Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The Ridgeway
  • dsb181
    Free Member

Last year I did Avebury to Streatley but plan to ride the full Ridgeway in the next few weeks.
    I want to ride the top end from Watlington to Tring and back today/tomorrow but have heard that it goes a bit foggy with bridleways changing to footpaths ect. Could somebody point me in the right direction of a file or any advice on if it is actually permissible/ I can get away with riding the full distance on the Ridgeway rather than having to duck off on the other routes.
    Thanks all

drofluf
    Free Member

According to this: http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/information you can’t cycle much of it East of Streatley.

The Harvey’s map is worth getting if you want to do the whole length

dsb181
    Free Member

Yes this is what I was thinking, I just wanted to know how people were finding linking up the sections that are permissible to ride. I’m just going to draw a route on bike hike and see how I get on.

TheWrongTrousers

Hi
    I live near Tring and know the trails pretty well. The Ridgeway is well signposted but once you get East of Princes Risborough a lot of the Bridleways change to footpaths. Personally I would ride them anyway, very rarely get any grief and the trails are excellent. If I were you I would do that but avoid doing it at weekends because some sections will be quite busy with walkers, especially around Coombe Hill and Wendover.
    Some locals that walk on Coombe Hill get stroppy about bikes but go mid-week and you’ll see virtually nobody. I’ve never had any grief anywhere else.
    In comparison to the footpaths the bridleways are a bit dull and will have been churned up by horses.

dsb181
    Free Member

Hi there, I really don’t like using footpaths so have made a route which is about 50 miles from Watlington to Wiggington and back.
    It uses as much of the Ridgeway as possible but links on the Icknield way and some of the Chilterns Way roads.
    Thanks for the help all

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘The Ridgeway’ is closed to new replies.