Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The "regular" Wednesday night Pentlands ride…
  • ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Dont know what the Pentlands are like right now as I havent ridden since the Puffer, but is the regular ride still going ahead?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've been up a couple of times this week, including yesterday, and it's very wet and muddy up there. There is also still a fair bit of snow on the climb from Harlaw to Maidens, although from there to Flotterstone is fine.

It's not the most fun place to ride at the moment as all the more interesting bits are best avoided while the ground is this soft.

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Something different then? Corstorphine Hill?

Northwind

We got more snow last night as well, though not a lot. Just in from a very short ride, even the trails that aren't too vulnerable to damage are very slippy, there's a thin layer of slime on basically everything. Quite good fun but i fell twice while walking 😳 But I wouldn't even think of doing nail trail, the bottom half of pistachio etc for the time being.

The rocky chute at the bottom of poet's glen seems to have aquired a few more rocks as well, which i'm sure some people will hate but I like it. Quite a lot of the "new" surface from a few years ago is now spread down the road…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think a regular night ride is a good call – cossie hill until the pentlands dries out a bit is not a bad call either. Unfortunately I work some wed nights so its a bit tricky for me to organise it.

Northwind

What's the deal with cycling at corstorphine hill? A quick google suggests it's a) good and b) not allowed…

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Cycling is tolerlated by most of the locals and I've never had any problems there.

Could do another night if Wednesdays are a problem for people. Tuesdays?

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Bump

jimmy

I'm keen to know where people ride on Corstorphine Hill. Been up there a couple of times but don't see what's to keep you there beyond half an hour.

Definitely keen if people are going.

robgarrioch

I've only heard about DH type riding at Corstorphine – can longer routes be strung together for an hours riding?
    As Kit has alluded here, Saturday nights slushy snow has rendered Pentlands extra soft, better stick to the surfaced paths for now…
    (my bike's in the shop atm but keeping an eye out for any gatherings)

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

There isnt a great deal but it makes a fun evening doing circuits of whats there. I'm free on Tuesday and Wednesday night if other people would like to join.

Kit
    Free Member

Don't want to rain on the parade, but personally I wouldn't want to join a group ride on Corstorphine Hill. Its clear the influence/damage that bikes have had on the hill since access was granted under the LRA, and the majority of walkers I've met up there have usually given me The Eye, indicating that they're still not happy about us being there. I don't mind going for a muckabout on my own when its quiet, or with one or two folk, but group rides are likely to cause more damage (especially just now) and piss off locals.

Unfortunately with the Pentlands in a dire state, there's little other quality riding 🙁 The Braid Burn Valley behind Blackford Hill has some nice stuff, but again pretty limited. I'd be interested in TJ's stuff that he's found along from Leith though.

I think I'll be doing most of my riding from now 'til Spring on my own or with only a few people to minimise my impact on the trails around Edinburgh. Might even take up a bit of road riding, if I get desperate enough!

See ya'll after Easter!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Corstorphine hill is fine so long as you remember to be reasonable and I personally haven't seen any bike damage. its only really enough for half an hour or an hour tho as its a small area. another area that really needs a test case but my interpretation of LRA says we should be able to ride there. its definitely one to give way to pedestrians tho.

Kit – the various bits of singletrack I know around here are not enough to keep a group occupied for long and are rather scattered about anyway.

Arthurs seat anyone? couple of nice DH runs on that

daveb
    Free Member

I will be up for some of these rides but not for a few weeks, sticking to longer commutes for the moment but once the trails have had a bit to recover will be back out for regular mid week rides.

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Arthur's Seat would be good also. Have to go after dark else you get chased by eager volunteer wardens

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

Righto, im going cycling tomorrow after work. It'll be Arthurs Seat (shhh!). Would anyone care to join me?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The "regular" Wednesday night Pentlands ride…’ is closed to new replies.