Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • The return of the rigid fork?
  • amedias
    Free Member

emac65 – Member
    When I see someone riding with a rigid fork over bumpy terrain or whatever, I’m not in awe of them regardless of how skillful they think they are,I just think what an idiot…..

emac65 – Member
    I also ride with rigid forks, at times

idiot…

😛

ampthill

He didn’t say he used rigid forks on bumpy terrain

tazzymtb

I’m not in awe of them

why do you think they give a toss what someone else thinks about them? some folks just ride bikes ‘cos they enjoy it you know rather than some sort of alpha male pissing contest that many on narrowmindedtrackworld seem to be involved in 🙄

angryratio
    Free Member

I’ve spent a fair bit chopping and changing.
    The only fork i miss is a set of 2005 mx pro’s which were beautifully bedded in.
    Currently running a set of on one rigids.

Nick

I’ve seen plenty of riders, with rigid forks, making mincemeat out of people of 5+ inches of suspension, christ I’m a crap rider and I managed to lose someone on an Specialized Enduro on the last decent at ByC on a 15 year old singlespeed, and enjoyed Llandegla rigid kona caldera.

The bottom line is that it’s not about the bike.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The bottom line is that a rigid fork on a low end bike means more profit for the manufacturers, **** all to do with anything else.

rOcKeTdOg

Fully Rigid Woodpile by rOcKeTdOgUk, on flickr

I used the above at a trail centre yesterday, it was great fun, really enjoyed it, i’ve never ridden a trail centre rigid before, I didn’t miss the sus forks, however..i would have been faster with them

Oh, yes amedias i’m an idiot, but an out there riding a bike rather than judging one 8)

racefaceec90

i will be fitting a rigid salsa cromo fork/or equivalent to my duster sometime next year (as i remember the old days of riding fully rigid 😉

Bagstard
    Free Member

Jeez, it always ends up with a bit of hating on this forum! Answering the op, cheap sus forks weigh twice as much, but offer little to no gain over a rigid fork, waste of time.

I have an alpine 160 which I can use for really rough days, but have just gone down the rigid with a big front tyre route and I’m really enjoying it. Local trails become new and exciting, then I can swap the wheels and use it to commute. I fully intend to use it for some bigger days out, maybe not the fastest, but still plenty fun!

Keva
    Free Member

having recently used several low end hire bikes with cheap Suntour forks fitted to them I can certainly say that a much lighter and rigid fork would vastly improve the performace of the bike. Cheap forks are heavy, do not move through the travel properly and make an otherwise decent bike quite cumbersome.

Kev

amedias
    Free Member

Oh, yes amedias i’m an idiot, but an out there riding a bike rather than judging one

damn you and your not having to be at work!

I have a week off next week, I’ll be riding (my rigid) bike every day so I can build up some Karma points for the evenings job of being an Internet Judgementalist…

Northwind

FunkyDunc – Member

The bottom line is that a rigid fork on a low end bike means more profit for the manufacturers, **** all to do with anything else.

If the rest of the spec is identical, you’re right. But that’s not likely to be the case.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘The return of the rigid fork?’ is closed to new replies.