Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The Really Big Museum
  • SaxonRider

Please offer up to 3 items you wish to have entered into the Really Big Museum, and give brief reasons for each. Items may include anything from buildings, to art, to inventions, to people, to pieces of music, to specific types of cars or planes or boats, or whatever.

1. Gate of Ishtar: for sheer beauty, and the incredible testament it represents to early engineering and aesthetics

2. Charlemagne’s Sword: for what it represents in terms of the revival of education and culture after the fall of the Roman Empire, and for European culture

3. The Harp: As a musical instrument, it represents humankind’s earliest cultural/spiritual/intellectual aspirations, and the transformation from something developed for hunting and fighting into art

Jakester
    Free Member

People who rip off The Museum of Curiosity… 😀

SaxonRider

Whoops. I forgot about that. But that show includes stupid and/or ethereal things. The Really Big Museum is meant to house only actual things

perchypanther
    Free Member

A gigantic gift shop which sells enormous pencils and humongous rubbers.

A gargantuan cafe where you can by brobdingnagian sandwiches

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I want to pick more than 3 but if them’s the rules then Dolly the sheep, a Saturn 5 rocket and a sextant

SaxonRider

Interesting choices, muppetWrangler.

A brief comment on why could make the thread more interesting, mind… 😉

hot_fiat

1. The Austo-Hungarian Empire. Events there in 1914 are still impacting our world today.
    2. Baikonur Cosmodrome, arguably the driving force for much of the space race and the plethora of modern technology that it spurred (Proper rocketry thanks to Koralev, Sputnik, Sat coms, GPS, everything that came about as a result of the Apollo and Shuttle programmes).
    3. The squash court, under the Chicago uni sports stadium that Fermi built the first reactor in. Wholly irresponsible, but world-transforming.

Cougar

1) NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building. The largest building in the world (by area I think) – you’re going to need a REALLY big museum.

I’ll have a think about two more.

allthegear
    Free Member

The ARM processor. Probably done more to change how we use technology than anything in the last 30 years.
    Small, low power, massively cheaper than other options.

Pity it’s not British any more, eh?

Rachel

johndoh
    Free Member

A 1:11111111112 scale model of the Really Big Museum made out of Lego.

fasthaggis

Harrison’s timemachines

The work and dreams of this very humble man are breathtaking.
    Design at its best
    The Manx Norton for it’s simple agricultural beauty.
    My Dad used to race a Manx,so they are always the picture that pops into my brain when I hear the word Motorbike

and finally..
    A Juno replica to remind us how much we humans can achieve when we put our best minds to it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

1) NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building. The largest building in the world (by area I think) – you’re going to need a REALLY big museum.

Boeing at Everett.

Had a guided tour of the floor once, on a golf cart, Austin Powers style, with Boeing’s head of security. Fascinating place. It’s big enough to have bike shops!

It’s so big, it used to get weather. Yep. Seriously. Big enough to form clouds that dropped rain. Inside! They’ve improved the air circulation now, so that’s changed.

IHN

1) NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building. The largest building in the world (by area I think)

I think it was by volume, and it probably isn’t any more what with the crazy big skyscrapers.

Anyway:

1) Babbage’s difference engine
    2) Richard Trevithick’s high pressure steam engine
    3) Seiko 5

unklehomered
    Free Member

Right.

The Enigma Machine – symbolic of so much, responsible for so much and indirectly the inspiration for modern computing.

The A1 Peppercorn Tornado – as part of detailed exhibit documenting how it was made, by a dedicated few.

The Ard Rock Enduro – I’ll settle for Stages 1,2 and 6 – basically Fremmington Edge, and village, complete with the full festival atmosphere. Animatronic if you must, but the stages are rideable. (you said the museum was really big yeah?)

Edukator
    Free Member

Fender 52 Telecaster, a Hi-Watt and Marshall 4×12 with greenbacks.

kcr
    Free Member

I know it’s a crazy, left field suggestion on this forum, but could I suggest the bicycle…?

A prehistoric flint tool to represent the beginning of a world engineered by humans.

kcr
    Free Member

Number 3: A Sumerian written tablet to represent the start of information recorded permanently and independently of human memory.

gordimhor

The Mesopotamian shekel as possibly the earliest example of commodity money. To provoke thought about whether the development of commodity money was a positive or negative step

dannybgoode

1/ because we have the Enigma machine it would be remiss to have Colossus.
    2/ not exactly large but the first transistor. Without the switch from valves to transistors the world would be very very different
    3/ the Hubble space telescope (when it’s finally retired) – done so much to further our understanding of the universe.

garage-dweller

the bicycle

All very well but it will start with just one and … Well we know what will happen next…

Before long the Austro-Hungarian empire will be under a 12 foot high pile of bicycles and it will be hard to get into the NASA building twenty minutes after that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

All very well but it will start with just one and … Well we know what will happen next…

There’ll be an argument about the wheel size.

My three, however;

The Rosetta Stone – For services to communication and understanding.
    The Ford Model T – For services to manufacturing and mobility.
    The Internet – For services to education and entertainment. (The concept, so not entirely sure how to exhibit it!)

RustySpanner

A pre ’80’s Double Decker (before they took the raisins out).

Honda C90.

Moira Stuart.

IHN

The Rosetta Stone – For services to communication and understanding

Well it aided understating of hieroglyphics, so communication with dead Egyptians, I’ll give you that.

epicyclo

allthegear – Member
    The ARM processor. Probably done more to change how we use technology than anything in the last 30 years.

Raspberry Pi – going to shape a whole new generation of programmers. Get your kids on here if you haven’t already. (And it is British)

The Wright bicycle – close to perfection and the promise of things to come

And then I’d add 3 bridges, one for each century because a really big museum needs really big things. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

IHN, it helped us learn how to break the codes of language, I reckon. A bit like learning Latin or ancient Greek helps improve an understanding of how languages as a whole work. Certainly helped me having learned both.

brakes
    Free Member

Kylie
    Louise
    Brad Pitt

garage-dweller

1) A Spitfire. An icon but also a truly beautiful aircraft and probably (to my ears) the best aircraft sound ever.

2) A copy of The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Not only is it spit your coffee out funny but it is beautifully written and places it’s hero in nearly every major historic event of the 20th century.

3) An exhibit made up of International 14 dinghies over the life of the class. Nothing could chart better the evolution of dinghy / sailboat development over many many decades from heavy clinker built boats through single and double trapezes, glass fibre, double hulls, space frames, carbon fibre, asymmetric spinnakers and hydrofoil tech.

Really biassed to my interests but noone said you lot had to like what went in and we have the space unless someone brings a bike in… 😛

nickc

The Mesopotamian shekel as possibly the earliest example of commodity money

mleh, humans have been trading using transferable debt obligations for at least 20,000 years

Ishango bone

Watty

The padded short.
    The suspension fork.
    The clip-less pedal.

CountZero

2. Baikonur Cosmodrome, arguably the driving force for much of the space race and the plethora of modern technology that it spurred (Proper rocketry thanks to Koralev, Sputnik, Sat coms, GPS, everything that came about as a result of the Apollo and Shuttle programmes).

Mmmmm, being a bit picky here, without Werner Von Braun and the Nazis, there wouldn’t be the V2 rocket, without which there probably wouldn’t be modern rockets as we understand them, and satellites were described by Arthur C.Clarke, who also formulated the concept of geostationary orbit, the Clarke Orbit.
    Struggling to suggest anything that hasn’t already been suggested, tbh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I have one more? Pretty please?

The word “Museum”.

It means, “Let us think”.

That deserves a place, surely!

garage-dweller

That deserves a place, surely!

We will let you put it outside above the door. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

jairaj

The Internet – For services to education and entertainment. (The concept, so not entirely sure how to exhibit it!)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

England.
    Jamba’s ego.
    The worlds supply of Anchovies, all in one place.

Then I’d bolt the door.

unklehomered
    Free Member

And then I’d add 3 bridges, one for each century because a really big museum needs really big things.

I’m sensing a wing of the museum may be a hybrid landscape, a very literal best of Britain, we could put Fremington edge onto the banks of the forth, say a mile back.

Who’s nominating something for the other side.

epicyclo, your exhibit present engineering conundrums, the water would have to be running to be accurate. Also wind for the full experience.

pondo

Can we put Silverstone in, too? As long as it can still run events, of course.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Brexit bus.

epicyclo

unklehomered – Member
    …epicyclo, your exhibit present engineering conundrums, the water would have to be running to be accurate. Also wind for the full experience.

Simple.

We’ll put Binners in there. His obsession with bed-wetting should solve the flowing water problem.

Add a few STW big hitters and a suitable topic for guaranteed wind. 🙂

garage-dweller

We’ll put Binners in there. His obsession with bed-wetting should solve the flowing water problem.

Add a few STW big hitters and a suitable topic for guaranteed wind

If instead of a cafe it had a curry house with copious lager supplies we could solve both issues without imprisoning binners.

Might have to upgrade the loo block though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘The Really Big Museum’ is closed to new replies.