Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The reply-all-calypse
  • nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Anyone heard about this? Some kid at the university of new york accidentally forwarded an email to all 40,000 students – instead of just his “mom”. Amazing what Americans think is news, but I guess 40,000 people must be some sort of record for an accidental email.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnTFqtMLJpc

Some sent him death threats, some invited him to parties. Some sent pictures of Nick cage.

Anyone done this by accident before?

matthewjb
    Free Member

At work someone managed to send an email to everyone in the global address book. We employ around 52,000 people! She then replied to all to apologise.

Email nearly melted down with people either replying to say hi or replying to tell people to stop it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

have you seen that daft cat lol

djglover
    Free Member

Once some hr dude sent a spreadsheet with all permanent employees details inc salary to the global address list. I had a copy for years!

Pook

Matthewjb – where do you work? the same happened to us, but the stupidest bit was people telling people to stop telling people to stop replying to all…..

zokes
    Free Member

Once some hr dude sent a spreadsheet with all permanent employees details inc salary to the global address list. I had a copy for years!

I bet that had an ‘interesting’ effect on the workplace dynamic…

trail_rat
    Free Member

How ?

At our work unless your a very specific subset of people you cannot reply to Dl All

Djglover do you work for us …… Or does tht happen when ever a disgruntled hr lacky leaves 🙂

Riksbar

Had a friend who set up automatic forwarding on separate email addresses in different offices to the other account. This was fine until an e-mail hit one account, got forwarded to the other, got forwarded back, got forwarded on, forwarded back, forwarded on…

wattsymtb
    Free Member

We recently had a guy do this about a tax issue which had resulted in him being 80p out of pocket over a year. Cue everyone replying to all and replying to all to tell people to stop replying to all.

One bloke sent one to the 25,000 people saying ‘I have a spare 80P in my pocket I am willing to give away to amend this situation and stop half of my day being wasted deleting e-mails. I can unfortunately only support this on a first come first served basis.’

maccruiskeen

Not a huge number of people involved but an email group I used to be part of ( to a whole business sector rather than just a company) got a reply-all to the sender of a message that read “See you later. ++++ you later”. As good a way as any for the rest of us to discover the too of them were now an item. 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

I trainee lawyer at my old firm accidentally sent an email to every lawyer in the firm worldwide asking “if anyone had found his belt which he lost at the xmas party”.

In a VERY unusual display of humour from some of my most senior colleagues, there were a number of replies-to-all from managing partners across the world saying things along the lines of “Hello William, We have checked the Los Angeles/Berlin/Kabul office and there is no sign of your belt here. Good luck with your search”.

🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

In the old days of POP mail, I set my Out of Office, then sent one last email – to someone also Out of Office. This was before servers knew to just reply once to a sender. Cue Out of Office tennis, 10,000 mails and mailserver meltdown.

ahwiles
    Free Member

years ago, at uni, i went on the uni-ski-club-ski-trip.

the next year i sorted out my own trip with some friends, it worked out about the same price, but we flew instead taking a bus, we had a hire car, and stayed in a really nice wooden chalet with open fires and a hot tub instead of a tiny, cold, concrete bunker.

the next year i recieved a group email from the ski club inviting me on their trip, i replied ‘no’ explaining why – and accidently (really) sent it to everyone on the list.

i still don’t think that’s such a big deal, but the ski club went bat-sh**-crazy at me.

which i reacted badly to:

i guessed the ski-club’s hotmail password (it was something really secure like ‘skiing’) and did some digging.

i found a spreadsheet from the previous year’s trip, with names and payments on, it was very clear that the ski-club committee members were getting a freebie.

(everyone else was paying around £350)

so i sent the spreadsheet out to everyone.

maccruiskeen

FYI

cynic-al
    Free Member

A lawyer in one of our (well my former employer’s) European offices somehow managed to email all the European offices asking where her dry-cleaning was. Quite a few partners made light of it, much like Mr File’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The reply-all-calypse’ is closed to new replies.