Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The Ridgeway route/trail advice
  • benp1

Thinking of a walk and bivvy this weekend with the dog, haven’t done the ridgeway before. Will obviously only be doing part of it, looking for some advice from anyone who knows it

Was thinking of train to Goring and heading North East, then walk to somewhere like Princes Risborough, Wendover or Tring and train home, or might be able to blag a lift home

Does anyone know what that section of the Ridgeway is like? My tent isn’t very subtle or stealth, dog prefers that to a tarp but haven’t written off the tarp entirely. I need an area fairly quiet and remote to be able to bivvy out in peace

Also, is the trail Classic Chilterns rolling hills at that point? Presuming it is but some inside knowledge would be great. Green lovely countryside is good

If the weather is looking rubbish I might need an entirely different plan, but I like the idea of avoiding hours of driving just for one night if possible

Squirrel

I would have said that west of Goring is more remote, and has the extensive views. North east of Goring the “Ridgeway” mostly follows the foot of the escarpment.

petec
    Free Member

Personally (and I’m biased obviously) I’d head west from streatley. In two days you’ll make Swindon easily. And it’s a lot quieter than the other side of the Thames.

benp1

I think I’d prefer that, but I’m hoping that I can get to the start and end points via public transport, and that I can take the dog on

My walks are normally circular so driving is easy

Any good options for getting from Swindon station to the ridgeway? Or any other public transport ridgeway options?

benp1

Hmmm, just found this site – http://www.cartogold.co.uk/nationaltrails/ridgeway.htm

Local knowledge still welcome though!

hooli

I know the part near Goring reasonably well and would agree that west would be a better option for quiet walking and plenty of good spots to camp.

I don’t think you will have any issue wild camping, there are always people camping when I cycle some of the route on summer evenings.

Some info here:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/routes

Enjoy

petec
    Free Member

this would be quite useful – it’s a walk that disturbs us all in the village every year.

But it provides a lot of info on going west. Decent maps etc.

jimwah
    Free Member

Wendover to Tring is quite a wooded section, once you get toward Ivinghoe it eventually opens right out onto rolling hills up to the Beacon. Might not be your thing, but there is a campsite a short walk off the trail at the Ivinghoe end ‘Town Farm’.

I like the idea of doing something similar, but a bit concerned about getting a right bollocking from a land-owner!

petec
    Free Member

here you go – more info.

should be able to find somewhere to pitch a tent when it’s like

which is Roden Downs, just west of Streatley. Lovely spot for an evening ride. Into the setting sun, nobody around, and no roads for a good few miles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘The Ridgeway route/trail advice’ is closed to new replies.