stick yer foot in behind the crown of the fork Jo. You’re not likely to be going that quick anyway, right?

Just use your hands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2egAVMoswg

simon_g

Mandate 1×11? Can’t get hit by a tooth if the chain is in the way!

Besides, it’s France. Compliance with rules is optional anyway.

theotherjonv

What I cannot fathom out is this? WHY are rim brakes now deemed to be inadequate for descending when up until fairly recently they have been fine?

You’re so right. Bring back wooden rimmed wheels, I’m sure they were once deemed adequate.

Seriously. Inadequate > adequate > good > better > best

No-one’s saying you can’t opt for rim brakes, just that there is a new alternative. Except there isn’t any more because someone’s knee-jerkily decided they aren’t safe, when so far I’ve only seen one piece of evidence that they aren’t, and that evidence (one rider’s opinion) was then immediately discredited when the same rider said someone else had had the same happen with the same results only for it to be proved there was an entirely different cause!

MoreCashThanDash

Disc brakes are largely pointless for professional racers, but would be beneficial to Joe or Jane Average Bike Owner

In terms of racing performance – this.

Those recent pro crashes with the disc rotor injuries are looking increasingly like a joke – one crash not even involving one of the teams with disc brakes fitted.

If the pros don’t want them, then fine, but don’t blame injuries on things that weren’t even there.

wilburt
    Free Member

Same ridiculous arguments as in every orher disc thread, bottom line- If the users wanted them you wouldn’t need convince them.

What I can’t figure out is why someone who uses a bike in one way, should get so upset by what sort of braking system someone who uses a bike completely differently prefers!?!

mcobie
    Free Member

I have a disc equipped road bike. I can categorically say that they make me a far more confident rider, can descend better and brake in a more controlled (less panicky) manner and as such am a much safer rider, especially when in groups.

I’m not sure they’re required in the pro peloton, but to start banning them in sportives or amateur events is wrong.

It’ll be interesting to see what manufacturers do in response to this…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘The road disk debacle continues – banned from French Sportives’ is closed to new replies.