Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The relative cost of bike stuff and hoarding
  • letmetalktomark

I’m not a hoarder ….. honestly 😆

It seems to be an annual occurrence that as the nicer weather returns I look at the bikes (and bits) I own and haven’t ridden (or used) for a while and look at having a clear out.

Recently though with prices creeping up I’ve found myself thinking I could sell this now but in 6 months a years time if I want something similar it will cost 50% (say) more than it did originally.*

Conversely the price fro SH “things” seems to be falling.

Soooooo I’ve found myself dismantling and storing.

Recipe for disaster?

Anyone else doing similar?

* I appreciate this is is actually often the case but price hikes now seem much higher.

BillOddie

I was thinking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that I need a decent clear out.

With standards moving quickly it feels like having a spares bin is almost pointless these days.

I think my rule of thumb will be:
    Keep if I have a bike that it will fit, otherwise flog/bin.

roverpig

It’s a tricky one and something I have been pondering recently too. On the one hand the endless changes in standards means that stuff only seems to be worth anything when it is almost new anyway. On the other hand we could be heading for some big price hikes post Brexit. Note, that’s could, not are, I’m not a fortune teller, but it’s at least a possibility. So, having enough stuff in the shed to keep you going for a fair few years could be a good policy.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I have this policy that I only hoard stuff that I think is good, or suits my riding purposes.
    EG 10 speed kit – I have always hated front mechs and chain devices, so when large range cassettes and NW came along I was thrilled. Even though standards are changing, I am happy with 10 speed on any MTB I own. Therefore happy to keep and store 10 speed kit (or above if I come across it). Conversely I have sold, binned, or given away all my 9 speed kit, other than a few decent LH shifters that might serve as uppydowny remotes.
    I now that I will gradually be weaning off 26 too as I already have one 27.5 bike and really like it, so when the the two 26ers I have decide to die, then all my 26 wheels and forks will be offloaded..

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The problem I’ve found with hoarding stuff is you get to a point where you say “Oh, I’ve got shifters, mechs, cassette, bars, stem, chainset, pedals. If I bought a new frame I could build a whole new bike with that and end up spending money you were going to ‘save’ by hoarding by building an n+1 bike”

wl
    Free Member

I’m a terrible hoarder. Over the last 6 months I finally got a grip and sold tons of old bike kit: two full bikes, hardtail frame, two sets of forks, Cane Creek shock and 4 wheels. All 26″ stuff. Made £2.5k in total. I reckon I lost out by hanging onto stuff, especially a 2008 Patriot which went for £700.

cynic-al
    Free Member

The flip side is stuff is worth so little sh it’s sometimes worth keeping just in case*

*I live alone.

5plusn8
    Free Member

The problem I’ve found with hoarding stuff is you get to a point where you say “Oh, I’ve got shifters, mechs, cassette, bars, stem, chainset, pedals. If I bought a new frame I could build a whole new bike with that and end up spending money you were going to ‘save’ by hoarding by building an n+1 bike”

Seems like a solution not a problem..

(Lame attempts at witticisms aside, isn’t this the actual point of hoarding?)

5plusn8
    Free Member

funny double post issue.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i hate dealing with buyers and posting stuff

so i just either use it till it dies of death or give it to someone who will use it.

i think ive sold maybe 4 bikes ever…. usually they die of old age.

5plusn8
    Free Member

i hate dealing with buyers and posting stuff

I can feel your pain. Been there done that, better to give it to friends.

Northwind

Broadly speaking, I keep anything I think I’m likely to reuse, and anything that isn’t worth the hassle of selling (or I give it away). Traditionally worked pretty well but in these days of unpredictable planned obsolescence it’s basically impossible to judge what stuff will hold value and what stuff you should dump- good hubs were always worth keeping investment til Boost came along, 26er parts obviously plunged in value… So it’s more of a crapshoot. I have some nice spare brakes but next year when they change the diameter of handlebars or the spacing of post mounts they’ll be worthless

I just built an entire bike and only bought the frame and fork, everything else was in the spares box, that’s probably not healthy.

core

I’ve just dismantled and sold (shit, that reminds me, need to post it) a frame from a bike I wasn’t using, though it was sharing wheels, it was just sat there in the shed doing nothing, and I’ve realised I’ll never do it justice.

Also flogged one set of forks, another to go, then two sets of bars, some 9spd stuff, some cranks, and that’s about it. Will probably end up virtually giving a lot of it away tbh, less hassle than posting awkward shaped crap, and better to just get a fiver and stop myself building another N+1 machine.

irc

It’s worth hoarding stuff that will become hard to find. Got a saddle that works perfectly for you? Buy a spare or two before it goes out of production. Rapid rise rear deraileurs? I like them with bar end shifters so I’ve got two or three on the shelf.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Was sure this was going to be full of stealth ads.

#disappointed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘The relative cost of bike stuff and hoarding’ is closed to new replies.