Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • The Revenant (may contain spoilers, but not from me!)
  • BoardinBob

j4mie
    Free Member

Went on too long, predictable, caught myself falling asleep a few times, breathing on the camera….

And if he does get the Oscar, well I can wheeze just as good as he does?

Annoying, as I like Leo in most of his other things.

rone

This film is the absolute expression of a cinematic experience. The actual story is secondary to the tone and texture of the film.

Everything is elevated by extraordinarily complex composition and staging. I really do not know how they achieved such staggering camera work – especially given the conditions.

This will be a classic in time to come. I feel cinematic boundaries have been pushed here for all the right reasons.

Hardy was the weakest element for me. He didn’t carry off the necessary menace for an antagonist to be worth the pursuit.

BigDummy
    Free Member

extraordinarily complex composition and staging

I wish I understood how to make films better. I honestly think it would really make me enjoy them more. I sort-of understand how to take still photos (not well enough to do it), but I’m very clueless about film.

🙂

rone

Big Dummy – think about this – you can hide so much with editing, it’s a films’ get out clause. A scene of someone shooting an arrow is one shot then reset and for a follow up shot of someone taking the arrow. Two individual shots then timed up and CUT to make a sequence.

Where the Revenant scores is the amount of action it puts into one ‘take’ or scene whilst the camera is rolling. So co-oridinating all the movements of the cast and camera become theatrical and precise. People falling out of trees in the same take as horses trotting past – all whilst the camera is moving and being focussed – in the muddy snow hell!

I run a production company, and know how tricky it is sometimes to shoot one interview in one warm room… What they’ve done here is off the scale. I guess it’s why the budget doubled.

Of course it makes for a more believable and gripping film. That’s not to say it means the film will be good that’s down to the individual but it’s part of the conviction of the material – do you believe Dicaprio went through this ? The artistry in this for me was so convincing as to draw me in more so than a regular film experience.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thinking about it, there was a lot of that sort of thing. That’s interesting, I shall keep in mind.

TheFlyingOx

Where the Revenant scores is the amount of action it puts into one ‘take’ or scene whilst the camera is rolling. So co-oridinating all the movements of the cast and camera become theatrical and precise. People falling out of trees in the same take as horses trotting past – all whilst the camera is moving and being focussed – in the muddy snow hell!

Yeah, I’m going to have to go ahead and say that’s probably not what happened. Alejandro González Iñárritu’s previous film, Birdman, looks like it was all shot in one go. It wasn’t, but clever editing makes it look that way
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4oBjtcUTQ0[/video]
    Given he has previous it’s not a great leap of faith to believe that he used the same techniques in The Revenant.

rone

Ox – bit of confusion here: Birdman is shot to make it look like it’s one take. Invisible edits make it appear to be one take. However the individual takes are still long and complex.

As for Revenant – the intention is not one long take like Birdman – just long complex scenes/set-ups per take.

There was the odd invisible edit but still incredible film making.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Saw it last night. Very impressive in many ways but the second half needed more story/plot and less almost-death.

+1 Some scenes didn’t quite work – eg. camera work on the final fight was annoying.

First 10 mins, the bear scene, and the horse sleeping bag were absolutely brilliant though.

Pigface
    Free Member

Opening scene in Heat is a continuous take, havent seen this film but the trailer makes it look like a snowy bog so to do long takes with lots of action would be very difficult.

iain1775
    Free Member

I liked it
    I couldn’t help but think Cormac McCarthy whilst I was watching it, was like a cinematic version of one of his books (not a lot happens at times but the scene setting keeps you engaged)

anagallis_arvensis

Saw this last night I enjoyed it. But can anyone help me the bit at the end with the stick and the dead body? What western was this copied from? Oh and “i thought they smelled bad on the outside”.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, is all I can say. Loved the landscapes etc, but thought it dragged on and on.

donald
    Free Member

Nice Oscar tribute – needs sound…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvMt6VAv4Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

v8ninety

😀 that’s ACE!

Drac

Better than the film itself.

holst
    Free Member

was boringly crap

jambalaya
    Free Member

wilburt
    Free Member

I enjoyed it very much but I like westerns and I like epics so it was always going to my thing.

CheesybeanZ

Bit late to the party ..

Long dragged out film that you just want to end because you can only put up with “OMG! He survived, again” so many times. Beautifully filmed though.

+1

DezB
    Free Member

Very late! (Wondered why this appeared back at the top of my threads started list).
    Guess you can’t’ve seen it at the cinema – watched on TV with my son recently and it’s not the same film, much less involving. Especially the “one take” battle scene – however the bear looked less CGI on the small screen.
    Still brilliant though.

ps. ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ is getting a new cinema release. I’d love to see that on the big screen, so hoping it gets shown down here.

shermer75
    Free Member

ps. ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest’ is getting a new cinema release. I’d love to see that on the big screen, so hoping it gets shown down here.

Good shout! Will look out for this 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘The Revenant (may contain spoilers, but not from me!)’ is closed to new replies.